PHP Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(433) : eval()'d code on line 110
Bueng Kan province
    Thanks

Bueng Kan province

Today the Cabinet approved a proposal by the Ministry of the Interior to create a new province in the Northeast. The eastern part of the long elongated Nong Khai province will be split off and form a new province, probably named Bueng Kan (ѧѴ֧). The draft law still needs to be approved by the parliament and the finally signed by HM the King to take effect.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,318 Times in 3,446 Posts

Re: Bueng Kan province

Cabinet nod for 77th province
    Published: 3/08/2010 at 04:44 PM
    Online news: Breakingnews

The cabinet on Tuesday approved the Interior Ministry's proposal to set up a new province, the 77th, by carving out an area from Nong Khai province in the Northeast, deputy government spokesman Marut Massayawanich said.

He said the new province, Bung Kan, will comprise seven districts, currently under Nong Khai. They are Bung Kan, Seka, So Phisai, Bung Khla, Bung Khong Long, Pak Khat, Phon Charoen and Si Wilai districts.

About 730 million baht will be required to set up the new province. Of this, about 500 million baht will be for construction of government offices and public utilities.

A draft bill on the establishment of Bung Kan province will be forwarded to the Council of State for examination before it is submitted to the House of Representatives for consideration.

BANGKOK POST

Thanks

From a very brief "Nation" report, population is likely to be 399,233.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Khun Don View Post
    From a very brief "Nation" report, population is likely to be 399,233.
    Using the numbers as of December 2009 from DOPA (which however are not online currently), the districts which will make up the new province have a population of 400,324. As of December 2008 it was 398,332.

Thanks

is there a reason or someone just felt like it? ok, it is a weird shape and I have no idea about the history etc but....
    I am a very practical person and my first thought was all the things that need to be changed - maps, documents, IDs, stationery, signs, more and more documents. surely there are other things the money could have been better spent on?

Thanks

There will be of course costs, most of all the yet-to-be-built province hall, the salary of all the officials in the new posts bifurcated from Nong Khai. The costs for documents and so on are relatively marginal - any letterheaded paper will simply be used with the old address, or have a small sticker glued on top. Traffic signs need to be replaced after some years anyway, addresses in databases should be easy to be changed automatically. Don't forget that until 1997 it had several new minor districts and minor district upgraded to full districts every year. It was only since 1997 that the administrative subdivision stayed rather constant, both to save government money after the financial crisis as well as due to the focus on decentralization to local administrations.

The main reason for creating this province was that the long elongated shape of Nong Khai with its capital far to the west made it rather uncomfortable to any of the citizen in the eastern part when they have to deal with anything in the province hall. Also the administration itself was difficult, any meetings in the province hall means a full day travel for those coming from the far east. There was a big support for the new province in all the local governments within the province, as well as in the general public.
    Last edited by ahoerstemeier; 05-08-10 at 03:11 AM. Reason: forgot to add the rationale for the province

Thanks
    Thanked 1,930 Times in 1,180 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ahoerstemeier View Post
    addresses in databases should be easy to be changed automatically.
    You would think. Here in Wales the counties (like a Thai province) changed back in 1996, fourteen years later whenever I have to put my address in to a website 90% of the time it won't allow me to put my county in and insists I live in the old county that has been defunct for nearly two decades.

David
    My new travel blog: https://www.weekender.blog/

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by David_Loves_Ubonwan View Post
    You would think. Here in Wales the counties (like a Thai province) changed back in 1996, fourteen years later whenever I have to put my address in to a website 90% of the time it won't allow me to put my county in and insists I live in the old county that has been defunct for nearly two decades.

David
    I wonder if that is true for East Yorkshire, re-named "Humberside" before reverting, after much public protest, to East Yorkshire.

Thread Information