PHP Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(433) : eval()'d code on line 110
Speak Thai and Speak Isaan Thai!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Speak Thai and Speak Isaan Thai!

hi all ive just noticed lots of new books with DVD's on learning Isann Thai, i understand to learn to read is the same as standard Thai so luckily no problems there! im just asking the question is it worth learning much Isann Thai!

I understand something like 70% or Isann speaking Thais work in the main Thai speaking Areas so this reason it could be worth learning,

but i could not see my self living in rural Thailand so keeping with my studies on leaning Standard Thai might be my best option,
    im just interested in hearing other peoples views on this, as i assume most Isann speaking Thais have to learn to speak and understand the so say standard Thai, no offence meant when saying standard or Isann thai as its just hard to make my point clear other wise, cheers

Thanks

Re: Speak Thai and Speak Isaan Thai!

Dear ian71 - as you know we don't use isaan dialect as an official language but it is good benefit to learn more of any dialect ka

Thanks

thanks for the reply, its just the new selection of books with dvds out looks so professional, it shows side by side the many differences in same for same words.
    It makes sense for farang who marry isann women to learn this as many a times i here things like sabai dee bok and did not really understand where my friends learned these until i realised the differnt dialect of isann girls.

luckily they do 2 books learn thai 1 and 2 with dvd 3 and 4hrs so i might have a look at these, as always good to be able to watch, listen and read literature at the same time, any thing to make it easier to learn,

Thanks

Dear ian71 - yes it is very useful for foreigners who want to get married to Isaan women as well as an advantage for anyone who wants to learn more of each dialect. There is also another dialect which northern people around Lampang - Chiangmai - Chiangrai are speaking. You may like how they speak it as well ka.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,588 Times in 1,854 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ian71 View Post
    hi all ive just noticed lots of new books with DVD's on
    but i could not see my self living in rural Thailand so keeping with my studies on leaning Standard Thai might be my best option,

im just interested in hearing other peoples views on this, as i assume most Isann speaking Thais have to learn to speak and understand the so say standard Thai, no offence meant when saying standard or Isann thai as its just hard to make my point clear other wise, cheers
    IMHO: Considering your situation and plans in life, I think it's more practical that you concentrate on learning Standard Thai first. That way you will be more focused. Studying Isaan Thai would just be an intervening learning that might stand in the way of mastering Standard Thai-which is your main interest, after all.
    Last edited by Marie; 15-09-10 at 08:29 PM.

Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or an idiot from any direction.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,930 Times in 1,180 Posts

There are people in Isaan who speak neither Standard Thai nor Isaan Thai.

David
    My new travel blog: https://www.weekender.blog/

Thanks
    Thanked 1,442 Times in 638 Posts

It can be useful to augment your Thai capabilities with a few common phrases in Isaan dialect. I have had great fun with it and found it to be a wonderful icebreaker, as it is quite uncommon for a farang (even one that speaks reasonable Thai) to use it.

Easy to make friends in Bangkok with taxi drivers and restaurant staff for example. Even whilst in UK, if you discover that your waitress in the local restaurant is from Udon Thani. you are guaranteed to surprise her if you thank her and tell her the food was delicious in Pasa Isaan

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ian71 View Post
    thanks for the reply, its just the new selection of books with dvds out looks so professional, it shows side by side the many differences in same for same words.
    It makes sense for farang who marry isann women to learn this as many a times i here things like sabai dee bok and did not really understand where my friends learned these until i realised the differnt dialect of isann girls.

luckily they do 2 books learn thai 1 and 2 with dvd 3 and 4hrs so i might have a look at these, as always good to be able to watch, listen and read literature at the same time, any thing to make it easier to learn,
    I have all 4 books and dvd's and have done exactly as you suggest! Put them side by side to see the main differences in the the two languages. Must say that the Volume 1 Speak Isaan Thai book is great. It really opened up the language to me in avery simple easy to learn way. Like you, I knew a reasonable degree of Thai but I actually live in in small Isaan Village and I was really struggling to understand what was being spoken around me and to me. The Volume 1 in particular has really helped on that as it covers off all the essential grammar and has plenty of really useful everyday weords and phrases. The dvd's were very good too as you get to learn the correct pronunciation of the words and phrases included in the book. All in all a very good package that made learning pretty interesting.

I think you have answered yourself the question on whether to get the Speak Thai and Speak Isaan Thai books yourself. You're obviously very interested in the language and culture, and although you don't intend to live in Isaan, it sounds like you have and do meet Isaan people in Thailand. From experience, I know that when you put more than one Isaan person together they start to speak Isaan. So if you want to have some idea of what they're chatting about, a degree of awareness of the Isaan language won't go amiss. And as another poster has said, a little bit of Isaan Thai language knowledge goes a long way in raising peoples appreciation of you and your langauge speaking skills.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by guava View Post
    It can be useful to augment your Thai capabilities with a few common phrases in Isaan dialect. I have had great fun with it and found it to be a wonderful icebreaker, as it is quite uncommon for a farang (even one that speaks reasonable Thai) to use it.

Easy to make friends in Bangkok with taxi drivers and restaurant staff for example. Even whilst in UK, if you discover that your waitress in the local restaurant is from Udon Thani. you are guaranteed to surprise her if you thank her and tell her the food was delicious in Pasa Isaan
    Exactly my experience both here in Bangkok and when I'm in Oz too Guava.

Thanks

We're in the States where I study Thai while my wife yaps away in pasa Isaan in the phone. So I study both which I find rather confusing but fun. Funny because when I speak Isaan my wife doesn't notice, she just answers in Isaan and I get no "dai geng" as in the rare moments when I complete a Thai sentence satisfactorily. Sook dee duh!

Thread Information