Thanks
    Thanked 5,122 Times in 3,299 Posts

His Majesty to preside over inauguration of two bridges, water gates at Samut Prakan

His Majesty to preside over inauguration of two bridges, water gates

HM the King Bhumibol Adulyadej will preside over the inauguration ceremony of two important bridges and the water gates of a shortcut canal, which plays a crucial role in preventing many parts of Bangkok and Samut Prakan from flooding, Wednesday evening.

The useful constructions come from the much-revered king's initiatives.
    Located in Samut Prakan, the two bridges are thus named Bhumibol I and Bhumibol II. Nearby are the water gates of the Pho shortcut canal.

His Majesty, to be accompanied by HRH Princess Maha Chakri Sirindhorn, will leave the Siriraj Hospital via its pier at around 4.30pm Wednesday.
    The royal boat "Angsana" will sail along the Chao Phya River and then along the Pho shortcut canal until it reaches its destination in Samut Prakan.
    The king and the princess are scheduled to arrive at the inauguration venue around 5.50pm.

THE NATION

Thanks

Re: His Majesty to preside over inauguration of two bridges, water gates at Samut Pra

Rare opportunity for those in the area to see His Majesty.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Re: His Majesty to preside over inauguration of two bridges, water gates at Samut Pra

Shame I won't be around. I am in Pattaya tomorrow.

Thanks

Additional report from The Nation:

.............Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva and many senior government officials will be there to welcome His Majesty.

During the inauguration ceremony, video presentations about the water gates and the bridges will be displayed. A lightandsound show relying on pyro techniques will follow.

The ceremony is scheduled to end at 6.47pm, after which His Majesty and Her Royal Highness will return to Siriraj Hospital by boat.

His Majesty recommended the improvement of the Pho shortcut canal and the construction of related structures in 1995, with the aim of tackling annual flooding problems in Bangkok and its adjacent provinces.

Located at a bend of the Chao Phya River in Samut Prakan, the Pho shortcut canal stretches more than 600 metres, linking the bend in the river with another spot further down its meandering course. Without the canal, water in the river must travel about 18 kilometres between the two spots.

Initially, the Pho canal was just 10 to 15 metres wide. However, in response to His Majesty's initiative, its width has been increased to between 65 and 66 metres.

"Water can now flow from the first spot in the river to the second spot in just 10 minutes instead of taking five hours," said Royal Irrigation Department director general Chalit Damrongsak.

The water gates at the Pho shortcut canal give it greater efficiency in lowering water levels in the lower Chao Phya basin. During high tides, the water gates are closed, preventing water flowing northwards away from the sea.

In response to His Majesty's suggestions, the Royal Irrigation Department has also worked with Kasetsart University to develop axialflow and crossflow hydroturbine generators on the Pho shortcut canal. They are now able to generate 5.74 kilowatts of electricity per day.

Meanwhile, the Bhumibol I and Bhumibol II bridges across the Chao Phya River give much greater convenience to commuters, motorists and transportservice providers.

Thanks

It's good to see recent photo's of the King, I wish I could have been there to seem him.

Thread Information