PHP Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(433) : eval()'d code on line 110
My Travel Story: A few sites around Hua Hin
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,285 Times in 555 Posts

A few sites around Hua Hin

I have been wanting to visit Hua Hin for awhile now but for some reason something has always come up to stop me. All the Thai people I have spoken to have told me how beautiful it is, lovely beaches, a great night market and most importantly....a very romantic place to be. Many Farangs have told me that the beaches are OK but the town is a bit boring.....so in late March 2010 I finally went to see for myself. I planned to stay 4 or 5 days then head to Bangkok to look for a new camera.

I was not disappointed, Hua Hin does have a beautiful coast line with very clean white beaches, the town area down by the sea side gave me a very nice feeling just walking around exploring its narrow streets lined with old wooden buildings, heaps of restaurants scatter the beach front all have the option for balcony dinning with great ocean views, the seafood is fresh and delicious. The night market is a must visit with everything a tourist could possible want to buy and a very nice atmosphere. I bought a few Hua Hin ĎTí shirts and fridge magnets for friends back in Australia (big spender).

I spent the first part of the day casually driving to Hua Hin from Pattaya, took about 4 hours with stops along the way. I put the Hua Hin train station into GPS and it took me straight there, with only one mistake (my fault) that took me 10kmís in the wrong direction before I could find a U turn again the road condition was excellent.

Once I arrived I then looked around for a hotel while exploring the town, I found a lot of very reasonably priced places to stay but nowhere to park a car due to the narrow streets, I eventually settled on the City Beach Resort, situated between the night markets and the Hilton Hotel.

The next day I decided to drive out to see Pa La-U waterfalls, the lady at the hotel reception was very helpful, she informed me that the best time to visit the falls is between July-November, she pointing me in the right direction, told me to take some water and my swimmers, she even gave me a hotel towel to use, as I was about to head off she then told me (with a big smile on her face) to be careful of tigers!!!

The falls are located 60km west of Hua Hin in the Kaeng Krachan National Park, this is one of Thailandís biggest National Parks and with 15 tiers, it makes it one of Thailandís highest as well. This national park forms part of the Thailand, Myanmar (Burma) boarder.

I Put Pa La-U falls into the GPS and to my surprise it was in there, under attractions, but they are very well sign posted along the way in both English and Thai, as is another attraction on the same road, Wat Huay Mongkol, seeing as I was going to pass it I decided to drop in and take a look.

Wat Huay Mongkol is located about 18km out of Hua Hin and has a very large and very impressive statue of Buddist monk Luang Phor Thuad, who is believed to have performed many miracles in his time. Wat Huay Mongkol also has an elephant sanctuary (which I did not visit) and large park area. I didnít spend much time here, just under an hour.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.jpg 
Views:	142 
Size:	155.9 KB 
ID:	6840
    The entrance to Wat Huay Mongkol.

Name:	2.jpg 
Views:	476 
Size:	96.9 KB 
ID:	6841

Name:	3.jpg 
Views:	174 
Size:	151.5 KB 
ID:	6842

Name:	5.jpg 
Views:	129 
Size:	284.8 KB 
ID:	6844
    There are 4 of these smaller images of Luang Phor Thuad, and they are covered in gold leaf.

Name:	4.jpg 
Views:	203 
Size:	185.7 KB 
ID:	6843 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6.jpg 
Views:	140 
Size:	174.6 KB 
ID:	6845
    The detail of the statue is very impressive.
    ď The best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago. The second best time is now. Ē
    - Chinese Proverb

2. The Following User Says Thank You to fileeep For This Useful Post:

MaiZa (15-08-13)

Thanks

Re: A few sites around Hua Hin

The drive to Pa La-U waterfalls passes many Pineapple plantationís, they are everywhere........then heading into the hills where the forest scenery is stunning, there were quite a few farming trucks and tractors on the road, making the going slow so I had a chance enjoy the view.

There is a small town about 5 kmís from the falls, this is the last place to pick up some food and water, as nothing is available once in the falls. This is where I noticed this sign.

Views:	159 
Size:	360.4 KB 
ID:	6846
    So...what should you do if you came face to face with a wild elephant.....donít feed him?

The entrance fee is 200 baht for a Farang...i showed my car papers (as I only have an international driver licence) and was charged the Thai price of 80 baht with no charge for the car.

