PHP Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(433) : eval()'d code on line 110
Eating and Drinking: Culinary culture of Isan Cuisine
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,318 Times in 3,446 Posts

Culinary culture of Isan Cuisine

Culinary culture of Isan Cuisine
    The simple preparation methods and minimal equipment requirements of traditional dishes in the Kingdom's northeastern region

Published: 25/04/2010 at 12:00 AM
    Newspaper section: Brunch

These days Isan food - the cuisine of Thailand's northeastern region - has become a necessity for the people of Bangkok. They love it for its strong flavours. The larb dishes made from pork, beef or duck are similar to the yum dishes, combining saltiness, sourness and chilli heat. The salad-like som tam also blends sourness, saltiness and a strong peppery bite.

Name:  136470.jpg
Views: 584
Size:  25.5 KB
    HEALTHY OPTIONS: An array of vegetables with nam prik.

Grilled chicken or catfish, or other local fish that have been coated with salt and roasted on an open fire, are easy to make and delicious when eaten with a potent dipping sauce made from pounded dried chillies, nam pla ra (liquid from fermented fish) and nam pla (fish sauce).

Name:  136471.jpg
Views: 356
Size:  19.7 KB
    BASKETS OF JOY: Woven containers for sticky rice are still widely sold in rural Isan.

These are some of the main dishes for an Isan-style meal. Other specialities may also be available, depending on the preferences and creativity of the restaurant kitchen. There may be jim joom, which resembles sukiyaki sauce made with local vegetables, beef or squid; deep-fried chicken wings with salt; fried duck tongue; deep-fried, semi-dried pork or grilled pork neck meat. All are served with a spicy dipping sauce.

More: http://www.bangkokpost.com/leisure/r...f-isan-cuisine

Thanks

Re: Culinary culture of Isan Cuisine

The new season of Bizarre Foods with Andrew Zimmern kicked off this week with a special on Isan Food.

I have it saved on my dvr. I got as far (about 2 minutes in) as the cow placenta and had to turn the channel. I'll work myself up to the rest later this week.

Thanks

I love his show, at the younger time I used to eat new born BBQ toe nails not placenta.

I watch Tony's show too but he was drunken most of the time 55555.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Pailin View Post
    The new season of Bizarre Foods with Andrew Zimmern kicked off this week with a special on Isan Food.

I have it saved on my dvr. I got as far (about 2 minutes in) as the cow placenta and had to turn the channel. I'll work myself up to the rest later this week.
    I watched this last night with the Thai wife and she was totally grossed out. Eating the undigested grass of the cow was gross as was dipping the raw meat into that juice in the hip. Dung beetles, rats, etc. I always enjoy watching Andrew try things but this was the most disgusting stuff I've ever seen him eat. This episode made me feel sorry for him. Glad Anthony Bourdain has since moved on from eating disgusting morsels

I wish it's Thailand, but don't you too? ;)
    Thanks

Wonder if he did enjoy most of these culinary 'delights'... Seen him doing the African street food a few weeks back and for once, he simply told the camera that he JUST could not take another bite as the taste was simply too gamey even for someone like him. Think it was a 'sausage' filled with a mixture of intestines, hearts and lungs etc.

Which days of the week is the Isaan food trail showing on cable TV? Is it over already?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,528 Times in 464 Posts

Hi Khun Don.

I actualy brought back home the magazine from the Bangkok post with the artical about Issan cuisine. I liked the bit how it showed the sticky rice being made, simmered over a charcoal fire in a bamboo basket, sadly it did not say what type of rice or what the preparation was before it was put in the steamer or for how long.I like Issan food and realy hope i can learn how to make the sticky rice, it's my favourite.

Thanks,

Billy.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,930 Times in 1,180 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by billyboy View Post
    Hi Khun Don.

I actualy brought back home the magazine from the Bangkok post with the artical about Issan cuisine. I liked the bit how it showed the sticky rice being made, simmered over a charcoal fire in a bamboo basket, sadly it did not say what type of rice or what the preparation was before it was put in the steamer or for how long.I like Issan food and realy hope i can learn how to make the sticky rice, it's my favourite.

Thanks,

Billy.
    The type of rice you use is actually called 'sticky rice' or sometimes 'glutinous rice' (Oryza glutinosa is its Latin name.)

The Traditional Method Using a Steamer:
    Soak the sticky rice in enough water to cover the rice for at least an hour and even overnight. Take your steamer, put water in the bottom and cover the steam section with cheese cloth or muslin cloth. Pour the sticky rice on the cheesecloth, cover with the lid and put it on the stove on medium to high heat. The sticky rice should take about a 20 minutes of steaming to cook and will become translucent when done.

David
    My new travel blog: https://www.weekender.blog/

Thanks
    Thanked 5,318 Times in 3,446 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by billyboy View Post
    Hi Khun Don.

Thanks,

Billy.
    Can we assume you have "escaped" Bangkok, then, and are back in dear old blighty?

You should be able to get sticky rice from any Thai food shop-some Chinese food shops may also carry it

Thanks
    Thanked 1,528 Times in 464 Posts

Hi Khun Don,

Yes, i arrived back in the UK early this morning sadly. But i need to get back to work and plan and save for my next trip. I will start checking for return flights at the weekend, hopefully i will return in November.

Thank You,

Billy.

Thanks

I eat khao niaw here in LA. I have often taken my kong khao to work with me. Sticky rice and nam prig or som tam with bbq chicken or pork at work, and I'm talking Isaan som tam with bpla laa. Imagen that sitting in an LA high-rise in a white shrit and necktie eating Isaan style. Sep illi der!
    Life is learning. If you stop learning, you might as well be dead.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to visionchaser45 For This Useful Post:

yy (07-08-11)

Thread Information