PHP Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(433) : eval()'d code on line 110
Bun Bang Fai Rocket Festival near Roi Et
    Thanks

Bun Bang Fai Rocket Festival near Roi Et

I spoke to a Thai friend today who told me that there will be a rocket festival near Roi Et on 11 and 12 July 2010. I went to this festival in 2008 when it was held in June. I would like to go there again and tried to find some info on the internet, but I had no success. Unfortunately I can't remember the name of the town/village where it was held in 2008. The place was about one hours drive from Roi Et city. It is not the festival in Yasothon.

Does anybody here have any more info?

TomUK

Thanks
    Thanked 5,318 Times in 3,446 Posts

Re: Bun Bang Fai Rocket Festival near Roi Et

(45 Mins south of Roi Et)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,930 Times in 1,180 Posts

The Bun Bangfai Festival (Thai: ླպح) (aka 'The Rocket Festival'): The festival is organised annually around June. Every district will organise colourful parades of Bangfai rockets that reflect the folk culture and local traditions of Roi Et province, especially the parades from Phanom Phrai and Suwannaphum districts will be lavishly decorated.

The dates I have for this year are May 28th to June 6th: http://www.thaitradefair.com/TripSug...Festival-.html

Note the link to the Tourism Authority of Thailand web page they give doesn't work, and if you go to the TAT website they haven't yet updated their events brochure from 2009 yet...

David
    My new travel blog: https://www.weekender.blog/

Thanks

Watch out for falling rockets - what goes up must come down! The biggest bungfai rockets consist of a 10-foot-long, 6-inch steel pipe attached to a sixty-foot-long giant bamboo pole. If they don't explode on the "launching pad" (a handy tree) they go up several thousand feet, disappearing through the clouds. No-one seems to know or care where they land. Mai pen rai. Its what I love about Thailand! I think the bungfai festival occurrs in many distridcts and towns, not just at Roi Et.
    Ӽ

Thanks

Many Isaan villages hold their own bun bang fai festivals, and someone can probably point you towards one just about every day in season.

Gambling seems to be playing a much bigger role these days. It was always part of the fun but it's becoming the main purpose. My wife's village in Ubon has dropped a lot of the traditional elements, including the parade the day before, and turned it into little more than a day at the races. Over a period of a month or so, people get together and do the rounds of all the local, and even not so local, events. My BiL has put himself about 20,000 baht in debt this year.

Thanks

I phoned my friend again today. I actually got the dates wrong. The festival will be on 10 and 11 July 2010. The place is about 6km from his village and about 20km south of Roi Et (my guess). I think it is on the 215 road and the name is Baan Kuang Kwai, but I could be wrong here. The phone line was not so good today and I might have misheard the name.

When we went there two years ago they had a parade with beautifully decorated floats and people dressed in traditional costumes. There was also a fun fair with carousels and plenty of food stalls.

We bought a few small rockets and let them off in a field in our village. My friend's little five year old niece was with us and everytime we started a rocket she shouted "boom". Luckily we didn't have any real explosions.

Thank you for your contributions. It has brought back some fond memories.

Don, I hadn't even thought of looking on YouTube. My computer is still running on Windows 98 and I can no longer access anything on YouTube because my browser is too old. Everything I do online takes ages to complete or doesn't work at all anymore. Alas, a replacement is already on its way.

TomUK

Thanks
    Thanked 5,318 Times in 3,446 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TomUK View Post

Don, I hadn't even thought of looking on YouTube. My computer is still running on Windows 98 and I can no longer access anything on YouTube because my browser is too old. Everything I do online takes ages to complete or doesn't work at all anymore. Alas, a replacement is already on its way.

TomUK
    Pure luck I found it.
    Searched for "Bun Bang Fai Rocket Festival" in old posts-Yasothon only. Moved to Google-same search words-same thing-Yasothon. Then stuck "Roi Et" on the end of the search and up came the YouTube video.
    The video itself is mostly smoke-so you have not missed much!

Thanks

I got the place completely wrong. It was actually much closer to home than I thought. I have now posted a little report with a few photos in "Member's Trip Reports".

TomUK

Thread Information