PHP Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(433) : eval()'d code on line 110
My Travel Story: Fireman Tom to the Rescue
    Thanks

Fireman Tom to the Rescue

With my friend Chai I had visited his family on the farm where they were cutting rice. In the late afternoon we returned to the village where we wanted to relax a bit before going out for a meal with the family. We had only sat down for a few minutes outside the house when we noticed a strong burning smell. Chai went down the road to investigate and for want of anything better to do I followed him. Soon we saw a big cloud of white smoke rising skywards near a house about a hundred meters away. First I thought one of the farmers was just burning some rubbish, but when we got there it turned out to be a big pile of rice straw which was burning. There were no flames to be seen – only a thick column of white smoke streaming out of the straw. Two teenage boys tried to extinguish the fire with the help of a garden hosepipe. After watching them for a while it became obvious that they were not successful and the smoke continued to rise undiminished.

Since I was the most senior fire fighter at the scene I decided to take over command. To kill the fire we needed to get to its source. I told my crew that we needed to tear the straw apart to get to the smouldering areas inside the straw heap. Chai and one of the boys took long wooden poles with hooks and started to expose the charred straw bits which immediately started to flame up. I had grabbed another hose pipe and after a few failed attempts we managed to attach it to a neighbour's water tank. Together with the other boy I directed the water flow onto the open flames. Because we all had to stand on the straw heap to get close to the fire I also sprayed the areas beneath our feet with water to avoid anyone of us getting burned. Nevertheless it was quite dangerous. One of my crew stumbled and nearly fell into the fire. I immediately directed my hose pipe to the ground around him, but luckily he managed to keep standing and remained unharmed. When the wind suddenly turned I was engulfed by smoke. I already saw the Bangkok Post headline “Tourist died of smoke inhalation in village fire” before I managed to jump aside and get some fresh air into my lungs. Pulling the straw apart was quite exhausting and every so often we would swap roles. After about an hour we had finally succeeded and the fire was extinguished.

Only when we had walked back to Chai’s home did I notice how much I was smelling of smoke and that my clothes were full of soot. Our accommodation was a few miles away from the village and therefore I could not get changed before we went to the restaurant. I looked like a pig but nobody seemed to take notice. Luckily we went to a BBQ restaurant were we could sit outside and it was already dark when we arrived. In an indoors restaurant I might have got kicked out because of the smell. I was wearing sandals without any socks and it took several weeks before the soles of my feet were clean from soot again.

TomUK

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TomUK For This Useful Post:

Jasonkoh82 (20-02-11), Marie (16-02-11), yy (20-02-11)

Thanks

Re: Fireman Tom to the Rescue

I presume the fire started from overheating within the straw and not from another fire, like the kids playing with matches, a fasination for all young people. Hay stacks catch fire or smolder, in Australia, if l am correct, it's because they are stacked when to green. This generate's enormous heat, enough to start's a fire within the stack. Often there is minimal or no smoke, the only evidence is the stack will sink. And as you have done Tom, the stack has to be pulled apart to get to extinguish the fire. Good thing you was in the area l guess.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mozzbie47 View Post
    ...And as you have done Tom, the stack has to be pulled apart to get to extinguish the fire. Good thing you was in the area l guess.

Just for the record: I am not a professional fireman. The largest fire I have ever extinguished before were four candles. - I also think the fire started from within due to overheating.

TomUK

I wish it's Thailand, but don't you too? ;)
    Thanks

Good job, Tom, you probably saved some lives and prevented property damage that day by your prompt action!
    Sleep, little one, close your eyes, mother will sing you a lullaby... Sleep in a jewel cradle, sleep, mother will rock you.
    If you don't sleep the midges will go for your eyes and pollen will fall on the cradle....Sleep, close your eyes...
    - Isaan folksong, from "The Price of a Life" (Onkom, 1997)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TomUK View Post
    Just for the record: I am not a professional fireman. The largest fire I have ever extinguished before were four candles. - I also think the fire started from within due to overheating.

TomUK
    Without your quick and calm response...perhaps more lives were put on the line. Well done Tom!
    Franklin D. Roosevelt - The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TomUK View Post

TomUK
    Doe'st matter mate, you did well.

Thread Information