PHP Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(433) : eval()'d code on line 110
Unusual Buddha Images: What is it?
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Unusual Buddha Images: What is it?

I often visit temples and whenever I see something unusual I try to take a picture. I already have quite a few pictures of Buddha images which I have documented here:

Gestures of the Buddha 01
    Gestures of the Buddha 02
    Gestures of the Buddha 03

I have also visited a Buddha image which had six toes and another where you can go inside to see the heart. Today I came across two more unusual Buddha images.

Name:  IMG_3798.jpg
Views: 296
Size:  102.5 KB

This is a Buddha image where he is touching his head to give eight strands of hair to two merchants who asked for a relic.

Name:  IMG_3800.jpg
Views: 221
Size:  102.3 KB

However, this second one I have never seen before. Does anyone know what it represents?

Thanks

Re: Unusual Buddha Images: What is it?

I have a photo of an unusual Buddha, which I took in September with intent to ask but forgot. The Thai family I was with all said they had never seen anything like this before elsewhere. It is a large temple in the middle of nowhere near Mae Taeng. There is a row of some 30 or so Buddhas, all different, many interesting hand gestures.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	buddha looking back.jpg 
Views:	137 
Size:	167.2 KB 
ID:	13072

Blog Entries
    Thanks

The Buddha image looking over his left shoulder is certainly interesting and one you don't see often. Actually I don't think I have ever seen it. It is an image of the Buddha bidding farewell to the city of Vesali as he knew he would never come back. It was shortly before he died.

I wish it's Thailand, but don't you too? ;)
    Thanks

The Buddha on the left of the image looking back at Vesali in Betti's photo seems to be either the symbolism of the Buddha persuading relatives not to quarrel or stop fighting, or of Buddha preaching reason. But it looks more like the former (the quality of the book is not very good, as seemingly of most books printed in Laos). I got them from a book obtained from Ho Phra Keo Museum, Vientiane; the book has a whole list of the Buddha in various hand gestures and postures. But it does not have the one shown in Richard's first photo here. Too bad my scanner broke down or I can post both pictures here which also come with Laotian words, so that forumers can better decide which one represents Betti's.
    Sleep, little one, close your eyes, mother will sing you a lullaby... Sleep in a jewel cradle, sleep, mother will rock you.
    If you don't sleep the midges will go for your eyes and pollen will fall on the cradle....Sleep, close your eyes...
    - Isaan folksong, from "The Price of a Life" (Onkom, 1997)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,318 Times in 3,446 Posts

Where in Cambodia is "Jackson Ville"?

I wish it's Thailand, but don't you too? ;)
    Thanks

Scanner still not working. Images from the book taken via my phone camera (digital camera broke down too - seems everything is breaking down). Hope the Laotian words give a clearer picture which one is Betti's...
    Sleep, little one, close your eyes, mother will sing you a lullaby... Sleep in a jewel cradle, sleep, mother will rock you.
    If you don't sleep the midges will go for your eyes and pollen will fall on the cradle....Sleep, close your eyes...
    - Isaan folksong, from "The Price of a Life" (Onkom, 1997)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Barrow View Post
    However, this second one I have never seen before. Does anyone know what it represents?
    Only a guess, His right hand is indicating to the adults to stop where they are, the left hand is indicating to the children to come from the side and sit in front. The reason for this is so the taller adults can sit at the back and the shorter children can listen and view Buddha with out there view being blocked by the adults.

Thread Information