PHP Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(433) : eval()'d code on line 110
Missing thailand badly!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

grouchy

Sawasdee Krab Tuk Tuk Tan!
    Tena Koutou katou!
    Hello Everybody!

Please help this depressed Thai youth living abroad in Auckland city, New Zealand, by giving him a good advice or two...

My name is Jo and I have been living in Auckland for around 10 years now. I am originally from Bangkok.... I am 20 years old.
    Well, I ended up in Auckland because my mother re-married a Farang/Kiwi. She brought me up here in hope of a better education and a better future.....unfortunately, things did not quite turn out the way that naive 10-year-old Thai boy think it would, when he hopped on a Thai Airway International plane 10 years ago.
    Since coming here, I have been having problem with my StepStupid....it was an endless series of physical/emotional/mental violence in the house, from him towards me, which resulted in a break-down in our home...I ran away from home when I was 17 years old. I do not keep in touch with my mom anymore.....even longer a story......so I don't have family whatsoever in New Zealand......
    (Sorry if this seem long....I felt like I have to tell u guys a little bit about my background...)

Recently, I have been thinking about returning to Bangkok. Well, I think about my family and my home every minute of the day...... I'm planning to go back to Thailand next year but I don't know if this is a good idea.....
    There are a few things that are holding me back in Auckland.....
    1)Most people would generally agree that a University degree from New Zealand is more recognisable than a University degree from Thailand...therefore, if I ever decided to travel abroad when I'm older, then moving to Thailand now would be a stupid thing to do.
    (I am on my 1st year of studying towards a BSc in Chemistry, However, I will go to a University in Bangkok once I get back to Thailand....) Thousands of Thai students wants to attend Universities abroad...I have the opportunity, but I wanted to study in Bangkok....otherwise, I feel like I'm missing out that student life in Thailand...
    2)My family in Thailand works very hard and struggle financially ,and I don't know if Thailand's goverment provide loan and allowances to their students.
    Essentially, comes down to money....I don't want to be dependent on my family for money....
    3)I have only ever went back to Thailand twice during my stay in Auckland. The last time I webt back- it was a reverse culture shock....but I did enjoyed myself...and I believed I can adapt back to that sort of lifestyle again...
    4) I honestly feel that my heart is in Thailand....I feel like there is nothing for me here...I feel very lonely.....but I'm scared about going back home...it's frustrating!
    5) I'm waiting till next year bcos right now, I'm only a PR(Permanent resident) of NZ....I will apply for my citizenship b4 moving to Thailand....so that my ass would be covered both way....
    6)Personally, I don't like NZ.....it doesn't feel like a home at all to me.... it's too quiet for my liking and there are a lot of prejudices between its people....
    7)My partner is from New Zealand. We have only been going out since December 2003, this is essentially the main reason as to why I am still in Auckland. D is is Sydney at the moment....won't get back till April....only know that I'm homesick...has no idea that I want to go back home....Am I wrong to hang around in Auckland for a realationship?!

There are so much more that I wanted to say....I'm sure it will probably come into mind once I posted this message. Please help me out guys.... Espescially all my Thai brothers/sisters who had grew up outside of Thailand but have gone back home to live.....

Thank You (Khob Khun Mark Mark Krab),
    JOSEPH

Thanks
    Khun Joseph, First thing that comes to mind is to stick out the education and get some counseling if they have that there..

Then again it sounds like you don't have a piece of mind about what you should do . My opinion is before you decide which path to follow,you must have a set goal and more important
    a clear definition of what you want. Choke dee khup <span style='font-size:13pt;line-height:100%'>⪤դѺ</span>

delawang Guest
    Hi Joseph&#33; Sorry things are not working out in NZ, but at least you have a place where you can go and be yourself. I know what you mean about the “reverse culture shock”. Everyone gets that, it is no big deal.

Thailand does not seem to have grants and student loans the way other countries do. You and your family pretty much have to pay for your college education. Also, I think your job prospects in Thailand would be better if you have a degree from a university outside of Thailand. The reason is that it will differentiate you from other job applicants. Picture yourself as a recruiter trying to fill a high paying position and looking at 200 resumes. You need to give 5 to the manager to interview. You can see how the one Thai with a degree from a university in NZ is going to make the short list. The more opportunities you have for a job interview the more likely you are to get a good job. That’s my rational for suggesting the degree from NZ.

On the other hand, four years is a heck of a long time and you have your own mental health to think about. You have been through a lot already and if you feel like you need to take some time off and recover no one can fault that.

You are in a similar situation as us foreign husbands with Thai families. We can not pass up the opportunity to work in the west. Most Thai men I know would risk their lives for an opportunity that I was given at birth. It is hard to balance where you want to be and where you can do the most good for your future and for your family. I hope you can make a decision and be at peace with it.

