PHP Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(433) : eval()'d code on line 110
Dear Bangkokians, What Do You Do When BKK Is On Curfew?
    I wish it's Thailand, but don't you too? ;)
    Thanks

Dear Bangkokians, What Do You Do When BKK Is On Curfew?

Hi all,

Just wondering that for all those affected directly by the curfew, how do you spend the time during those evenings when one is compelled to be at home? This is not meant as a mockery or sarcasm, but simply to understand more about accomodations made to Thai lifestyle in these trying times.
    Sleep, little one, close your eyes, mother will sing you a lullaby... Sleep in a jewel cradle, sleep, mother will rock you.
    If you don't sleep the midges will go for your eyes and pollen will fall on the cradle....Sleep, close your eyes...
    - Isaan folksong, from "The Price of a Life" (Onkom, 1997)

Thanks

Re: Dear Bangkoknians, What Do You Do When BKK Is On Curfew?

come on - it is midnight to 4 a.m. now. can't be that bad. I bet 99% of Bangkokians are asleep at this time anyway, and many of the rest are up to no good. it's not like your are confined to your home from sunset to sunrise.

Thanks

Hmm, a few days, the curfew started 9pm or earlier. Usually, I still see lots of locals out on the streets eating supper or simply chilling out at karaokes with friends. N there's the expats too who may have missed their beer joints Even past 12am, I still see lots and lots of locals, especially teenagers, night shopping at the night market at the Memorial Bridge.
    Sleep, little one, close your eyes, mother will sing you a lullaby... Sleep in a jewel cradle, sleep, mother will rock you.
    If you don't sleep the midges will go for your eyes and pollen will fall on the cradle....Sleep, close your eyes...

Thanks

well I guess even the most hardcore party animal should be able to put up with curfew at 9pm for a couple of days if it is for our own safety. what was it, 3 days 9pm, 1 day 10pm, 1 day 11pm, and now midnight? come on.

I really hope all those who have been boasting about breaking the curfew here in Chiang Mai for days all over other forums will be rounded up and yelled at before being allowed home. it is ridiculous that some farangs cannot stay put for a few nights.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,018 Times in 1,175 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Betti View Post
    well I guess even the most hardcore party animal should be able to put up with curfew at 9pm for a couple of days if it is for our own safety. what was it, 3 days 9pm, 1 day 10pm, 1 day 11pm, and now midnight? come on.
    The problem is the prelude to the curfew.

When the curfew was at 9PM, many businesses were closing at 6PM, or earlier, to allow time to get home. I would imagine this is part of the reasoning behind the new hours.

I don't drink, but "last call", at 8~9PM, might disappoint those who do.

Thanks

Re: Dear Bangkokians, What Do You Do When BKK Is On Curfew?

It doesn't affect me much on the weekdays since I don't stay up late during working days but weekend means I'll have to stay home before curfew. Especially coming long weekend which I initially had plans to travel at night to Trat and then to Koh Chang. I will have to change the plan to travel early morning after the curfew instead.

I'm not sure why Pattaya can enjoy the special privillege though.
    Paknam Web Network:​ Thai Travel News and Online Guidebooks

Bangkok Daytrips: Weekend drives and daytrips around Bangkok
    Thailand Guidebook: A free online guide to all 76 provinces in Thailand
    Thailand Blogs: Daily articles and photos about Thai travel, culture, food, religion and much more.

Thanks

I had problem on Friday, the first day when the curfew was at 8 pm. As I had meeting with friend at place wheres so far from my house. So! we had to eat dinner at 5 pm. My problem is - Its quite difficult to catch taxi from that place to my home after 6 pm. as they all scared of curfew, also no buses. And it ended up by - I backed home by taxi with special charged 800 bath ( discounted 200 bath from 1000 bath), not including of highway tolls By the same route, in actually I should pay no more than 300 bath.

One experience I got from this situation is On the express way, I can see black burns smoken from many places over Bangkok with my real eyes.

For the later weekend, all of my family decided to go to travel at fishing boat home stay at Samuthsakorn province..so happy than stayed in Bangkok though.
    " Every morning dedicate positive things, and during the whole day make a wish that we will always be of benefits to sentient beings. We will be helpful to any being in different ways."

Thanks

I bet there will be a fair chance there will be a boom in babies being born 9 months from now.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Anatta View Post
    I had problem on Friday, the first day when the curfew was at 8 pm. As I had meeting with friend at place where’s so far from my house. So! we had to eat dinner at 5 pm. My problem is - It’s quite difficult to catch taxi from that place to my home after 6 pm. as they all scared of curfew, also no buses. And it ended up by - I backed home by taxi with special charged 800 bath ( discounted 200 bath from 1000 bath), not including of highway tolls …By the same route, in actually I should pay no more than 300 bath.
    THB1000 is like almost 4 times of what you will usually pay!!! Glad that the taxi driver has so nicely offered a discount. I guess sometimes difficult times is when the nice part (and sometimes not so nice part) of humanity is shown

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Betti View Post
    Hmm, I was actually thinking more along the line of how those individuals who were used to their late night supper, shopping and drinks etc managed to pass their evenings at home e.g. watching the news fervently or indulging in a long forgotten hobby etc? It was meant to ask how Thai people get their creative juices flowing when they were not busy catching the latest news update

Thread Information