Thanks
    Thanked 3,576 Times in 1,846 Posts

What to Call Kate ?

(Has it ever crossed your mind how Kate will be called once she weds Prince William? If you are ready to be confused, read on! )

Kate Middleton's engagement to Prince William has sparked an avalanche of Web interest. Top of mind now: What will Kate's new title be? Is she in line to be queen? And how does Prince Harry figure into all this?

Figuring all this out can be a royal pain, so we did the legwork for you. Here's a quick summary of everything you ever wanted to know about royal marriages but were too common to ask.

Kate's title

Once married, Kate Middleton will unofficially become "Princess Catherine." The official title will likely be Her Royal Highness Catherine of Wales. Eventually, after many years and barring any unforeseen tragedy or divorce, she and William will become the Queen and King of England. But! She won't have that title until her father-in-law to-be, Prince Charles of Wales, has had his turn.

The future queen?
    Kate being queen is a ways away. In the meantime, she and William will likely earn an honorary title after marrying. An article from People magazine speculates that some possible titles include the "dukedoms of Clarence, Cambridge and Sussex." These titles are "eminently suitable" for the couple. Why? HowStuffWorks explains that the titles of duke and duchess are among the highest order of nobility. If things go according to plan, eventually she will be the queen. First, though, the title of duchess is most likely.

Who decides on the titles?

The queen does, who else? An excellent article from the Sydney Morning Herald explains that if "the Prince surprises all and turns down a title, Kate would become HRH (Her Royal Highness) Princess William of Wales or Princess Catherine or Kate of Wales." Again, though, this is highly unlikely. When Prince Charles becomes king, it is believed that he will name William Prince of Wales, thus making Kate the Princess of Wales. Confused yet?

What about Harry?

Prince William's younger brother, Harry, is also in line to be King of England, but he is behind William. So, if and when he does marry, he won't be able to promise his bride-to-be the lofty title of queen. Sigh! The perils of being the younger brother. Still, we imagine that Harry is pleased to remain a prince. After all, it's a pretty sweet life. And as for what title Prince Harry's future wife will have, that's anybody's guess.

What about Prince Philip?

If your entire sum knowledge of royal lineage comes from "King Ralph," you might not understand why the queen's husband, Prince Philip, is not the king. Some online sources explain that "the husband of a female monarch does not have any recognized special status, rank, or privileges." However, other sources argue that if the queen wanted to appoint Philip as king, she could. Sheesh, and we thought "Lost" was confusing.

( Yahoo! News, 17 April 2011)

Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or an idiot from any direction.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,227 Times in 3,370 Posts

Re: What to Call Kate ?

"But! She won't have that title until her father-in-law to-be, Prince Charles of Wales, has had his turn."

Charles may not be king-he is not compelled to take the throne (also he may not be granted it by the government of the day!) He will not be an altogether popular choice if he does become King-Camilla just being part of the problem!

The Queen does not have the sole right to appoint Philip King -it is a constitutional monarchy-and the government has the last word on royal appointments etc

Example for government power and the monarchy: Abdication crisis of 1936.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edward_...ication_crisis
    Last edited by Khun Don; 17-04-11 at 07:28 PM.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Khun Don For This Useful Post:

billk (18-04-11), Marie (17-04-11)

Thanks

Any way I wish them well.

Thanks

Now I know who is Kate
    Never hit someone below the belt; for you are not the creator.

Thanks

was it an April 1st joke what I think I read somewhere in a haste that Queen Elizabeth is going to abdicate and give power to the newlyweds, skipping Charles? must have been :-( I was so happy to read that :-(

Thanks
    Thanked 5,227 Times in 3,370 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Betti View Post
    was it an April 1st joke what I think I read somewhere in a haste that Queen Elizabeth is going to abdicate and give power to the newlyweds, skipping Charles? must have been :-( I was so happy to read that :-(
    There is the possibility that HM will abdicate and a distinct possibility that the throne will skip Charles-for a variety of reasons-Thailand's laws of Lese Majeste applying to monarchs of other nations as it does precludes me from saying anymore about him-but there are no credible reports that it is going to happen in the next week or so.
    HM has a say in who gets the throne-but not the final word-incidentally Charles is not her favorite child-Andrew is !-but he is well down the queue for the throne. That aside, apart from William, many would like, given a choice, to see Princess Anne the Princess Royal (the latter title was awarded for services to the country above and beyond the Royal norm) get the throne-but unlikely-even though the current government are considering scrapping the law that gives male children preference over females to the throne.

Thread Information