PHP Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(433) : eval()'d code on line 110
Singapore News About Thais/Thailand - Page 3
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: Singapore News About Thais/Thailand

Thai girl in MRT accident in serious but stable condition

A 14-year-old Thai girl who sustained bodily injuries after being hit by a train at Ang Mo Kio MRT station on Sunday, is in serious but stable condition.

Peneakchanasak Nitcharee is currently at Tan Tock Seng Hospital's High Dependency ward and her condition is being monitored closely.

Train operator SMRT said it has contacted the family and will offer their assistance.

The accident has sparked concern among commuters who feel more can be done to beef up safety measures at MRT stations.

"I think for Ang Mo Kio, they need the gate like Jurong East has," said a commuter.

On the installation of the "half-height platform screen doors" (HHPSD), the Land Transport Authority said all elevated stations will be fitted with these by 2012. It said work on such doors is limited to just two to three hours each night, as they can only be carried out when trains are not in operation.

LTA has prioritised the installation works by targeting more crowded stations such as Jurong East, Clementi and Yishun. Priority was also given to the East-West Line (EWL), as it has more elevated stations than the North-South Line (NSL).

At present, 15 out of 36 above-ground stations are installed with HHPSD. These are Pasir Ris, Jurong East, Yishun, Bukit Gombak, Bukit Batok, Clementi, Chinese Garden, Lakeside, Eunos, Paya Lebar, Bedok, Aljunied, Kallang, Kembangan and Tenah Merah Stations.

Works on the other stations along the EWL will be completed by the third quarter this year, while the remaining stations on the NSL will be completed by 2012.

Police investigations into the accident are ongoing.

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stori...120626/1/.html
    Life is short, cherish all you have and live everyday of your life the best you can. :)

Thanks

Fish, vegetable prices on the rise due to Thai floods

Floods in southern Thailand have made it more expensive for businesses to import fish and vegetables into Singapore.

Vegetable importers said that there has been a delay in their supply due to heavy rains which affect transportation.

This is why, for every 15kg of vegetables brought in, the price has increased by S$2.

Transport woes have also affected the supply of popular fish and fish-based products.

Some importers said that the prices of such fish have doubled.

Lee Boon Cheow, President of the Singapore Fish Merchant's General Association, said: "From S$3-4 a kilo of our wholesale up to S$6-7. So we expect when the weather is better or the flood is over, the price will go back as normal."

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stori...120618/1/.html
    Life is short, cherish all you have and live everyday of your life the best you can. :)

I wish it's Thailand, but don't you too? ;)
    Thanks

It's interesting and nice to know that there are so many Thai/Thailand related news in Singapore. Thanks to both you guys for keeping the thread going!
    Sleep, little one, close your eyes, mother will sing you a lullaby... Sleep in a jewel cradle, sleep, mother will rock you.
    If you don't sleep the midges will go for your eyes and pollen will fall on the cradle....Sleep, close your eyes...
    - Isaan folksong, from "The Price of a Life" (Onkom, 1997)

Thanks

You are most welcome, Peiyan!

There is some thing I would like to comment. In 2007 when I was in tapei, some of their train stations had already installed the "half-height platform screen doors" unlike singapore just only recently started to push it....even at that time their version of "EZlink" quality is better than us.I mean, if our older EZlink Card being in contact it water, its end will start to open up slowly and not very durable. Somemore the cost of the card is S$3. Don't you think they earn a lot?
    Franklin D. Roosevelt - The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jasonkoh82 View Post
    You are most welcome, Peiyan!

There is some thing I would like to comment. In 2007 when I was in tapei, some of their train stations had already installed the "half-height platform screen doors" unlike singapore just only recently started to push it....even at that time their version of "EZlink" quality is better than us.I mean, if our older EZlink Card being in contact it water, its end will start to open up slowly and not very durable. Somemore the cost of the card is S$3. Don't you think they earn a lot?
    In SG, no matter you drive or use public transport, as long as you use, they will earn.
    Unless you ride your own bicycle, or walk (some places need to pay $ for walking).
    SG is a clean place, too clean that people/government is very difficult to be innovative.

Thanks

:( It really saddens me

'How do I explain this to her parents?'

SHE was initially reluctant to take care of such a young girl.

But she eventually agreed to act as the guardian of the 14-year-old Thai student because she found her "obedient, polite and kind".

"She is not the playful sort. She is very cute, and she is a good girl. She spent her days doing homework at home," said the guardian of Peneakchanasak Nitcharee, the girl who was hit by an MRT train on Sunday.

he guardian, who wanted to be known only as Mrs Ng, told The New Paper that she had allowed Nitcharee to go out with her classmates as she had grown close to them during the three weeks she had been in Singapore.

The student was having her school holidays, and had come to Singapore to see the sights and to enrol in a course to improve her English.