Views:	167 
Size:	130.1 KB 
ID:	6848

Views:	180 
Size:	223.6 KB 
ID:	6847
    This is the start of the trail, a very shaded picnic area with toilets.

Views:	168 
Size:	187.5 KB 
ID:	6849 Click image for larger version. 

Views:	148 
Size:	211.2 KB 
ID:	6850Click image for larger version. 

Views:	132 
Size:	223.6 KB 
ID:	6851
    ď The best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago. The second best time is now. Ē
    - Chinese Proverb

4. The Following User Says Thank You to fileeep For This Useful Post:

MaiZa (15-08-13)

Thanks

Views:	131 
Size:	178.7 KB 
ID:	6852 Click image for larger version. 

Views:	128 
Size:	198.5 KB 
ID:	6853

Views:	120 
Size:	222.4 KB 
ID:	6854 Click image for larger version. 

Views:	168 
Size:	200.5 KB 
ID:	6856
    Took my first dip here at level 3.
    Even though there was little water flowing it was still very cool and refreshing.

The first 3 levels are not much of an effort to cover.....however!!!!

Views:	163 
Size:	231.2 KB 
ID:	6855
    mmmmm, is there something i should know?
    - Chinese Proverb

6. The Following User Says Thank You to fileeep For This Useful Post:

MaiZa (15-08-13)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,318 Times in 3,446 Posts

I watched a repeat of Chef Rick Stein's "Far Eastern Odyssey" in which he visited Hua Hin on Sunday night. He lamented the disappearance of the food stalls at the night market since his last visit many years ago and interim development of the town in general, but said the food and food hygiene had improved, and still seemed to like the area generally.
    It is somewhere I would like to go as well.
    Last edited by David_Loves_Ubonwan; 15-04-10 at 05:27 PM. Reason: Corrected the link URL :)

Thanks

The going got a lot tougher from level 3 to 4 but was worth the effort as level 4 was the most impressive pool so far.

Views:	170 
Size:	220.5 KB 
ID:	6858 Click image for larger version. 

Views:	169 
Size:	182.1 KB 
ID:	6859
    Another swim cooled things off.

Views:	159 
Size:	257.1 KB 
ID:	6860 Click image for larger version. 

Views:	152 
Size:	216.1 KB 
ID:	6861
    This path to level 4 got the old heart rate up.....also...there was a lot of rustling in the under bushes and quite a lot of animal noises......Gibbon maybe?

Views:	165 
Size:	175.4 KB 
ID:	6862 Click image for larger version. 

Size:	187.5 KB 
ID:	6863
    Level 5 and another swim....
    There was a lot of climbing over rocks to get to level 5, but 5 was even better than level 4.....will this be the trend.....right up to level 15????
    - Chinese Proverb

9. The Following User Says Thank You to fileeep For This Useful Post:

MaiZa (15-08-13)

Thanks

I didnít go any further than level 5, it was enough and it just kept getting harder the higher you went.

Views:	183 
Size:	253.7 KB 
ID:	6868 Click image for larger version. 

Size:	228.3 KB 
ID:	6869
    I stayed at level 5 swimming around with these carp fish nibbling on my feet for a good half an hour.

I started chatting to one of Thaiís also swimming in the pool, he spoke very good English and told me that if I was heading back to Hua Hin I should stop by Dao Cave, he gave me very good directions, but I did get lost as it was not in the GPS but I eventually found it.

Views:	130 
Size:	209.1 KB 
ID:	6870
    The way back to level 4.....
    - Chinese Proverb

11. The Following User Says Thank You to fileeep For This Useful Post:

MaiZa (15-08-13)

Thanks

On the climb back down I was impressed by all the tree roots growing around the rocks....

Views:	226 
Size:	216.6 KB 
ID:	6871 Click image for larger version. 

Size:	221.1 KB 
ID:	6872 Click image for larger version. 

Views:	154 
Size:	170.8 KB 
ID:	6873

and this beautiful old tree.

Views:	173 
Size:	223.5 KB 
ID:	6874 Click image for larger version. 

Size:	209.7 KB 
ID:	6875

Simply stunning.