Ferret Guest
    I get the feeling that you are attending Auckland University, this is a fine establishment with a very good reputation and history. They have all the facilities of many universities and from memory councelling is one of them.
    I lived in Auckland for a number of years and love the lifestyle there. There are many things to do there and you can play any sport imaginable (even Australian Rules).
    When I first stayed in Auckland in the late 70&#39;s you are talking a country town, but I watched the place change over the years to become what it is now.
    Try and get out and about more, 4 years is&#39;nt a long time, get your degree and you have the world at your feet.
    good luck

Thanks
    Stick it out in New Zealand until you get your degree and citizenship, then come back to Thailand. Think about the future, not just short term. You are still young and Thailand will still be here after you graduate. I don&#39;t think you want to return to Thailand and struggle to survive like a lot of poor Thais do. Get the education. YOu will be glad that you did. Then when you come back home you will also be able to help relatives finacially if you wish. Best of luck. Take care.

Thanks

Oopsie...

Sawasdee Krab everyone&#33;

To the 4 people that replied- thank you so much for spending time reading my plea , and spending even more time to write and posted your advices.

I have been doing a lot of thinking and I have come to the conclusion that I do want to be in Thailand. I am planning to go back to Bangkok this July to attend a University over there. At the moment, my uncle is trying to find some information for me about studying in Bangkok.
    I am very excited and happy that I will be HOME and that I will be seeing all of my family soon. I have been fantasizing about living with my family in Thailand....I can&#39;t wait. I wish I can go back tomorrow&#33; I have been in touch with my family (I have a very BIG family in Thailand.) and they all can&#39;t wait to see me again&#33;
    I know that things are going to be hard for me, but I am prepared to adjust myself to living back home. I have been recalling a lot of great childhood memories of me growing up in Bangkok.

I know that most of u would encouraged me to stick it with the education here....but I just really need to be home....I&#39;ve found out that I have an indefinite returning resident&#39;s visa which means that I can always come back to NZ if things doesn&#39;t work out or if I wanted to come back here (NZ).....but if I don&#39;t go back to Thailand now.....I know that I will be miserable and will always wonder how my life would be if I have moved back to Thailand.
    Even now, I feel like I&#39;m already missing out so much....not being with my Aunties, my grandmother, all my little nephews....

Please wish me luck. My partner is the only thing that is keeping me here in NZ at the moment....I have to say that she&#39;s the best girl that I have ever known.....but the reality is -that we haven&#39;t spent that much time together and I really can&#39;t sacrifice my family over her.....however, I had e-mailed me her asking her to come to Thailand with me. I haven&#39;t heard back from her yet....

<sigh> I will keep u posted. But honestly, moving back home feel right to me...

Regards,
    JOSEPH

Thanks
    Hey&#33; All right Tiger. Sounds like you know which direction you want to go. <span style='font-size:13pt;line-height:100%'>⪤ҡ¹ФѺ</span> Lots of good luck to you man.

Thanks
    Hi, Tiger&#33; I wish I could convince you otherwise, that is, not to give up your chance to be educated in New Zealand. I know the torture to the soul of being away from your family and homeland, but you are young. You will eventually make it to Thailand. Education, however, is a complicated business. It will have a lot of weight in determining your future, unless you are already pretty sure of what you want to do in life. The quality in New Zealand I am sure is much higher than what might be offered to you in Thailand, especially if you have financial limits. Don&#39;t throw away that opportunity. Why don&#39;t you just go for holidays and to remake relationship with your family. Find ways to earn money for summer visits during your 4 years in University -in NZ. There are many exchange programmes I am sure you can sign up with that would finance you to go to Thailand somehow. Take time to explore all alternatives&#33; Anyway, good luck with whatever you decide.

Ferret Guest
    Well Tiger you have thought long and hard and your decsion is made, good luck. Dont burn your bridges and you could still get credits towards a degree in NZ if you change your mind anyway.

delawang Guest
    gotta disagree with you on all of these points.

Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (La_NuiT @ Mar. 21 2004,10:01)]Education, however, is a complicated business. It will have a lot of weight in determining your future,...
    Education does not need to be complicated. Just get the degree and get a job. In 10 years, your work experience will be much more important than your degree.

Quote[/b] (La_NuiT @ Mar. 21 2004,10:01)]... unless you are already pretty sure of what you want to do in life.
    People change careers a lot more than the used to. There is no need for a young person to make a lifetime commitment to a career.

Quote[/b] (La_NuiT @ Mar. 21 2004,10:01)]The quality in New Zealand I am sure is much higher than what might be offered to you in Thailand...
    I have worked with architects, engineers and software developers in Thailand and in the west. The only thing westerners have a leg up on is English, and Joseph already speaks it well. If he is bilingual enough to get a college education in Thai, he is not shortchanging himself at all

Thread Information