PHP Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(433) : eval()'d code on line 110
Army conscription duty
    Thanks

Army conscription duty

Hello all,

First off this is my first time posting in this forum so im guessing this is the best place to post this question. I have a son who was born in Thailand to my wfie, who is a Thai person. He has been living in Thailand with his mother and, like all Thai males, had to draw lot for his army conscription this year. Knowing he had to perform his duty, he volunteered for the army so he would only have to do 6 months of training.

Now, he was failed by the medical doctor during the physical exam citing the reason "not fit enough for army this year, report back next year", and was placed in the "type 3 disability" group. He has some minor muscle control problems since birth on his hand which prevents him from moving his fingers freely.

They gave him a form and told him to report back to his district in bangkok on April 1st next year to re-draw the lot. So naturally I have a few questions:

- what is "type 3 disability" with regards to the Army conscription?
    - how many times can a person get called up if he was placed in "type 3" the prior year?
    - what are the procedures to get a physical exam to prove he had this disability since birth?

any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you all and take care.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,018 Times in 1,175 Posts

Re: Army conscription duty

Usually, it would be a matter of checking with the "right" person at the district office, to do the "proper procedure" to have him placed on the permanent list. With his past history, it will probably require only a small "fee".

Getting out of conscription is big business in many Bangkok districts.

Thanks

- If I remember correct a type 3 disability is per definition a disability which might go away until next conscription round.

- As long as he remains type 3 classed I believe he have to return every year until... 30 I *think*

- Unknown but from the army point of view it doesn't matter how long he had it. It's only a matter of being fit to do service or not.

Thanks

Lets put it this way, I'm no expert in this matter, but it seems to me the military are leaving there options open as he has not been totally rejected for military service, if in the unlikely event Thailand gets into a major war with one of it's neighbors and needed more soldiers they could call him up next year, if every thing stays calm he will be rejected every year.

Thanks

Thanks all for your helpful replies...

paying the small "fee" seems to me like a risky business. We don't really have any contacts in Thailand but I would guess the best place to start would be the district office....

if he remains in Type 3, will he be able to get a job in Thailand as he has not done military yet and the army keeps deferring it until next year, I'm worried he wont be able to get a job or move around freely as he will have to report back every year...

Thanks

Yes and no.

He can move around freely but it will certainly be a large obstacle getting a job, on the other hand the job market for Thais without a university degree is pretty limited anyway.

Thanks

Not every one who does not have a degree fails life, every one has options, and being self employed may be one of them.

Thread Information