PHP Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(433) : eval()'d code on line 110
Buddha Statue

Thread: Buddha Statue

Thanks

Buddha Statue

Hi,

I am not trying to make anyone feel offended but my mind kept wondered and I would love to hear what foreigners think about the Buddha Statue when they buy or plan to buy.

I have seen a lot of Buddha Statues sold in therapy shops, garden shops or something similar. I even see the statues be placed on the floor at the door/entrance of people's houses which surprise me a lot but didn't feel offended as I try to look at different way say...maybe because they don't worship Buddha that's why they see the statue as a form of decoration. It surprises me because I thought they would know that the statue is related to religion especially those who travel around Asia or simply know about the statue still place it somewhere low.

So, do you feel anything when you see the Buddha statue?

Any input is much appreciated

Cheers,
    Lime

Thanks
    Thanked 3,211 Times in 1,966 Posts

Re: Buddha Statue

I see a lot of Buddha statues sold in home decor stores. I also wonder about the people who buy these statues, and what their thought is in purchasing one. I don't deny that some people buy one purely for decorative purposes, but I like to think that there is something within them which is imparting on a spiritual journey and maybe this is the beginning.

Personally, I look for ones which have the 'Handcrafted in Thailand' sticker. These I believe to be at least a close replica of an actual statue in existence. For me, to own a buddha statue is a reminder of the teachings of buddha and the culture of Thailand as well as memories I hold dear.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,018 Times in 1,175 Posts

I often wonder about all the Buddha statues on dashboards of cars. I often wonder about all the dots on cars' headliners. I often wonder about "buddhist" amulets, hanging around peoples' necks. I often wonder about Buddha worship in general.

That said, if a Buddha statue, in the garden, helps bring a peaceful air to the setting, I think Buddha would be content.

It seems to me that Buddha spent his life getting away from such things. In all my readings, I have never heard Buddha suggest worship, merit or magic. He spoke of practice, charity and having good come from good.

It's all stuff. Buddha would tell you that it has no significance. It's just stuff. Stuff is what gets us in trouble. Case in point....

Forget about stuff. It doesn't matter. It has no feeling. It's only you that feels. Let it go.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,285 Times in 555 Posts

I am guilty of purchasing some images of Buddha, I have a little statue on my book shelf that is a Sunday Buddha, the day of the week I was born and a big stone Buddha on the balcony.

I was raised as a Catholic, went to a Catholic school and was even an altar boy in the church.

For me, the beautiful calm smile of the buddha represents peace, forgiveness, love and hope for the future, I actually feel this when I see an image……something I feel (again…only to me) is greatly lacking from the organisation that represents my imaginary friend nailed to a cross.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	140.1 KB 
ID:	9644
    The best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago. The second best time is now. ”
    - Chinese Proverb

Thanks

Thanks for sharing your thoughts guys - each point taken

It is nice to know that people appreciate him and his teachings, even though the way we show our appreciation is different.

fileeep, purchasing Buddha is not guilt ; people do this in Thailand, too.

Thanks again, guys.

Cheers,
    Lime

Thread Information