PHP Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(433) : eval()'d code on line 110
security deposit on car hire.
    Thanks

security deposit on car hire.

I found a web site to reserve a car with gps at kkc airport, between 65 and 80 us dollars a day! I can live with that but on further research on the site ifound that there would be a 5000 security hold on credit card until car is returned. the site does not specify dollars or baht. i am assuming dollars. Anyone who has experience renting in Thailand your help would be greatly appreciated. I am going mid feb.

Thanks

Re: security deposit on car hire.

It would pay to clarify the currency of the deposit.... $5000 seems steep as you can buy an older but reasonable car for that kind of money. I would hope it is actually Baht. I have rented cars several times in Thailand and have left as security both cash and credit card swipes. On returning the car I have personally torn up the credit card swipes or received back my cash - never had a problem. I would suggest that on taking delivery of the car you check it carefully and ensure that any damage, dents, scratches, tears in upholstery etc are noted on the agreement. I have heard that some rental Co's have tried to hold all or part of deposits for damage that was already on the car.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to kfchugo For This Useful Post:

kjpugh (06-02-11)

Thanks

I don't trust any of them. Last time I travelled to Indonesia, the car rental companies wanted $2,000 as security, I discovered you did not need to hire a car, I just hired a driver with a car for a 12 hour day, I'm not talking about a limousine, they just used ordinary cars like in my case a large SUV, but you could have had just a corolla. It only cost me an extra $15 a day over having to hire an equivalent car with out a driver for 24 hours, since I was not driving the car, any accident or damage was the responsibility of the driver not me, I did not have to worry about corrupt police looking for bribes from speeding drivers, no parking problems, I would just tell my driver to wait for an hour while I do the shopping or see an attraction and he would then pick me up and take me to the next destination, The driver had local knowledge and could take me anywhere I wanted to go without getting lost. I don't no if they do this in Thailand though, but I would never hire a car in Indonesia again after being chauffeured.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to paul_au For This Useful Post:

kjpugh (06-02-11)

Thanks

I've car several times while visiting Thailand and usually have to put down deposit in baht on credit card. After car is returned they'll give you the credit card slip back and you'll just tear it up. $65 - $80 per day seems a little steep. Make sure you rent from a reputable site and like the others said - check the car with the representative pre & post rental for every little scratch, dents, etc. make sure he marks them on the record.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to dbm For This Useful Post:

kjpugh (06-02-11)

Thanks

I find in Chiang Mai it is just as cheap to hire a car and a driver and have no hassle.

Keith

9. The Following User Says Thank You to clwydaerials1234 For This Useful Post:

kjpugh (06-02-11)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,318 Times in 3,446 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by clwydaerials1234 View Post
    I find in Chiang Mai it is just as cheap to hire a car and a driver and have no hassle.

Keith
    Do they speak any English? Do you use the same driver/agency every time you visit?
    I have hired once in CM-but the driver spoke no English at all-which was a bit of a problem

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Khun Don For This Useful Post:

kjpugh (06-02-11)

Thanks

I use the same driver and he speaks very good English he sits outside the Empress Hotel, but there is also plenty of drivers with cars in the day by where the night market is, by McDonald's make sure you negotiate with them before you book.

Keith

13. The Following User Says Thank You to clwydaerials1234 For This Useful Post:

Khun Don (25-01-11)

Thanks

Thank you all. your replies have been very helpful.

Thread Information