Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,562 Times in 1,839 Posts

Perama cruise boat sinks off Komodo, Indonesia

Betti was aboard that boat! She emailed this account a few minutes back-and I hastened to post it without cleaning up, contrary to her request. Let us try to help her and her companions!~~Marie

---------------------------------------------------

guys, I cannot log in to the forums, I keep getting logged out. please post this on the forum in a new thread. thanks

sorry I am putting this here, someone please clean this up.

our boat ran on rocks in rough weather at 2 am last night and got stuck. when it started flipping over we had to jump into the waves in heavy rain and swim ashore. we climbed over some slippery rocks to inside a protected bay where we were picked up by the dinghy of a liveaboard diveboat Moana. 17 tourists 8 crew all safe, including a 10 month old baby. Argentinian, Danish, Dutch, Canadian, American, British, German nationals and me. I went into shock for hours, people were holding me and trying to keep me awake. I have no idea what I did they say I spoke a lot of Hungarian and was crying for hours. some of the others went into shock later. the trip back to Labuanbajo on the harbour masters boat took 3 hours and we had HUGE waves, I was crying again and holding on to one of the travel guides. the baby had lots of fun screaming and enjoying it.... her parents are in shock now, they were so calm back there.
    many of us have wet passports, I escaped with nothing. a wet shirt, trousers and shoes. not even underwear. my passport was in the captain's safety box, which may or may not have been rescued when the crew tried to recover belongings later in the morning. we still don't know. worst case scenario, I am stuck in Labuanbajo, Flores, with nothing, no money, no documents, not even a clean shirt. I already contacted my embassy in Jakarta. and we still need to see what the company Perama, the biggest and best reputation in the area, will do to help us.

I may need your help guys..... if everything is lost, I will need to travel back to Jakarta and Hungary, i cannot even return to Thailand. everything is lost for now, ncluding my house keys....
    at the moment, can you please put out word on the travel forums, Lonely Planet etc. it is rough seas off Sumbawa, very strong waves, nobody take any liveaboards from Lombok to Komodo if possible. Labuanbajo had torrential rain last night.

I have no idea at the moment how much pressure we need to put on Perama to get compensation but it may be a good idea to give them some trashing. weather happens, accidents happen, but it did not just happen that half the lifejackets on board were broken and useless, we only just found enough. sometimes the boat carrried 30 people. we will never know to what extent it was human error. the captain was trying to get us into a protected bay, we almost made it, 100 metres.... but he had to navigate in between two little islands surrounding Komodo.
    travel blogger http://www.adventurouskate.com/ was on the boat with us and I think she is already making some fuss about it - she saved her iphone.
    sorry Billy - no photos whatsoever remain from this holiday, you'll have to imagine it.

I'll let you know what happened.
    please help us get the word out there on thorn tree and other places if someone can save some time.--Betti
    Last edited by Khun Don; 31-03-11 at 07:06 PM. Reason: Looking to add key words-cant see box

Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or an idiot from any direction.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Marie For This Useful Post:

billyboy (28-03-11), Jasonkoh82 (28-03-11), nam phyyng (29-03-11), yy (29-03-11)

Thanks

Re: Perama cruise boat sinks off Komodo, Indonesia

Oh dear...everything doesn't matter as long as you are safe and sound, Betti! Stay strong!
    Franklin D. Roosevelt - The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Jasonkoh82 For This Useful Post:

yy (29-03-11)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,523 Times in 463 Posts

Oh my word, unbelievable!!!!, Betti i don't know what to say, thank goodness you are all safe, it sounds like a nightmare, hang in there and i hope help will soon assist you.

Billy.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to billyboy For This Useful Post:

yy (29-03-11)

Blog Entries
    Thanks

That must have been so scary to have happened in the middle of the night. Let us know how we can help you.

One of the passengers that was on the boat is tweeting here: http://twitter.com/adventurouskate

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Just got this update from Betti:

I'm fine, got my passport and money back by some miracle, there is no immediate emergency. hoping to get back to Bali tomorrow or the day after, only option is to fly.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Richard Barrow For This Useful Post:

Jasonkoh82 (29-03-11), yy (29-03-11)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,523 Times in 463 Posts

Betti managed to e-mail me and asked me to pass this message on,

could you please post it that I got my passport money and all my cards back so there is no immediate danger. I will fly back to Bali tomorrow or the day after. I lost all my clothes and stuff though and they will need replacing. also the two cameras are soaked and useless. I will go to sleep now. thanks for all for helping and listening. I'm alive.

Billy.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to billyboy For This Useful Post:

yy (29-03-11)

Thanks

Betti, so sorry you had to go through this horrible, scary experience.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Norb For This Useful Post:

yy (29-03-11)

Thanks

Oh Betti. Am so glad you are safe!
    Never hit someone below the belt; for you are not the creator.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to trangam For This Useful Post:

yy (29-03-11)

I wish it's Thailand, but don't you too? ;)
    Thanks

Yes, like all the others, I'm just so glad you are alive and safe, not injured or anything!!! We are also so happy to hear that you got your most important stuff back - your money and passport! Enjoy the rest of your trip!
    Sleep, little one, close your eyes, mother will sing you a lullaby... Sleep in a jewel cradle, sleep, mother will rock you.
    If you don't sleep the midges will go for your eyes and pollen will fall on the cradle....Sleep, close your eyes...
    - Isaan folksong, from "The Price of a Life" (Onkom, 1997)

Thanks

Great to hear you are OK Betti!!
    Cheers,
    NP
    น้ำผึ้ง

Thread Information