PHP Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(433) : eval()'d code on line 110
Weakening the rural vote
    Thanks

question Weakening the rural vote

I tried to do a search here and on Google but I just can't seem to come up with the correct phrase to turn up results.

Can anyone point me to a resource or article mentioning the proposal earlier this year or late last year about making votes of the "ignorant" rural Thai person count less than the votes of the Bangkok elite?

I remember the argument was that the rural people are not educated enough to know how to use their vote.

Did this really happen? The proposal I mean) or am I losing it and imagining things?
    Follow me on Twitter. I mostly tweet about hotels and resorts in Thailand. |
    Check out my Thailand Tumblr Photo blog

Thanks
    Thanked 5,318 Times in 3,446 Posts

Re: Weakening the rural vote

I do remember PAD suggested that the rural poor should not have votes as they were not intelligent enough to understand the political issues and voted for the candidate that promised/paid them the most-if this is of any help.

Thanks

are there any countries out there that make the vote dependent on education level, literacy, or income?
    what's the English word for such a system? in my language we use the Latin "census" but I know it means something else in English, and my googling skills are simply declining.

Thanks

Jerome-try googling "New Politics"-you might be lucky!

Thanks

Khun Don, I though you were joking but I gave it a try anyway, with some variations and came across the Wikipedia entry for PAD, which sure enough has it listed.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/People%...ical_Proposals

Thank you.
    Follow me on Twitter. I mostly tweet about hotels and resorts in Thailand. |
    Check out my Thailand Tumblr Photo blog

Thanks

I would not joke! I know how incredibly frustrating it can be to find stuff on "Google" because one does not use , or can not find, the right terms!

Thanks

I think it was Sondhi that threw the idea out in one of his speeches, and although much was made of it, it wasn't actually something Yellows were being asked to support. We had quite a lot of active Yellows (and Reds) in our office and none of them were behind any of that kind of nonsense. Mostly they were there to demonstrate against Thaksin, and quite a lot of them didn't like Sondhi at all.

The PAD provided an outlet for them at the time but, as we've already seen, if the PAD go into politics for real they won't get anywhere, even in Bangkok.

Thread Information