PHP Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(433) : eval()'d code on line 110
In the footsteps of "The Beach"
    Thanks

with love In the footsteps of "The Beach"

Hi students

I was very much involved in the discussions on your special "Footstep in the Sand" board on the filming of the movie The Beach way back - and as I'm now going on a wonderful beach holiday to Phuket and Phi Phi end this month - I would like to look up some of the shooting spots to go down "memory lane". Therefore, I should be very pleased if you could give me adresses and some driving instructions to the below places plus any other good pieces of info in my endeavour of following the shooting trails. My husband and I will be staying at the Cape Panwa Hotel on Phuket like the crew and cast and on The Pee Pee Village Beach Resort on Phi Phi Don. From the latter we know that we can rent a longtail boat and go to the famous Maya Bay, so that is well under control - but we would like also to visit:
    1) The little beach with the small cottages where Richard is caught in a thunderstorm and shares beers with some guys next door as he has lost the key to his own bungalow and from where they leave by speedboat next morning. What is the name of that little beach and where is it situated? (I believe somewhere on Phuket).
    2) The name of the town/area, where the old shoe factory is located - the shoe factory that was converted into the set for the living quarters for the beach community. I believe that was on Phuket somewhere too? Driving instructions?
    3) Is there a trail on Phi Phi Lee we can walk from Maya Bay to the other side of this island? I believe the crew was dropped on the other side and daily walked across the island to the beach? Can you help me on info, verification on that? Thanks.
    4) Finally, I've heard that driving on Phuket is pretty "wild" and as you drive in the left side of the road and we are acustomed to driving on the right side, some say it is not recommendable to foreigners to rent a car and drive around on your own. What do you think? We are used to rent cars and also to drive in the left side from time to time on our holidays. But I suppose that we cannot get to the places mentioned above using regular scheduled buses - or?
    I'd appreciate to hear from you and thank you in advance so much for your time.
    Warmest regards Purple

Thanks
    About the 4th point, no problem to drive on the left side. You will drive on an island, not in the Bangkok traffic. But i have notice curious thing. You can see road signs on the left road to remember you you have to drive on the left side. Completely useless if you have forgotten to drive on the left side. Because you will not see them. lol

Sorry not to answer you about others points because never gone in Phuket, only in Kho Samui. But i spoke with people in Kho Samui who said me there's few things to make in Kho phi phi; 2 or 3 days there are sufficent.
    \"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye.\"

Le petit prince
    Antoine de Saint Exupery

Thanks
    Hi Purple, yes we remember you well. Everyone says hello. The Beach days were such a long time ago!

We have a web site called "Paradise on the Beach" which talks about the different locations used:

http://www.srinaiweb.com/thebeachmovie/

To answer your questions:

(1) This was Hat Surin. Not sure if the bungalows are still there. I doubt it. This photo of Nattawud (Gor), Sakdipat (Game) and Suthee (Phong) was taken during the filming.

(2) The studio was in Ban Ma Yik, Thalang.

(3) Yes, there was and probably still is.

(4) Lots of foreigners rent cars and motorcycles every day. I wish I could say it is safe but apparently foreigners die every week on the roads!

Thanks

with love

Hello Sawatdee. So good to hear from you and your students again :-). And a special thank you for the very the warm greeting - I'm feeling very honored and happy to learn that I'm still remembered.

And thanks so much for the prompt reply and the requested info. Just what I was looking for. I do recall the picture of the 3 students in front on the cottages at Hat Surin - and yes, it seems like a very, very long time ago. I recall something about a very close encounter with the body guards when you and the students were visiting thi particular set... LOL. I had hoped the bungalows would still have been there, as especially this beach with those huts look so remote, genuine and really picturesque... Hopefully, I'll get a chance to look for myself.

And thank you for reminding me of the link to the website dealing especially with the various shooting locations. Frankly, I'd forgotten about that special site - but I've just been spending the last hour enjoying visiting it and recalling the shooting days. It seems that there is a lot of good information to be found here for the preparation of a great "in the footsteps of The Beach" tour. I'll be studying it closer the next couple of days.

Once again thank you so much for your prompt reply. The final countdown for my upcoming holiday has started - and I can hardly believe that in less than 2 weeks I'll be in Thailand visiting those wonderful places!

Finally. A great applaud to you and your students for yet another fine web-site monitored by the Sriwittayapaknam School! You and your students are doing a great job in promoting Thailand in an inovative and very personal way - and I wish you the best of luck with the continuation of this site.

Warmest regards Purple

Thread Information