PHP Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(433) : eval()'d code on line 110
My trip to Burma.
Page 1 of 20 123411 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,528 Times in 464 Posts

My trip to Burma.

Hi,

My first ever trip to Burma was last year in december 2010. It all came about after reading in the forums about Bettis holiday there. It inspired me to make the long journey to the country of Myanmar. My trip was for 14 days and it took me to Rangoon, Nyaungshwe to visit Inle Lake, Mandalay because i wanted to see the magnificent teak bridge that is on the front cover on the Lonely Planet guide and Bagan the land of thousands of Temples. It is here that i booked a hot air balloon trip to see as much as i could on my visit..( it was only after making the flight booking i remembered my fear of heights ). I will come back later to this one! To finaly get to the airport and departure from the UK to Burma via a stay in Bangkok for Loy Krathong it took an extremely lot of e-mails and correspondance to sort internal flights in Burma out and countless hours probably running into days researching and trying to sort my visa and getting to grips with the currency and where,how and what you can and cannot exchange was a bit of a concern. I will explain in more detail in later posts, but now i have done it and been there i now know it will not be half as much work next time and will share any information with anyone who might be thinking of making a trip to Burma. All in all it was a dream holiday, and please will you join me on my trip.

I arrived a little late in the evening into Rangoon from Bangkok and had pre- booked a place to stay there.No problems on arrival,passport control was very fast and as soon as i got through i was met by a taxi driver from the hotel to take me there. I was very excited on the journey, a new country, new sights, and before i new it i saw the huge magnificent Shwedegon Pagoda in all it's glory towering in blazing gold all lit up, it was stunning. In no time i was at my hotel and unpacked and headed for Kandawagi Lake which was a short taxi drive away.I will try to keep my postings and pictures in some order, but here are some to start with and i will post more later.
    Not sure if i have done this correct but the first photograph is a family enjoying an evening in the park. The second shows Shwedegon Pagoda at sunset and the third one is just after sunset. I have many pictures to post, please bear with me.

Thank you,

Billy.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kandawagi Park..jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	266.9 KB 
ID:	14087   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sunset at Shwedegon ..jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	114.9 KB 
ID:	14088  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Shwedegon Pagoda..jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	75.4 KB 
ID:	14089  

2. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to billyboy For This Useful Post:

fileeep (12-03-11), Khun Don (12-03-11), Marie (12-03-11), nam phyyng (12-03-11), peetjuh (04-05-11), Siso99 (20-08-11), Sp0t (07-08-11), Susana (12-03-11), wilma (12-09-14), yy (12-03-11)

I wish it's Thailand, but don't you too? ;)
    Thanks

Re: My trip to Burma.

The sunset and pagoda photos are especially magical! The family photo is rather provoking feelings of homesickness for me right now at this moment cos it makes me think of home and local food!
    Sleep, little one, close your eyes, mother will sing you a lullaby... Sleep in a jewel cradle, sleep, mother will rock you.
    If you don't sleep the midges will go for your eyes and pollen will fall on the cradle....Sleep, close your eyes...
    - Isaan folksong, from "The Price of a Life" (Onkom, 1997)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to yy For This Useful Post:

billyboy (13-03-11)

Thanks

Billyyyyyy! I hate your timing. I'm at BKK airport.
    so you couldn't keep away from Shwedagon, eh? :-D I still advise everyone to keep it for the very last sight to see. I think it makes more sense after seeing other things around the country (including other impressive golden chedis). after this one, any golden chedi will be kind of..... small.
    keep the pictures and stories coming, hope I can read you once I get to Yogya. (would that be on yout itinerary next year, I wonder?)

I wish it's Thailand, but don't you too? ;)
    Thanks

Hi Betti, u r on the way to Yogya now?! Awesome, be awaiting your reports!!! Have lots fun ya!

