PHP Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(433) : eval()'d code on line 110
My Travel Story: Sorry Thailand- Too jaded
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Sorry Thailand- Too jaded

2 things stand out from a recent trip to Bangkok that made me think about how jaded I had become.

After dieting for three months I had lost 8 kilos and my pants were decidedly saggy. I hadn’t worn my jeans so low since my early 20’s when I thought it was “gangsta” to do so.

I needed a new hole punched into my belt and asked around at MBK and was directed to a small stand on the third or fourth floor. The nice lady quickly punched a new hole and handed my belt back. Pulling out my wallet, I asked her how much it would be, expecting, and ready to pay, somewhere like 50 to 100 baht.

She smiled and waved us off, indicating that she didn’t want any money. We tried to insist but she wouldn’t take anything from us.

We were very surprised and commented to ourselves that we had never seen anybody in Thailand do anything for us with no expectation of monetary gain.

We were also pleasantly surprised when we were able to get my girlfriend’s iPhone back after returning to a Starbucks she had been to a fortnight earlier.

However after thinking about it for a while, I was kind of disappointed in myself that I was SO surprised by these pleasant outcomes. I mean, had I become so jaded about scams in Thailand and people who come into contact with tourists just trying to get your money that just these two simple acts of kindness were so far out of the realm of possibility in my mind?

So basically, I want to say sorry to Thailand for being so jaded and expecting the worse in people all the time. Sure it’s a good idea to be on your guard and to keep alert, but I guess the lesson here was that you don’t want to shut yourself too tightly, or you just might miss something.

Does this make any sense?
    Follow me on Twitter. I mostly tweet about hotels and resorts in Thailand. |
    Check out my Thailand Tumblr Photo blog

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Jerome For This Useful Post:

billyboy (20-02-11), homejames (22-02-11), Marie (19-02-11), mikeheart (19-02-11), ninjanin (24-06-12), ravip (21-02-11), visionchaser45 (22-02-11)

Thanks

Re: Sorry Thailand- Too jaded

Yep

Thanks
    Thanked 5,318 Times in 3,446 Posts

Makes a lot of sense. I have got jaded just reading the news and the posts here everyday!

I wish it's Thailand, but don't you too? ;)
    Thanks

It does pay sometimes to err on the side of caution (commonly the effect of jadedness). But sounds like you still have a lot within yourself to enjoy Thailand as it is while exercising caution within sensible boundaries, so no problem at all!
    Sleep, little one, close your eyes, mother will sing you a lullaby... Sleep in a jewel cradle, sleep, mother will rock you.
    If you don't sleep the midges will go for your eyes and pollen will fall on the cradle....Sleep, close your eyes...
    - Isaan folksong, from "The Price of a Life" (Onkom, 1997)

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to yy For This Useful Post:

ian71 (19-02-11), Jerome (19-02-11)

Thanks

Allow me to say something. Sometimes I feel that luck is also one important aspect to consider as well...I mean there are a lot of different kinds of people and faces. Some will not hesitate to go for the extra miles with the spirit of not expecting anything in return. Regarding the negative side I would therefore not making a point to mentioning it here..we should have an answer deep within ourselves.

My thoughts is that don't let a bad fruit and branded that every fruit is that kind along...be open up your minds to accept and exercising caution. Be vigilant and to deter any possible threats in any possible way..to help and detect crimes
    Franklin D. Roosevelt - The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little.

Thanks

very frequent while travelling around. for every 10 honest people, there is someone who tries it on (and then gives up), and there is a also a filthy liar (taxi drivers and travel agents mostly), and after incidents, I tend to get very suspicious of everyone and anyone, and sometimes getting into arguments with the wrong people and jumping to conclusions.

Thanks

Betti, I must say that I am guilty of this sometimes too. Especially when I am alone in a foreign land. Last Feb when I was alone in BKK having my pancake lunch at Mae Kai Dee Vegetarian@Khao San, the woman suddenly plonked a huge bottle of something (with words that could barely be seen, and were in Thai) that looked like a drink on my table without a word when I was already halfway into my Thai pancake. My first response (feeling somewhat irritated that she was trying to sell me something I did not order) was, "No! no! no!" telling her that I did not order nor want that drink which looked like some costly, bottled non-alcoholic wine-wananabe thingy that was usually found in vegetarian restaurants or cafes. She laughed it off and said in her halting English, "H-hone-y" and gestured to my pancakes. I felt so embarrassed! I did not realize that honey in Thailand could come in 1-litres and in such wine-looking bottles. I managed a sheepish smile at her and thanked her.
    Sleep, little one, close your eyes, mother will sing you a lullaby... Sleep in a jewel cradle, sleep, mother will rock you.
    If you don't sleep the midges will go for your eyes and pollen will fall on the cradle....Sleep, close your eyes...

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to yy For This Useful Post:

billyboy (20-02-11), ian71 (19-02-11), Jerome (19-02-11)

Thanks

nice one Peiyan :-D
    over the years I have had so many problems with taxi drivers that last year I ended up yelling at a guy in Surat Thani for not taking me where I wanted to go. turned out he knew of another pier that I had no idea about, and which made my trip a whole lot easier :-(
    now that I can speak Thai with people while travelling I feel better and safer (I often stick to English to keep it simple, though), but I am quite scared about my planned Indonesia trip when it comes to taxi drivers etc, many places have a horrible reputation in this regard.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Betti For This Useful Post:

yy (19-02-11)

Thanks

I couldn't agree more with Betti!!! Nice one Peiyan for sharing with us....

Betti regarding with your upcoming Indonesia trip..Its advisable to arrange a car with the hotel personnal. Somehow or whatever, I don't feel safe...
    Franklin D. Roosevelt - The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Betti View Post
    I am quite scared about my planned Indonesia trip when it comes to taxi drivers etc, many places have a horrible reputation in this regard.
    sorry off-topic here, but am definitely looking forward to reading about your trip! Duno if it helps if you post here once every two nights if not every (if you are not too tired) so that we know you are fine. But generally you will be quite all right if you manage a bit of Malay words (much easier to learn than Thai!) before leaving for the trip...

Thread Information