Thread: Thai Festival ?

Thanks

Thai Festival ?

I have a friend that lives in Huai Thalaeng about 50 kilometers from Korat. She called me to say there was some kind of festival Oct. 30 2010 and every one was preparing to go to Temple. She could not explain what this event was in English. And my Thai is limited. Would some happen know of this event and what it is called. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Re: Festival ?

I'm not sure but I would have a guess on Loy Kratong. Here in Sweden where I am at there are some thai societies and I think one of them is celebrating Loy Kratong this weekend.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,351 Times in 848 Posts

Loy Krathong is not until November 21st this year.

David

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Most likely it is Tod Kratin which is an event organized by temples all over Thailand at this time of the year.

www.ThaiFestivalBlogs.com

Tod Kratin is a Buddhist rituals connected to “Ok Phansa” or the end of the Buddhist lent and falls on the full moon in the eleventh lunar month, or in October. Ok Phansa is a day of merit-making. After Ok Phansa, lasts for 30 days or before the full moon of the twelfth lunar month in November, Buddhists will join a merit-making ceremony and gather at the temple to offer robes and necessary items for temple life to the monks on the appointed day. The ritual normally holds for a whole day. After merit-making and offering food to the monks in the morning, the Buddhists will listen to the monks’ preaching and do meditation. In the evening, the monks will lead a candle lit and march 3 complete rounds of the main temple building together with the Buddhists.
    http://www.thaiembassy.jp/rte2/index...ties&Itemid=91

Thanks

Re: Thai Festival ?

Thank you for the information, it has be extremely helpful.

Thanks

Re: Thai Festival ?

It's not necessary by the temples. Even you can do it yourself. Temples are usually where people gather for some specific religious ceremony needed for Kratin after parading from the houses of the persons hosting the kratin. The hosts always donate some money to the temples though.
    Don't just love him, but show him

Thread Information