Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: Perama cruise boat sinks off Komodo, Indonesia

Yeah like peiyan mention earlier, forget about the trauma and enjoy the rest of your trip! Look forward to every little things you have...
    Franklin D. Roosevelt - The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,576 Times in 1,846 Posts

An update from Betti.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

hi guys,

I still cannot log into the forum and stay logged in. could you please post this?

Last night we got a refund of the cruise fee - that is all we are ever going to see. 2 million rupees we had paid to them to get us safely to Flores. We also got some of our belongings back that the crew managed to rescue off the cliffs of Komodo island. I only got my daypack, not the big bag. Those who got their big bags back had all their stuff soaked in water and gasoline / diesel fuel. Local laundries are still trying if they can scrub it off at least the most important things. Everyone was really helpful, all the local women from the small laundries came to help and see what they can do, discuss how to scrub and what with.

The scary thing about the bags is that when we went to the harbour around 11 pm, we all immediately checked what we have and what we don't. We found that our luggage had been messed with. Miraculously, things like waterproof cameras (including mine), cash and ipods in dry bags, valuable or valuable-looking jewellery was gone. For many of us. Not random stuff. Bags were then rezipped, like dry bag zipped back, put back in the plastic bag, then back in the big backpack, whole backpack zipped shut. Cannot be coincidence for all of us. Personally, we are all grateful to be alive and to have our passports and money, or if not, a good insurance policy that flies people back and replaces everything immediately. However, this was a big shock for all of us. A German man got so upset he took his wet bag stinking of gasoline and flew back to Bali on the first available flight in the morning. The rest of us stayed. For me, it is not the loss of the camera, just knowing that someone out there that I trusted with my life did something like this after safely swimming ashore. It was a huge blow emotionally. Most of us didn't slep much, we only slept when we dropped into bed out of exhaustion about 24 hours after the accident. There was a huge thunderstorm and heavy rain all night.

We spent all morning at the police station making statement about what happened and the items lost or destroyed. The police declined to put it on paper that we believe our stuff had been pilfered by the crew or boat members after being rescued. They also refused to put on paper the estimated value of stuff lost. In the meantime, the two guides stayed with us, on of them an 18 year old trainee guide, and tried to help us, listen to us, translate for us. The manager of the local Perama branch did not show up.

We are amazed at the helpfulness of some local people. We have been given clothes, toiletries, free rides by random strangers, they have listened, given advice, helped us find laundry, clothes, certain items we need, offered to help translate. Perama did not lift a finger. The manager from Bali emailed that "we would like some empathy from you in this difficult time", denied any responsibility, denied putting us on a flight out, or even a bus, denied helping us with immediate expenses. They covered accommodation and food for 2 days and nights. Most of us were still wearing the torn oil soaked salty clothes we were pulled out of the water in when we went to report to the police. Perama did not even try to get us a clean piece of clothing. When we went to try to sort out laundry, the local manager gave us the "get the shit out of here you stinky little beggar" look. I understand his hands are tied and he gets orders from Bali but he showed no compassion and offered no practical help whatsoever beyond driving us to the police station. We were left stranded and shipwrecked emotionally, for a second time. The guides did their best helping us, they are both from Flores. The boat crew are from Lombok and they are still here.

We all chose this company because they have been in the business for 20 years, they are the biggest and most reputable company east of Bali and on Bali, and they kept getting very good reviews everywhere online. We thought we were going to be safe. Their behaviour is not only unprofessional, but also lacks any compassion and empathy. Most people now have resigned to covering our own costs out of here and then doing everything to spread the news about what happened to let people know what the most reputable company around here did to its passengers.

I am still in a state of shock and probably staying another day and night, big problem is that it is very difficult to replace basic items because it is a little village basically. Some are continuing with travel plans, many are flying home as soon as possible. I may buy a new camera in Bali and go to all those places again to take pics again. Not sure I will have enough money at the moment. I am scheduled to fly home on April 16.
    I wish I could express more clearly how bad this is, how bad it feels, how badly we feel about the accident as well as the company.

I'm fine just in real shock at random times, breaking down and crying. We all still feel that we are on a boat, rocking and moving. I could not sleep when the rain got so heavy, and the lightning always reminds me of the lightning we saw from the island, the boat flipping and breaking up.

thanks guys for helping me post this.

3. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Marie For This Useful Post:

billyboy (30-03-11), Jasonkoh82 (29-03-11), Khun Don (31-03-11), Susana (15-04-11), yy (29-03-11)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,528 Times in 464 Posts

Hi, Betti has asked if i would post this for her, it is an e-mail she managed to send.

hi Billy, could you please post this if you have time.

could one of the mods please add the key words Perama boat Komodo to the first post of the thread? thanks.
    I am flying back to Bali tomorrow morning. if you hear of a Transnusa flight from Labuanbajo to Denpasar crashing, I was on it :-D most of us will get together there and try to discuss what to do. we will still try to make the company pay us some compensation. they have been absolutely horrible. we got donations online, we got food, drink, money, soap, clothes from strangers in town, all the company did was provide food and accommodation, which they haven't even paid for yet. Perama is already getting another group of people together to do a tour next week, they are sending another boat from Lombok. the crew is currently out there on the reef trying to clean up the remaining bits of our boat. our guide said they reported broken life jackets earlier and nothing was ever done about it. we are determined to make as much noise as possible about this online. one of us is quite influential and I really hope she can rally her contacts. I am still feeling shocked, furious, and upset at the same time.
    I would really hate to be in Thailand for songkran, so I hope that I will feel strong enough to replace my stuff and continue the holiday, maybe buy a camera and take pictures again. my bag was never found (one of only two to actually go missing), but even the people who got their stuff back, the local ladies only use cold water for laundry and diesel oil just won't come off bags. some clothes could be saved by some people, but most people had to throw away not only their cameras and stuff (what was not stolen in the first place), but also their bags and many of their clothes. some insurance companies are refusing to cover the loss, saying that the transport company should cover it all. of course Perama say we need to rely on our own insurance. we are supporting each other and form a great group.

Billy.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to billyboy For This Useful Post:

yy (30-03-11)

I wish it's Thailand, but don't you too? ;)
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by billyboy View Post
    I am flying back to Bali tomorrow morning. if you hear of a Transnusa flight from Labuanbajo to Denpasar crashing, I was on it :-D
    Touch wood.

Anyway, it seems there is some truth to the saying that only through adversity do we know one's heart. That donations can come in so readily from strangers while the company responsible for the mishap is not doing as much as it should.
    Sleep, little one, close your eyes, mother will sing you a lullaby... Sleep in a jewel cradle, sleep, mother will rock you.
    If you don't sleep the midges will go for your eyes and pollen will fall on the cradle....Sleep, close your eyes...
    - Isaan folksong, from "The Price of a Life" (Onkom, 1997)

Thanks

I'm safely back in Kuta Bali, though the worst flight ever of my life, massive headache. I haven't slept for 4 nights, can't even sleep now. hate the place with a vengeance, truly horrible, but still hoping good chance to replace lost stuff. not sure I ever want to bother with a camera ever again, in the last year, I have lost three, adding up to six weeks salary in total. maybe I am just not meant to take photos. it is a major inconvenience to carry around a camera all the time and make sure it stays safe and dry. I managed to take the memory card out of the soaked camera but have lost in somewhere since. the underwater camera was stolen by the rescue crew, or a wave unzipped my big bag, then the small one, washed the camera away, then zipped back the small bag and then the big one.

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Betti For This Useful Post:

billyboy (01-04-11), Jasonkoh82 (31-03-11), Khun Don (31-03-11), yy (01-04-11)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,230 Times in 3,373 Posts

Most mobile phones have adequate cameras now-if you cant run to an i-phone , I have recently seen some photos in a newspaper from a Nokia that are excellent. Take care and hope the rest of your holiday goes well.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Khun Don For This Useful Post:

Jasonkoh82 (31-03-11)

Thanks

All it matters that you are back in 1 piece, Betti!
    Franklin D. Roosevelt - The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Jasonkoh82 For This Useful Post:

billyboy (01-04-11)

Thanks

thanks - I've never seen a photo from a camera that looks any good, I wouldn't bother with something like that.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,230 Times in 3,373 Posts

Found those photos

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...martphone.html

Sorry i have been so late in responding, by the way-have just seen the thread-shocked-but glad you are ok-hope you can get back to Thailand OK and hope your stolen camera brings its new owner nothing but grief!

Thanks

btw doesn anyone know when Mikeheart is ciming over to Thailand? I know he'll be in Chiang Mai for songkran.

Thread Information