PHP Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(433) : eval()'d code on line 110
News Update: Wounded Australian on handouts takes to red shirt stage
Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,318 Times in 3,446 Posts

Wounded Australian on handouts takes to red shirt stage

Wounded Australian on handouts takes to red shirt stage
    Published: 2/05/2010 at 01:59 AM
    Online news: Local News

Conor David Purcell, a former Australian military reservist, is a long way from home. The 29-year-old has two infected hip wounds, no money, no passport and survives on handouts from his Thai and foreign friends.

Name:  138553.jpg
Views: 253
Size:  16.2 KB

WHITE FACE IN A RED CROWD: UDD fixture Conor David Purcell. His speeches have fired up the red shirt supporters.

But when he takes to the red shirt stage at Ratchaprasong, thousands of people stop and listen attentively to the Irish-born Aussie ``military'' man as he reads his speeches, which are immediately translated into Thai.

To the red faithful, he knows what he's talking about, whether it's discrediting government accounts of the Sala Daeng grenade attacks or the "criminality" of the April 10 bloodshed near the Democracy Monument.

The red shirt leaders nod their approval at Mr Purcell, who claims to have done "quite extensive" work with the Australian Special Air Service Regiment (SASR) and trained with the Singapore and Malaysia military.

"I don't think I should fight,'' Mr Purcell said when asked about his role with the red shirts. "What I'm trying to do is keep the world informed, those speeches which are then put on the internet are keeping the world informed.''

More: http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/loca...ed-shirt-stage

Thanks

Re: Wounded Australian on handouts takes to red shirt stage

Hi

the reds are really starting to scrap the bottom of the barrel.

farangs should stay out of thai politics unless they are a contributing member of thai soceity even then should stay in the background.

He sounds more like a prasite just useing the situation for his own gain.

Thanks

The only place this guy would get recognition is in Thailand because of the turmoil there at the moment. Where anyone taking a side would get a pat on the back. He is trying to be a hero, I think he to be a fool, and he should keep out of it. There are many drop-kiks like he is in Australia and to make things worse, he was born in lreland. What a joke

Thanks
    Thanked 1,285 Times in 555 Posts

he wants his 15 minutes of fame....and now he has it....ha ha ha ha ha
    The best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago. The second best time is now.
    - Chinese Proverb

Blog Entries
    Thanks

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uHosYuf-HfA"]YouTube- Australian Witness In April 10 part 1/2[/ame]

Here is a youtube video of him on stage.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFUDNW60z8U"]YouTube- Australian Witness In April 10 part 2/2[/ame]

Thanks

if he has no passport and has been staying illegally, how come immigration have not taken the opportunity to round him up and send him to prison? I don't get it. people get shoved in jail even for a two-day overstay as far as I know.

Thanks

This is a load of crap. No money? no passport? That translates to no visa. He'll end up in the immigration jail, and deservedly so. That is if some fiery young Isaani soldier doesn't take the opportunity to put a bullet in him if things turn ugly again.

He is a fool, a loser, pure and simple.

Thanks

What a muppet. I got nothing to say apart from the supidity of some people astounds me.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,318 Times in 3,446 Posts

Obviously a scam.And a far from a foolproof one.
    The plan seems to be he gets free food etc from the Red Shirts until he antagonises the Thai government into deporting him for free.
    As other members point out, this can all go horribly wrong-with the addition that the Red Shirts might be so grateful as to want to "protect" him by taking him on tour around the country as a novelty to bump up attendance at other Red Shirt rallies for more months than he planned on!

Thread Information