*Sorry, Billy, for hijacking your posting!*
    Sleep, little one, close your eyes, mother will sing you a lullaby... Sleep in a jewel cradle, sleep, mother will rock you.
    If you don't sleep the midges will go for your eyes and pollen will fall on the cradle....Sleep, close your eyes...
    - Isaan folksong, from "The Price of a Life" (Onkom, 1997)

Thanks

Betti is correct, Shwedegon is best left to visit at the end of any trip to Burma, i visited on my last day there, but i should have had a couple of days to view it, there is always next time though! I will come back to Shwedegon later.There is a small charge to enter the Kandawagi lake area and once inside and walking around you will see lots of small restaurants serving nice food and i liked the view of the massive Royal Barge that is there. It looks spectacular lit up at night.There where quite a few tourist buses there when i went to the park this particular evening, i think they put some sort of show on in the Barge.It was quite popular with the young locals during evening time in the park, most seemed to want there picture taken as soon as they saw the camera.Although Rangoon has a no beeping of the horn policy but still plenty of traffic it made Kandawagi seem like a little oasis of peace and tranquility, a nice place to chill out in the evening time. I grabbed a nice cold Myanmar beer and settled down by the lakeside waiting for the nightime breeze to die down then i took this picture of the barge. The reflection gives the impression of a large mouth like entrance to it Oh, and the youngsters wanted there picture taken also!

Billy.

Name:	Happy..jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	130.3 KB 
ID:	14091   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Royal Barge Image..jpg 
Size:	187.5 KB 
ID:	14092  

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to billyboy For This Useful Post:

Betti (13-03-11), Khun Don (13-03-11), Susana (13-03-11), yy (13-03-11)

Thanks

Sadly poverty in Burma is never far away. There is a railway station next to Boyoke market in Rangoon, it was on a bridge over the railway track that this mum was begging for food for herself and children.I bought them some water and food. It was hard to refuse some people but sometimes you have to, i just wished i could have given to all. This is a picture of the mum and her children also a young girl with her younger brother.

Billy

Name:	Mother and children 1..jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	207.6 KB 
ID:	14093   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sister and baby brother..jpg 
Size:	133.1 KB 
ID:	14094  

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to billyboy For This Useful Post:

Flower (10-07-11), Susana (13-03-11), yy (13-03-11)

Thanks

The railway station near the market was a hive of activity with people carrying massive bags of what i think might have been fabrics of some sort, smaller parcels where pilled on top of the big bags, nevertheless they looked very heavy and in one of these photographs you will see a little baby that i thought would have been crushed or injured if one of these bags fell on her. The station seems to be the main hub for the clothing and goods that are on sale at Boyoke Market.

Billy

Name:	Rangoon Station..jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	119.0 KB 
ID:	14100   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Just in Time..jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	212.2 KB 
ID:	14099  

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to billyboy For This Useful Post:

Flower (10-07-11), Susana (14-03-11), yy (14-03-11)

Thanks

I would like to be able to do text then a photograph then text again and another photograph and so on but i do not know how to if anyone can advise or help please.

Thank you,

Billy.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,318 Times in 3,446 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by billyboy View Post
    I would like to be able to do text then a photograph then text again and another photograph and so on but i do not know how to if anyone can advise or help please.

Thank you,

Billy.
    Go to "Manage Attachments" in normal way. ->"add file"-> "select file"-> "upload file". All as you normally do.
    Now, when the file has loaded and the thumbnail is showing in the lower "Attachments" box, UNTICK the tick in the bottom right hand corner of the thumbnail (most important).
    Close the manage attachments box and return to the "Your Message or "Quick reply" box where you are going to post photo and comment.
    Click with mouse in the box where you want photo to appear.
    Move up to top toolbar on box-should read "AA", "Fonts", "Sizes" "A", a smilie, then an icon which is a large paper clip and a small piece of paper CLICK THIS.
    "Manage Attachments" box opens with details of the photo you have just uploaded (title and size) CLICK ON THESE DETAILS.
    Where you clicked where you wanted your photo to appear should now show "[Attach] (number) [/Attach]"
    Add text underneath
    Add further photos and text by same process and upload in the normal manner when finished.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Khun Don For This Useful Post:

billyboy (14-03-11)

Thanks

I have been very reluctant to visit Burma as I see that as giving support to the ruling junta. I do have a conscience problem as the people there are very poor and would be helped greatly by any tourist dollars they can get. I would like to help the people but hate the thought of propping up or in any way legitimizing the ruling military. Anyone care to comment on my dilemma?

17. The Following User Says Thank You to kfchugo For This Useful Post:

Khun Don (14-03-11)

Thread Information