Mrs Ng thought it would be a pity if Nitcharee spent her holiday in Singapore cooped up at home, so she allowed her to go out with her friends, who also had strict guardians and were well-behaved.

Some of them are scholarship-holders, she claimed.

But on the day she was supposed to meet her friends for a cycling outing at East Coast Park, Nitcharee - who was staying at the home of her guardian's relative at Ang Mo Kio Avenue 8 - was heading towards City Hall MRT to meet her friends when she fell from the platform and was hit by an on coming MRT train.

Both her legs were crushed - one was severed instantly, and the other had to be amputated later in hospital.

Recounting her shock and confusion over the incident, Mrs Ng said she first got wind of the accident when she received a call from Nitcharee, who was crying over the phone and speaking in Thai.

But Mrs Ng, who is a Singaporean, is unable to understand Thai, so she tried getting her daughter's friend, who is Thai, to help to translate.

However, her daughter's friend did not respond to their calls.

When there was no news from Nitcharee after five minutes, Mrs Ng and her daughter started to fear that something had gone terribly wrong.

They tried dialing Nitcharee's number again, and eventually a man answered, and said: "There has been an accident at the MRT."

No glass panels

"When I heard that it was an MRT accident, I knew that something serious had happened, because there are no glass panels at Ang Mo Kio," said Mrs Ng.

Accompanied by her daughter, she quickly drove to the MRT station to find out more.

They saw several Singapore Civil Defence Force (SCDF) vehicles near the station.

Mrs Ng said: "My heart sank. I didn't know what to do."

Someone later told them that the girl had already been taken to Tan Tock Seng Hospital.

Mrs Ng said: "Someone also told us that it was a 20-year-old woman who was involved in the accident.

When I heard that, I felt a little relieved."

But when they arrived at the emergency department at the hospital, a member of the hospital's staff took out Nitcharee's passport and showed it to them.

"When they confirmed that she was the one, my whole body turned cold. The police officer had to support me," said Mrs Ng.

What followed was an excruciating five-hour wait as Nitcharee underwent surgery.

"When I saw that she didn't have her legs any more, it wasas though I was struck dumb.I don't know how to explain this to her parents," she added.

After a day of horror, the nightmare has yet to end for Mrs Ng.

The next morning after a sleepless night on Sunday, she saw comments from netizens about the incident which upset her.

Some said that the young Thai student deserved it for standing so near the edge of the platform that she could have fallen off.

Others speculated that she had attempted suicide, said Mrs Ng.

"How could anyone say that she deserves to suffer like this just because she stood near the edge of the platform?

"I was really angry when my daughter showed me the comments today. Please have some sympathy. Can you imagine how her parents would feel if they saw those comments?" she asked.

Mrs Ng insisted that Nitcharee was not suicidal, and that she was on her way to meet her friends.

She said: "That morning, she told my sister-in-law that she ate a little bit,and that she was going out.

"Until now, I still don't know how to face this situation. This is such a heartache."

Mrs Ng said that she and her relatives had taught Nitcharee about safety precautions to take when travelling alone.

"When we crossed the road, we even taught her how to cross only when she saw the green man light up.

"I'm so sad that this has happened," said Mrs Ng.

Try temporary barriers: MP

THIS 1.6m-high door could have saved her from falling onto the tracks at Ang Mo Kio MRT station.

But these platform screen doors, designed to keep people off the train tracks, have so far been installed at 15 MRT stations, including Pasir Ris, Jurong East and Bedok.

There are 36 above-ground MRT stations.

The Land Transport Authority (LTA) said that the installation of the doors for the North-South Line, which includes Ang Mo Kio, will be completed by 2012.

For the East-West Line, installation will be completed by the third quarter of this year.

The$126 million project for all above-ground stations should turn train incidents like Sunday's into a thing of the past.

On Sunday, a 14-year-old Thai girl, Peneakchanasak Nitcharee, fell onto the track at Ang Mo Kio MRT, losing both her legs.

More can be done

The incident prompted MP Lim Wee Kiak, chairman of the Government Parliamentary Committee for Transport, to call for more to be done to keep commuters safe in the meantime.

"I understand that they (LTA) have operational constraints. But if permanent ones can't be up now, how about temporary ones?"

"Maybe they should put a temporary barrier in between the doors or even move the platform's yellow line inwards," suggested Dr Lim.

He explained that these barriers are relatively inexpensive and will ensure that commuters stand further away from the tracks.

Commuter Mr Damien Tan, 29, agreed that more could be done now to prevent such incidents.

He liked the idea of moving the platform's yellow line inwards.

Said the civil servant: "At least that works like a barrier so that people will stand further away from the tracks."

