PHP Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(433) : eval()'d code on line 110
"monk" for a day, or two...?
    Thanks

"monk" for a day, or two...?

I'm from USA and have been to Thailand many times for vacation, visit my fiance. I have heard that at some Wats, a farang can live and learn with monks for a day, or two. Is this true? How would I find out where I can do this? - in Bangkok or Chiang Mai. I am not Buddhist but have a layperson interest, and know some basics of Buddhism. Please advise.

Thanks

Re: "monk" for a day, or two...?

Quote Originally Posted by arebisch View Post
    I'm from USA and have been to Thailand many times for vacation, visit my fiance. I have heard that at some Wats, a farang can live and learn with monks for a day, or two. Is this true? How would I find out where I can do this? - in Bangkok or Chiang Mai. I am not Buddhist but have a layperson interest, and know some basics of Buddhism. Please advise.
    Everybody is welcome to stay at a wat for three days. Most Wats will be more than happy to have you stay. If your fiance is Thai and Buddhist, her family probably has a Wat they visit frequently.

You get to sleep on a hard floor and you probably get woken very early but, apart from that, it's mostly fun. The abbot will decide what tasks you need to do. You will probably accompany a monk on morning alms round. You might also get to help out with things like banking, cleaning etc.

Most Wats have morning and evening chanting and meditation, which you would join in. You might also be taught meditation and chanting at other times of the day.
    You can read blogs about Thailand at - www.Thai-Blogs.com

Thanks

My former Thai girlfriends uncle is a monk and I helped him for 2 mornings going around to some factories in Samrong Samut Prakan collecting donated food for the monks at the Wat.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by billk View Post
    Everybody is welcome to stay at a wat for three days. Most Wats will be more than happy to have you stay. If your fiance is Thai and Buddhist, her family probably has a Wat they visit frequently.

You get to sleep on a hard floor and you probably get woken very early but, apart from that, it's mostly fun. The abbot will decide what tasks you need to do. You will probably accompany a monk on morning alms round. You might also get to help out with things like banking, cleaning etc.

Most Wats have morning and evening chanting and meditation, which you would join in. You might also be taught meditation and chanting at other times of the day.
    Hi all,

I found that going to the temple is quite relaxing and everybody is so friendly and helful. I visited the temple near home every chance I had while I was in Thailand. And I love chanting with the people there; it's beautiful - cannot describe the feeling. I stayed in the temple for two days for my mother but couldn't continue because I could not fight my hunger and the fear of the ghosts - bbrrrrrrr... So, I quit

But remember you are not allowed to eat before the monks. You would love it there,tho

Oh...I also helped wash the dishes

Lime
    Last edited by Lime; 12-10-10 at 06:00 AM. Reason: spelling

Thread Information