PHP Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(433) : eval()'d code on line 110
Westerner follows in Buddha's footsteps
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,318 Times in 3,446 Posts

US anthropology student joins monks on their morning alms round to learn about religion first-hand

Published: 27/09/2010 at 12:00 AM
    Newspaper section: News

Residents of Phraeng Nara community in the old Rattanakosin area are used to seeing temple boys carrying food for monks during their morning alms round. But a couple of weeks ago, they were taken by surprise when a young American man started doing the job.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	185903.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	98.0 KB 
ID:	9386

Charles Adams, a 24-year-old student at North Carolina State University, accompanies monks as they make their morning alms round at Phraeng Nara community in the old Rattanakosin area. PHOTOS BY APICHART JINAKUL

The Westerner helps carry the food given to the monks, walks calmly after them and performs a wai when the monks bless the alms offerers.

"During the first few days, the residents looked very surprised to see me. They asked me lots of questions _ what's my name, what am I doing here and where I come from," said Charles Adams, a 24-year-old student at North Carolina State University.

His majors are culture, anthropology and religious studies, and he felt he needed real experience to better understand these subjects.

Mr Adams also has strong determination to learn about Buddhism from masters outside of the classroom. So he applied and was chosen for the five-month student-exchange project under the Thai studies programme at Thammasat University's Pridi Banomyong International College.

More: http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/loca...ddha-footsteps

Thanks

Re: Westerner follows in Buddha's footsteps

Great thought, Adams

I had done quite a few times when I visited my family. This monk had cancer and had no one to help him carry extra bags of curry etc... Before I did that though, I asked my mum if it was okay for me to do it and mum allowed. The reason I asked was because I am a female. Sadly, I had to stop because dogs chased me when we passd them and my time in Thailand ended :(

Just wanted to share
    Cheers,
    Lime
    Last edited by Lime; 28-09-10 at 06:00 AM. Reason: Additional words - is this ' Reason for Editing ' section new?

Thread Information