PHP Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(433) : eval()'d code on line 110
Do people in thailand like half thais?
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast
    Prapan Guest

question Do people in thailand like half thais?

Dear (Everybody?),
    Hello, I'm new and a bit lost, so bear with me. I want to hear your opinions(especially from the people living in Thailand) about half Thais and American Thais. Three of my friends and myself are American Thais, Half Thais, or Hmongs. I would like to find out if true Thais would consider them 'farangs'? Also, is there a way to re-establish somebody as a full Thai again?
    Thank You
    Prapan

Thanks
    If you are not 100% Thai then you are a farang. Even if you were born here and speak Thai fluently. That is the way it is.

However, if you are half Thai, you look Thai, act Thai, speak Thai fluently, then you maybe be able to fool some people.

There are quite a few successful half-Thai in entertainment. It is quite fashionable at the moment. I think the tv people like it because they can speak both Thai and farang.
    Support the forum and chat rooms and buy computer software and books for learning Thai at www.BuyThaiBooks.com

Prapan Guest

sad

What if somebody is 100% Thai and looks Thai, but does not speak Thai?

Thanks
    I want to understand the 'farang' concept in Thailand please. I live in South India, and here a farang is basically someone from the west. Of course, if asked specifically any non-Indian is farang, but in general use a farang means someone from west. Is that so in Thailand too? Now, if someone was a half-Indian with a mix with an Asian it would be difficult to call him or her farang. But for some reason if the person is a mix with a Westerner than he is most likely to be called a 'farang'. How is that in Thailand please?

Again, if you know someone long-enough, you loose the sense of the person being farang even if he is absolutely farang - unless reminded. So, I mean, the final good reality is - the relationships that really matter are the ones we make with people - one by one. Guess that should apply most times?
    Never hit someone below the belt; for you are not the creator.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]What if somebody is 100% Thai and looks Thai, but does not speak Thai?
    Good question. I have been in a situation when a Thai teenager that had been brought up abroad came to visit some relations in Thailand. Yes, he is considered Thai, but I remeber some of the Thai elders commenting that he acted like a "farang".

Quote[/b] ]I want to understand the 'farang' concept in Thailand please.
    Basically, the word "farang" is given to anyone with European ancestors. It doesn't mean foreigner. People from Africa and other Asian countries are given a different set of names. It is not meant as a racist attribute though some people do object to being labelled "farang".

Thanks
    Quote[/b] ]speak both Thai and farang
    Where can I learn to speak farang?!

Support our friends at PAKNAM and save money, buy your books and click on: http://www.buythaibooks.com

Quote[/b] (Nattawud @ April 23 2003,14:46)]If you are not 100% Thai then you are a farang. Even if you were born here and speak Thai fluently. That is the way it is.

However, if you are half Thai, you look Thai, act Thai, speak Thai fluently, then you maybe be able to fool some people.

There are quite a few successful half-Thai in entertainment. It is quite fashionable at the moment. I think the tv people like it because they can speak both Thai and farang.
    i am half thai, half american - and i find that the people in the village of my family unfortunately feel that the lighter your skin, the "better"..although i find this disturbing to say the least, it seems that i am treated like some type of celebrity when i am in Thailand - they think i am a movie/tv/singer or some "superstar"..its sad because to me, my family and ALL people of Thailand are eXTREMELY BEAUTIFUL!!much more than myself!

Thanks
    I find good and bad things about being farang in Thailand, and even at home, since my mother-in-law is 100% Thai living in America. I notice that my rudeness is often excused because I am farang, and am not expected to know all of the manners that should be observed. My sister-in-law, who is Korean, does not get any allowances for her "malayat mai dee". My mother in law expects she should know how to behave, since she is also Asian. So in that respect, I am unfairly favored, I feel.
    I am not half-Thai. I am American. My husband is half-Thai. Our children got lots of attention in Thailand, and especially the baby, whose skin is the lightest. Wherever we go, there will always be differences among people, and people will always notice these differences. The amazing thing about Thailand is just the grace and tolerance of the people there. Of course foreign tourists can be rude and annoying. But all the people we met were so wonderfully patient with us, and all wanting to help us practice our Thai language skills. We are trying even harder now so that we can speak Thai even more when we go back. After 2 trips to visit Thailand, we are still just beginners.

Thanks
    Quote[/b] (Nattawud @ April 23 2003,14:46)]I think the tv people like it because they can speak both Thai and farang.
    Yeah, I like the way you said that also!

Thanks

happy

Hehehe I'm half-Thai. I'm mixed with I think 4 ethnics. Hmm... yeah my mom wants me to join some Entertainment stuff over there because I can speak Thai, but not quite fluent and VERY FLUENT in English. LOL Hmm...so I'm a "Farang" ? LOL Cool beans!! *sighs* Hmm.... I don't know if I'm considered a "Farang" because the 4 ethnics are how can I say "Asian related" except one.

Thread Information