PHP Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(433) : eval()'d code on line 110
Influence of Tai languages on modern Thai language
    Thanks

Influence of Tai languages on modern Thai language

Hi everyone,

I'm looking for any resources about Lanna and Lao language in accordance to Thai language. I know that there is quite good Thai-Isan-Lao Phrasebook but do you know any others? I'm looking for lignuitstic informations not for only vocab. Thanks in advance for help

Thanks

Re: Influence of Tai languages on modern Thai language

You may ask for some suggestions from the lecturers from Research Institute for Language and Culture of Asia, Mahidol University. It is the well-known and largest institute in Thailand offerinng doctoral degrees in southeast-asian linguistics.

I cannot post the web here, but you can use a google search. Just type the Research Institute......

Hope this helps

Thanks

There is a recently published book written by Thomas Hudak which presents an overview of Tai dialects that were originally studied by William Gedney from data he collected beginning about fifty or sixty years ago. Gedney was a researcher who performed some of the first systematic studies of Tai languages using modern linguistic techniques.

The book gives a brief introduction to the geography and phonology of Tai languages, and then has short sections on each of the 19 dialects studied. You can get a good idea of the kind of information presented by looking at the preview of the book linked below. Following that, the rest of the book gives the data collected by Gedney, showing the phonological and tonal characteristics of each dialect. This part is actually the bulk of the book, containing lists of basic words with translations and phonetic representations.

Google books preview of Hudak's book

Various dialects studied are shown on this map.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tai.png 
Views:	96 
Size:	98.6 KB 
ID:	6815

Thanks

Tiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiim!

Thanks

Thanks for help

Thanks

If you're looking for an example of influence, you can look at the words beginning with . They fall into three main groups - onomatopoeia, doublets of words in , and loans from English. The change r > h has occurred in most Tai dialects (Siamese and Ahom being the primary exceptions), so they're not particularly diagnostic as to source dialect. Of course, much influence has gone the other way - the Maefahluang dictionary of Northern Thai (NT) lists many words as being loans from Siamese.

Another effect of this change on Siamese has been the widespread merger of /r/ and /l/. This I think is the result of attempting to speak Siamese in one's native Lao or NT phonology, combined with the fact that cross-linguistically /r/ is one of the last consonants mastered. Curiously, we don't see a tendency to merge of /ch/ and /s/, though again Lao and NT natively lack /ch/. On numeric grounds I would expect Lao influence rather than NT influence.

Cluster simplification is a difficult one to call. While Lao and NT have both eliminates clusters in /l/ and /r/, their elimination is again another pan-Tai change with Siamese being one of the most conservative dialects.

Thanks

Thanks, Richard. For others who are not aware, the thai-language.com dictionary gives an easy way to find words beginning with a particular letter.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard W View Post
    doublets of words in
    I guess examples of those include ѡ and ʹ, corresponding to ѡ and ʹ.

But also seems to stand in for other sounds in Central Thai, for instance , ֡, and ش, which are apparently related to , ֡, and ش (or maybe both ش and ش come from شء, which is given in the Royal Institute dictionary). What is your take on these?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tim View Post
    Thanks, Richard. For others who are not aware, the thai-language.com dictionary gives an easy way to find words beginning with a particular letter.

I guess examples of those include ѡ and ʹ, corresponding to ѡ and ʹ.

But also seems to stand in for other sounds in Central Thai, for instance , ֡, and ش, which are apparently related to , ֡, and ش (or maybe both ش and ش come from شء, which is given in the Royal Institute dictionary). What is your take on these?

ʹ, To arrive (֧) eg ʹҹ To have arrived home. Դʹ I miss you.

ʹ To be safe. To have survived ʹԵ ʹ To have escaped death.

Thread Information