Just the other side of this old tree was a Thai family of about 10 people having a picnic....as I walked past, I'm sure looking rather heated, they asked me if I wanted to join them, I politely said Ďno thank you I am fullí in my best Thai, this was received very well with cheers and laughter from the group....the same thing happened when I walked pass the picnic area at the start of the trail on my way out, very funny...very nice.
    Last edited by fileeep; 14-04-10 at 05:33 PM.
    - Chinese Proverb

13. The Following User Says Thank You to fileeep For This Useful Post:

MaiZa (15-08-13)

Thanks

On the drive back to Hua Hin, it took awhile but I eventually found Dao Cave, by asking everyone I came across and a bit of luck, it is not far from Hua Hin, maybe 15 Kmís, I could find it again but couldnít tell you how to get there.....It is now marked it in the GPS.

Views:	144 
Size:	173.9 KB 
ID:	6876 Click image for larger version. 

Views:	138 
Size:	345.6 KB 
ID:	6877

Views:	480 
Size:	249.3 KB 
ID:	6878
    some of the 118 step up to the entrance of the cave.

Views:	134 
Size:	191.2 KB 
ID:	6879
    The entrance.

Views:	174 
Size:	288.7 KB 
ID:	6880 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	7.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	349.9 KB 
ID:	6881

At the bottom of the stairs a monk will turn on the cave lights for you. By this time it was around 3pm and quite hot, especially after climbing 118 steps, the cave was welcome relief . I was the only person in the cave to explore....as it seems, as long as I wanted. The lighting is not the best but only adds to the atmosphere. Unfortunately my camera flash wasnít working and I didnít have a tri-pod, so the only pictures worth sharing are the ones I posted, there are much better ones deeper in the cave.

It is amazing deeper in the cave with huge stalactites and stalagmites, thousands of years old all over the place, the cave winds into the side of the rock going lower and smaller, there is a little rickety ladder you climb down through a very small entrance that opens up into smaller inner cave.....fantastic. I will be going back there hopefully in May to take some pictures with a good camera and tri-pod.

There was a squeaking sound similar to that of a bat, it just kept squeaking...eek, eek, eek.....i didnít see any bat droppings on the floor so I'm not sure what it was, and there wasnít that musky bat smell.....eek, eek, eek......i shouted out Hello! And it stopped...only to start again about 15 seconds later eek, eek, eek.....Mia loo.....

Once out and back down on the ground there is a donation box......

Also, out on the ground a bit of construction is going on.....
    - Chinese Proverb

15. The Following User Says Thank You to fileeep For This Useful Post:

MaiZa (15-08-13)

Thanks

the construction is this.....

Views:	149 
Size:	360.2 KB 
ID:	6882
    can anyone translate this into English?

Views:	157 
Size:	199.7 KB 
ID:	6883 Click image for larger version. 

Views:	153 
Size:	371.0 KB 
ID:	6884 Click image for larger version. 

Views:	151 
Size:	139.2 KB 
ID:	6885

Views:	161 
Size:	208.3 KB 
ID:	6886 Click image for larger version. 

Views:	140 
Size:	362.1 KB 
ID:	6887
    this should look pretty impressive once finished.

after this i put in Hua Hin train station into the GPS to get me back to the hotel.....end of day two....
    - Chinese Proverb

17. The Following User Says Thank You to fileeep For This Useful Post:

MaiZa (15-08-13)

Thanks

The third day was going to be a 'take it easy beach day'. I got up early and packed a hat, sunscreen, a book and my dodgy camera in a small backpack. I was going to pick a beach and just walk all day, stopping at places to eat and read my book. The day looked OK at 8am from out the window of the hotel but when I came back from breakfast the weather had turned nasty, it was blowing a gale and raining.

I went to the look out on South Takiap Beach but the weather was too bad for a beach day.

Views:	158 
Size:	229.6 KB 
ID:	6888
    looking north at South Takiap Beach from the lookout.

Views:	119 
Size:	233.9 KB 
ID:	6889
    looking north at the lookout on Suan Son Beach.

Views:	128 
Size:	204.1 KB 
ID:	6890
    looking south on Suan Son Beach.

Views:	134 
Size:	359.4 KB 
ID:	6891
    everyone was indoors.....

I didnít want to spend the day indoors or by the hotel pool on such a drab day so I decided to check out and head to Bangkok and look for a camera...red shirts permitting of course.

cheers, .
    - Chinese Proverb

19. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to fileeep For This Useful Post:

MaiZa (15-08-13), nam phyyng (31-12-11), oeshidez (10-07-12), Susana (30-12-11)

Thread Information