PHP Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(433) : eval()'d code on line 110
dos and don'ts
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: dos and don'ts

Thanks

dos and don'ts

Hi all,

Since I started making some comments on some of the don'ts in Thailand. I am interested in to know if there are dos and don'ts in your countries? What would you suggest to the tourists who are travelling to your countries?

Thanks,
    ~Lime~

Thanks
    Thanked 1,930 Times in 1,180 Posts

Re: dos and don'ts

Don't call it England. It's Wales (or more correctly Cymru), England is next door...
    My new travel blog: https://www.weekender.blog/

Thanks
    Thanked 1,285 Times in 555 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Lime View Post
    Hi all,

Since I started making some comments on some of the don'ts in Thailand. I am interested in to know if there are dos and don'ts in your countries? What would you suggest to the tourists who are travelling to your countries?

Thanks,
    ~Lime~
    If you are visiting any country and realise being able to travel is a privilege rather than your right and treat all you meet with respect then you are pretty much right where ever you go.

Lime, you are a Thai living in Australia, what are your experiences in this subject, have you upset anyone, if so...why do you think that is?

Advice I would give to anyone about to visit Australia would simply be........enjoy.
    The best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago. The second best time is now.
    - Chinese Proverb

Thanks
    Thanked 2,018 Times in 1,175 Posts

When visiting anywhere, don't criticize by using the the always annoying "Back where I'm from..."

When I was working in a tourist destination, I always suggest that, if that's what they prefer, they should go back to where they came from!

Thanks

Thanks, all.

It is quite interesting that western countries don't seem to list their dos and don'ts like Thailand. In Thailand they seem to list everything I asked my work colleague who is an Australian to give me some example of the dos and don'ts but he couldn't really give me that. I also asked my husband the same question and he gave me the same response. So, basically, in my opinion dos and don'ts do't exist here and people do whatever they like, of course under the the law.

To answer Fileeep's question - no, I have not upset anyone yet because I choose not to and I don't want to upset anyone unnecessarily. I basically follow the rules and respect the country and its people and the culture - one thing that I don't follow, tho...is ' Melbourne Cup ' because I don't like dressing up

I am pretty much easy to please so I don't create any uneasy enviornment for people around me but I don't like the snobby people and I would just simply ignore them but I couldn't ignore the one in my " What the..?! " thread and that's why I created that thread

Cheers,
    ~Lime~

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by David_Loves_Ubonwan View Post
    Don't call it England. It's Wales (or more correctly Cymru), England is next door...
    And remember there is a quick escape across the border to England!!!

Sorry David I could not resist

Thanks
    Thanked 3,211 Times in 1,966 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Curt View Post
    When visiting anywhere, don't criticize by using the the always annoying "Back where I'm from..."

When I was working in a tourist destination, I always suggest that, if that's what they prefer, they should go back to where they came from!
    When I worked in the South Carolina coastal area, I would often hear about 'how we do things up north'. My response was a simple 'I'm sorry you're not happy here. When are you moving back?'

Thanks

Some Do's and Don'ts in Britain:

Do:

When waiting for a train use your elbows to force your way into the carriage without regard for passengers who might want to disembark first.

Do carry an umbrella with you at all times. If you don't it will definitely rain.

When something goes wrong: Blame the Germans.

Do spoon strawberry jam on your scones before you put clotted cream on top.

Do support anyone but England during the World Cup if you are from Scotland.

Don't:

When serving tea don't pour in milk first! First fill the cup with tea, then add milk to taste.

When waiting for the bus don't jump the queue.

When encountering German visitors: Don't mention the war!

Don't talk to anybody unless you have been formally introduced.

Don't call a British person English when they are from Scotland.

TomUK

Thanks
    Thanked 1,285 Times in 555 Posts

hey TomUK....have you ever thought about becoming a travel writer....great advice...
    The best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago. The second best time is now.
    - Chinese Proverb

Thanks

it all depends where someone is from. I would tell different dos and don'ts about my country to a visitor from Thailand, England (or Scotland!), or India.

most important, life-saving don't is, for everyone, don't presume cars will stop just because you are at a pedestrian crossing.
    ok, this won't take Thais by surprise, but a large number of western Europeans get mowed down when they suppose that vehicles will stop. they won't.

Thread Information