PHP Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(433) : eval()'d code on line 110
What to do in Khon Kaen ( Isaan ) area - David?
    Thanks

Notice! What to do in Khon Kaen ( Isaan ) area - David?

Hi David and all the other forum members that live in the Northeast.
    I am having some free time this coming Summer. May 18 - July 18. I will be living in the Khon Kaen area and would like to go to some festivals, fairs, Museums, and so on. I am looking for ideas.
    Some things you should know about me.
    I do have a car in Thailand, and it does have a bike rack and bikes.
    I have a wife, 3 and 16 year old son, and a 16 yo niece that will be traveling with me.
    We will be spending time ( about a week or two ) down south on a beach.
    SO, type away and tell me what is going on in the area during that time.
    Thank You
    Bruce aka the Duckman

Thanks
    Thanked 1,930 Times in 1,180 Posts

Re: What to do in Khon Kaen ( Isaan ) area - David?

Quote Originally Posted by duckman View Post
    Hi David and all the other forum members that live in the Northeast.
    I actually live in the northeast of Wales, not in Isaan, and I haven't been to Isaan for over two years. Sorry I'm not much help at the moment.

David
    My new travel blog: https://www.weekender.blog/

I wish it's Thailand, but don't you too? ;)
    Thanks

Maybe you will find video podcast no. 5 interesting from the link http://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/id269047560 (I'm unware of how, if possible) to link the specific podcast directly to any webpage.

There's also video podcast no. 8 on the Khon Kaen Agricultural Fair, which seems to be a highlight of the place, but appears to be in Jan of each year, so you will probably already have missed it. This series of podcast offers a nice and refreshing take on Thailand; am quite disappointed James stopped uploading new ones long ago :(

Since you have a car, you may also like to try visitin Phu Kradung Mountain that is beween the Loei and Khon Kaen Highway. Click on Item no. 7 (a video podcast) of the list of podcasts from the first link below. This series look suspiciously like James' work too, especially when the female Yui in both series of podcasts go by the same name and look alike. And sadly too, this series also end prematurely!

http://itunes.apple.com/th/podcast/t...de/id257926717

http://www.guidetothai.com/mountain/kradung-hill.html

Also incidentally found this forum on Khon Kaen which will hopefully be helpful

http://www.khonkaen.com/english/forum/default.asp
    Last edited by yy; 04-03-11 at 09:05 AM. Reason: add "video"
    Sleep, little one, close your eyes, mother will sing you a lullaby... Sleep in a jewel cradle, sleep, mother will rock you.
    If you don't sleep the midges will go for your eyes and pollen will fall on the cradle....Sleep, close your eyes...
    - Isaan folksong, from "The Price of a Life" (Onkom, 1997)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by peiyan View Post
    Maybe you will find video podcast no. 5 interesting from the link http://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/id269047560 (I'm unware of how, if possible) to link the specific podcast directly to any webpage.
    If you had a softcopy of the video in .avi or .flv file extention, it always possible to upload in youtube and post a video link here. If the video format doesn't recongise in youtoube, can try go google n type in any video converter and you can convert the video in which format you want.
    Franklin D. Roosevelt - The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little.

Thanks

I have a copy in my Itunes Library but it could not be linked the usual way as Youtube videos (I think).

Honestly, I do find it easier for myself to just link to the podcast directory than doing all the conversions, then linking it haha
    Sleep, little one, close your eyes, mother will sing you a lullaby... Sleep in a jewel cradle, sleep, mother will rock you.
    If you don't sleep the midges will go for your eyes and pollen will fall on the cradle....Sleep, close your eyes...

Blog Entries
    Thanks

There's a fair amount to do in Khon Kaen. It was one of my favorite places in Isaan. Not sure if you and your family are foreign (english speaking) but Khon Kaen is a university city and has plenty of students willing to practise their english on farang. Bueng Kaen Nakhon is a huge lake in the city centre which is nice for day time or evening strolls. From the lake you should be able to see Nong Wang Muang Kao Temple which you can enter and climb to the top of during the day. Spectacular views, with interesting rooms to look around on the accent up the temple.

Sandwiched between the city gate and city pillar shrine (both mini attraction in themselves) is a huge central shopping mall that screens the latest movies in both thai and english... not a bad evening out in itself.

If you have a car, i'd recommend Ku Thong or Ku puay noi which is a beautiful khmer sanctuary located about 55miles (85km) out of town. Another out of town attraction is Ulborat dam which has great walks and is the perfect place to take a family and picnic. If you goto the dam, you'll notice a big white buddha statue in the back ground. It's easy enough to get to it by asking directions. Phu Wiang national park is another possible outing but be warned it's not easy to find your way around. Just before the park is a great dinosaur museum (free entry). The park also grants you access to Tat Fa waterfall which has a great view point nearby too. Though unless you have a 4X4 dont even attempt to access the waterfall, and especially the view point.

Hope you have a good trip, there are a few other attractions, but can't remember them off the top of my head.

Thanks

In Khon Kaen town, you can visit Beung Kaen Nakorn (lake), KK Chinese Temple, Wat Nong Weng, City Museum, KK University (bazaar/fair held sometimes), Central Plaza, City Shrine.

Phu Kradeung National Park (Loei), Phu Kao Phu Pankam National Park (Nong Bua), turtle village, Kalasin dinosaur relics museum, Ubonrath Dam, Upper Isaan Zoo, are out of KK town but still reachable by driving a car.
    Life is short, cherish all you have and live everyday of your life the best you can. :)

Thanks

talking Re: What to do in Khon Kaen ( Isaan ) area - David?

Thank you all for your input.
    Sorry David, I was under the impression that you had moved to Isaan.
    Peiyan, Thank you for the KKC forum web site. I remember it from five years ago and it was not much. It looks like it is under new management and doing better.
    Arwing and PJ_quek, thank you for the ideas. My family is a Thai / American mix. My wife being Thai. I will look into the spots and try to report back on the ones that we go to.
    Thank you again
    Bruce aka Duckman

Thanks

Hope you have a great holiday and put up some photos here for us who cannot be there to enjoy

Thread Information