PHP Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(433) : eval()'d code on line 110
TB and air travel
    Thanks

TB and air travel

Will be traveling to SE Asia in June on Malaysia Airlines' Asia Pass that allows me to fly up to 24 cities in 21 days. I'm going to Singapore, Bangkok, Saigon, Kuala Lumpur and Taipei. Some of these cities have a high level of TB in the population, which I was already aware of before planning on this trip. Since we will be on the plane about 8x, what is the risk of exposed to TB just from the air travel? I understand that the air in the plan is recirculated during the entire flight.

Ferret Guest
    here is one for you to think about, the air that comes into the aircraft is 0% humidity, completely dry. The humidity in the aircraft is derived from the passengers bodies, ie passengers breathing, coughing, sneezing etc. Any airborne bacteria can be circulated throughout the aircraft.
    TB is spread as an airborne bacteria and usually starts in a persons lungs.
    For more info look here TB LINK

Thanks
    Tubercolosis is no longer a deadly illness, so I'm surprised that you would fear it more than say, SARS... If you do catch TB, just stop over at any pharmacy in Singapore and get some TB curing pills. Take them with water a couple of days and voila, you're as good as new. No need to fear TB, it's also not common in these parts anymore. But SARS and H5N1....those are killer.

Thanks
    I don't know where you're from, but in the UK at least it's very easy to get the BCG vaccination against TB.

Ferret Guest
    There are two vaccines effective against bird flu, Relenza and Tamiflu, both developed by CSIRO in Australia.
    web page
    Have a look at this link if you are interested.
    There was a strain of TB that was mutating in Asia a few years ago and the authorities here in OZ were worried, but havn't heard anything for a long while so it must be under control.

Thread Information