PHP Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(433) : eval()'d code on line 110
who hates being called farang??? - Page 7
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: who hates being called farang???

Quote Originally Posted by Lime View Post
    Hi Mikel,
    For some extent, we're quite blunt - lol.
    Yes, its a strange paradox (in a land full of paradoxes) that this "bluntness" sits alongside a strong desire in the Thai psyche not to offend. Just another thing making them such an interesting people.
    Ӽ

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by acoustic25 View Post
    I do

To be honest we are foreigners in their country but still i think its disrespectful to call us this. i would never dream of calling anyone in England a foreigner when they are on holiday or living here. Being called European or Western would be better and far more efficient.

any other thoughts on this matter?

kind regards
    jay
    I don't see it as a problem and agree with Ian71....... let's be honest many tourists well deserve being tagged "ting tong farang" with their drunken and disrespectful antics.

Regards
    Greg

Thanks

Hi Mikel,

I am glad that my post has answered your question. I just want to also say that when we (Thais) see a skinny person, we say 'skinny' or even call you a skeleton. At the same time we you ugly if you appear ugly to them but we have different ways of saying that are not as blunt and hurtful. Moreover, Thai people also use positive words like ' beautiful' or handsome or you have a great body/good shape ( Hoon-Dee/蹴 ) with those fit the category. Basically Thai people say what they see (as I mentioned earlier) not what they want the person they are talking to wants to hear. We (in general) all know that lots of us (in general) want to hear only positive words and compliments, unfortunately, not in Thailand. For some extent, we're quite blunt - lol.
    Thanks Lime,
    Well, "blunt" works for me as I've been described that way in Australia my entire life and it's almost always been considered a problem.

Mikel.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nam phyyng View Post
    Yes, its a strange paradox (in a land full of paradoxes) that this "bluntness" sits alongside a strong desire in the Thai psyche not to offend. Just another thing making them such an interesting people.
    I guess, using a cross cultural frame of reference, it's not really a paradox.

Offence is only present when the person spoken TO feels offended.

If that person is from a culture (Thai) where honest description of appearance is the norm, then most people won't BE offended by an honest description of their appearance.
    So
    Something that would be offensive in Australia (Eg saying, "you are fat" when you are actually fat.) would not be offensive to a Thai person who expects that kind of honest description to be used.

In contrast, I'm sure there are things you can say to a Thai person which they WOULD be offended by that an Australian wouldn't care less about. It's about enculturation and socialization.

Peace,
    Mikel.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AzureAussie View Post
    I guess, using a cross cultural frame of reference, it's not really a paradox.

Offence is only present when the person spoken TO feels offended.

If that person is from a culture (Thai) where honest description of appearance is the norm, then most people won't BE offended by an honest description of their appearance.
    So
    Something that would be offensive in Australia (Eg saying, "you are fat" when you are actually fat.) would not be offensive to a Thai person who expects that kind of honest description to be used.

In contrast, I'm sure there are things you can say to a Thai person which they WOULD be offended by that an Australian wouldn't care less about. It's about enculturation and socialization.

Peace,
    Mikel.
    There is nothing wrong being blunt just that the other person has to learn to accept and deal with it

Mikel, my Aussie husband called me ' a donkey ' one day which caused an enormous break down inside me. I threw a small object (think it was a pen or a bottle cap) that I had in my hand at the time at him without delaying. He was a bit shocked (I didn't hurt him, though). I said you said I was stupid and thick!!! He claimed that he didn't say it. I wasn't convinced until he explained what the term ' donkey ' actually meant. The word 'Donkey' in Thailand is insulting because donkey is " La " and " La " is stupid and thick for Thai people.

To keep everybody happy in Australia, I have noticed how Australians make comments on people and I think they lie - lol. I have also learnt to be not so blunt but I argue within me

Thanks

I have also learnt to be not so blunt but I argue within me
    Whoops!, I meant I have also learnt NOT TO BE SO BLUNT (or truthful if it sounds better )

Thanks

Hi Lime,

Yeah, Aussies have a tendency to use a lot of "affectionate insults", we call our friends "bastard" and "dozey bugger" and all kinds of insulting terms as indications of our affection and friendship. The affection is implied or might be present in the tone used, but "tone" is one of those things it's particularly tough to interpret or notice in your second language. Glad you and your guy worked it out. Just as well you didn't have a carving knife in your hand at the time! )

Mikel.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,588 Times in 1,854 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by AzureAussie View Post
    Hi Lime,

Yeah, Aussies have a tendency to use a lot of "affectionate insults", we call our friends "bastard" and "dozey bugger" and all kinds of insulting terms as indications of our affection and friendship. The affection is implied or might be present in the tone used, but "tone" is one of those things it's particularly tough to interpret or notice in your second language. Glad you and your guy worked it out. Just as well you didn't have a carving knife in your hand at the time! )

Brilliant explanation! That's one of of the difficulties in cross-cultural communication. I am Asian and I have been a witness to such free trading of insults between farang friends --best friends at that!-- and I was very uncomfortable about it. I couldn't appreciate why two buddies who would die for each other would take pleasure in pouncing on each other like they're mortal enemies! At that time I thought that was very weird, even sick.

Thanks for your insight.

Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or an idiot from any direction.

Thanks

I wasn't convinced until he explained what the term ' donkey ' actually meant.
    Okay, I'll bite: what does it actually mean in Australia?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GkapiBreath View Post
    Okay, I'll bite: what does it actually mean in Australia?
    My understanding is that just being silly.

~Lime~

Thread Information