He added: "Or perhaps there should be more service ambassadors to patrol the platform as a precautionary measure and also to tell people to stand further away from the platform edge."

LTA did not comment on whether it will implement any temporary measures.

An LTA spokesman said:"Wehave prioritised the installation works by targeting more crowded stations such as Jurong East, Clementi and Yishun.

"Priority wasalso given to the East-West Line, as it has more elevated stations than the North-South Line."

There were 16 cases a year of commuters straying onto the tracks in 2004 and 2005,and 31 in 2007, reported The Straits Times in 2009.

In 2008, there were 23 cases of commuters straying onto the tracks.

Such incidents have prompted repeated calls for platform screen doors by Members of Parliament and commuters since 2004.

But it was only in 2009 that the Government gave the go-ahead for the doors to be installed, saying that the cost of such doors had come down.

LTA explained that the platform screen doors typically take four to six months to prepare and be fully installed at each MRT station as works can only be carried out - between 1.30am and 4am-when the trains are not in operations.

"This leaves us with just 21/2 hours each night to do the work," said Mr Chua Chong Kheng, LTA's group director of rail(Thomson and existing lines) in The Straits Times report in 2009.

Singapore Technologies Electronics, which won the contract to install the doors, is carrying out the works.

LTA said that workers have to access the tracks each night to cut away the edge of the platform next to the train track, remove the electrical insulation membrane and drill into the platform to mount the foundation for the platform screen door.

Then, they have to install the door frames, put up the actual screen door, and carry out rigorous testing and commissioning to ensure reliability and safety.

The doors are made in China, said LTA.

Singapore is not the first city to have half-height platform screen doors in its train stations.

Such doors are also found at some stations in Taipei, Taiwan and Paris, France.

http://www.asiaone.com/News/AsiaOne%...05-271909.html
    Franklin D. Roosevelt - The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little.

Thanks

少女坠地铁被碾断双腿 断脚先火化撒大海

两位泰国高僧昨天到病床边为少女念经,床上少女和一旁的姑姑也双手合十,跟着默念。Photo Gallery

被地铁列车碾断双腿的少女,人没死,双腿先进棺材火化,骨灰撒新加坡大海。

《联合晚报》日前报道,泰国少女尼查勒(Peneakchanasak Nitcharee),周日(3日)在宏茂桥地铁站月台等候列车时,突然一阵晕眩,坠入轨道,结果双腿被列 车碾过。

她在陈笃生医院治疗,情况渐好,昨天凌晨转入普通病房。

少女被截肢的双腿,在医院殓尸房储藏5天后,于今早领出,与少女出事时穿的衣服安置在小棺材,送到蔡厝港火 化场火化。

泰大使探访少女,将提供援助。完整报道,请翻阅08.04.2011《联合晚报》。

Thanks

Thai teen in MRT accident reunites with father

By Seet Sok Hwee, Qiuyi Tan | Posted: 08 April 2011 2040 hrs

SINGAPORE: The Thai teenager who lost both legs in a train accident at Ang Mo Kio MRT station on April 3, Peneakchanasak Nitcharee, has finally been reunited with her father. He arrived in Singapore on Friday morning after a 15-hour overnight bus journey from Trang in southern Thailand.

The fourteen-year-old was speaking to reporters at Tan Tock Seng Hospital.

Her father, who is in the insurance business, did not wish to be filmed, but observers said their reunion was a moving sight.

Nopadol Gunavibool, the Thai Ambassador to Singapore, said: "He hugged his daughter closely and whispered to her, gave her moral support, cheer up, things like that. And especially what she is worried about is her mother."

Nitcharee's mother is traumatised by her daughter's accident, and is waiting for news at home in Thailand while her father was held up by the floods in Southern Thailand, and only managed to travel to Singapore by bus on Friday afternoon.

The Thai Ambassador said she is a bright student who dreams of becoming a doctor.

She arrived in Singapore three weeks ago, to take English lessons during the three-month school holidays in Thailand but on Sunday, April 3, she fell onto the train tracks at Ang Mo Kio MRT station, and was hit by an oncoming train.

Tan Tock Seng Hospital told Channel News Asia that she is in good health and is undergoing counselling.

The embassy said donations are coming in for Nitcharee's family, but declined to reveal the amount.

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stori...121580/1/.html

I wish it's Thailand, but don't you too? ;)
    Thanks

This is a terrible, terrible accident. My condolences to the family.
    Sleep, little one, close your eyes, mother will sing you a lullaby... Sleep in a jewel cradle, sleep, mother will rock you.
    If you don't sleep the midges will go for your eyes and pollen will fall on the cradle....Sleep, close your eyes...
    - Isaan folksong, from "The Price of a Life" (Onkom, 1997)

Thanks

:'( Me too...when I heard the news. My condolences to the family.

Thread Information