PHP Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(433) : eval()'d code on line 110
Pronouns

Thread: Pronouns

Thanks

Pronouns

I'm working through a chapter on pronouns and have come across some pronouns I've never heard of. Can anyone share a definition and usage?

First Person
    อาตมา

Second Person
    ฝ่าพระบาท
    โยม

ใต้เท้า -- I found this one defined as "your excellency" Not living in a monarcy, I don't use that pronoun very often....is it only the king, or is it any royal person?

Thanks

Re: Pronouns

First Person
    อาตมา
    Me, Myself, I, This word is only used by used by monks

Second Person
    ฝ่าพระบาท A very high form of address equivalent to Your Highness, Your holiness (in the case of the สมเด็จพระสังฆราช the supreme patriarch)

โยม
    Another word used only by monks meaning "you" Or depending on how it is used it could even mean "parishioner or layman"
    A monk might ask you โยม อายุ เท่าไร?

the layperson might answer โยม อายู สามสิบปีครับ So in this case when talking to a monk โยม could also be said to mean "me" or "I"

ใต้เท้า Also a high form of address meaning "Your Highness" "Your excellency" or "Your Honour" If I remember correctly this word is not only used for royalty.

Thanks

Re: Pronouns

Thanks, good to know!

Thread Information