Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Thanks

Notice!

I read the biography of this website's writer,he seems got married when he was 18 or something and have a baby rite now.Is it very ofter in Thailand?im really curious how old do Thai people get married?Is it cultural thing that they should get married when they were that young?

Thanks
    you talking about Gor, That's a good question that I can't answer. My thought is that in the pass it was expected of girls to married at very young age, mostly arrange, but now there are new expectation and people don't get married till they about Gor age and older.... Please correct me if I'm wrong...I want to know too

Thanks
    I married a Thai lady when we were both 25 years old. I don't think how old you is a cultural issue. It depends on the couple and the drowry. If the man has the money, the girls parents will bless the wedding.

Thanks
    So much for my rotten typing mistakes.

Thanks
    But...i thought both of them are only about 18 or 19yrs,dont they?And...they got a baby rite now!!wat about most of those Thai teenagers?they prefer get a wife or husband when they r that young?How can they feed themselves??well..i know this happened in a lof of countries,im just wondering wat is their parents attitude?cuz' my boyfriend is Thai and i really know nothing about his culture,thatz y i really wanna find out the answer^^

Thanks
    my people usually get marry pretty young. i have two friends who got married when they were 13 and 12! shocking!!! they both have 2 children now.

Thanks
    I just found out that my friend have gotten his g/f pregnant, so they are now engage to married. It was scary finding this out b/c he is only 18 and his g/f is 16. Oh, not only is this illegal in the US, but he is soo immature and young....in only a few months he will become a father and have to take responsibilities quickly

Thanks
    true. you have to mature and grow up if you're getting marry young.

Thanks

thumbs up

The age of consent for marriage is an interesting topic. About the youngest age for girls that I came across on the internet is 9 in Iran (before 2002); they've now raised it to 13.

In the United States the age for marriage varies all over the place, depending on which state the couple is in. Usually today the age at which a couple can marry without parental consent is 18; in Nebraska it's 19, and in Mississippi and Puerto Rico it's 21.

With parental consent it is not illegal to marry a girl under 18 in most states. In fact, in California (and I believe Georgia is still the same) there is no minimum age for either boys or girls in certain situations.

And, yes, marriage is definitely cultural. This is based on religions, histories, traditions, economic status, land ownership, male dominance, and perhaps a couple dozen other main reasons that don't come to mind at the moment. Studying indigenous people in many regions of the world--particularly those areas that are not yet Westernized--will reveal a myriad of marriage customs. I don't hear of it so much these days (maybe I'm not in with the right groups), but 10-15 years ago it was not very unusual for 12-, 13-, or 14-year-old Hmong girls (and very young boys, too) to be married--or at least considered married--right here in Minnesota. That's culture...unusual in the States, but customary in Laos.

Brad.

Abandon wrongdoing. It can be done.
    Cultivate doing good. It can be done.

Thanks

thumbs up

This topic was active a week ago. Any more thoughts?
    Abandon wrongdoing. It can be done.
    Cultivate doing good. It can be done.

Thread Information