PHP Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(433) : eval()'d code on line 110
questions about displaying images of the flag
    Thanks

questions about displaying images of the flag

Hi, I am a college student. I was sitting in class recently and a friend sat next to me with his messenger bag. On his bag, he had a patch with a yellow flag on it. When I asked him about it, he said that he had recently been in Thailand and had bought the patch there. He said the yellow flag represented the King of Thailand.

So I am wondering, is it allowed (i.e. legal) to wear an image of the King's flag? Does Thailand have any laws about depictions of the flag, like on t-shirts or clothing?

Thanks,

Tim

Thanks

Re: questions about displaying images of the flag

I too am interested in this ...... in my travels around Thailand, I have seen flags of many nations. Some expats fly their national flag at their home and I have often wondered about the legality of that. Likewise, I have seen some terrible examples of the Thai flag..... old, worn flags that were mere tatters fluttering in the breeze. While I dont know the law, if I were living in Thailand and wanted to fly my national flag, I would fly it BELOW a Thai flag and I would ensure that BOTH were in good condition.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,018 Times in 1,175 Posts

It really depends on who your political allies and enemies are!

Thanks

talking Re: questions about displaying images of the flag

The thing I am most curious about is whether or not it is ok to wear the personal flag of the King like my friend was doing? I mean, one of two things can happen here:

1. Only the King is allowed to wear the King's flag with Royal cypher "..." and crown. Wearing His flag on your t-shirt or messenger bag will get you arrested.

2. People appreciate that you are showing your love for the King, and they think you are patriotic.

I (think) the correct answer is #2, since my friend was walking around Thailand with the yellow flag on his book bag, and he came back to America to tell everyone how great the Thai people are and what an amazing time he had visiting the country.

However, I don't really know for sure... maybe he escaped some kind of severe punishment because the cloth patch on his bag was not seen by a policeman?

Thanks to everyone who answers,

Tim
    Last edited by tbyrne; 18-03-11 at 04:04 PM. Reason: typo

Thanks

I think those kind of items are sold everywhere, so I think nothing wrong with wearing them and surely Thai people would be proud that foreigners wear them with proud; but surely you should handle those kind of items with respect.

But still not sure of it might get you in some kind of trouble.

But as I said those kind of items are sold everywhere as stickers, patches etc. and Thai people themselves put stickers of Royal Flags etc. on their cars etc.
    My interesting blog about Thailand at Thailand Blog ---> click here

Thanks

There was a time not so long ago when pretty much the whole country was wearing yellow or pink t-shirts with royal insignia to show their love for the monarchy, so as long symbols of the monarchy are treated with respect (i.e. definitely do not put the flag on shoes!) then I think you'll be fine.
    Last edited by Mike; 18-03-11 at 06:21 PM. Reason: Sorry djaidee, I was writing my post same time as you and it seems to be pretty similar:)

Thanks

Go into just about any house in Thailand and you will see a photo of the king, He is still much respected by the Thai people.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to paul_au For This Useful Post:

Mozzbie47 (19-03-11)

Thanks

That is interested,i want buy it.

Thread Information