PHP Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(433) : eval()'d code on line 110
2011 Daily Cost For SEA Travel?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I wish it's Thailand, but don't you too? ;)
    Thanks

2011 Daily Cost For SEA Travel?

Hi all,

I know there are Trip Advisor and Thorn Tree and all, but just thinking that since I am more regular here than to the other travel forums, I am wondering if anyone here has been to Cambodia, Vietnam and Laos this year. Am hoping to check with you folks the latest approximate costs of living in each of these countries i.e. sleeping places, transport, food and entrance fees etc. I am looking more into the lower middle to middle range of costs. Actually what I have in mind is more towards the backpackers' cost e.g. dorms or basic but safe guesthouses with private rooms, but I think I want to give myself a higher ceiling in case I run out of money and I hate to dig into my saving account for next year's cost of living (am on a living away from home student budget now).

In Feb 2010, I was in Vientiane, which was supposedly slightly more expensive, together with Luang Prabang, than the more remote Laotian areas. My daily cost, excluding accommodations (it was my first solo trip as a female so I err on the side of caution - an unnecessary caution cos VN turned out to be just so safe then - and stayed at the higher end) was THB500 and below. The THB500 was including vegetarian buffets, entrance fees and tuktuks (which are more expensive than in BKK, I feel), but no tour guides hired (I definitely could spend less than TB500 daily if I were to be more stringent). In fact, if I were to stay in a reputable guesthouse in VN with my own private room with aircon, I figure my total daily costs in 2010 would have been around THB1000 per day, cos I paid in mostly THB plus a bit of Kips (a bit of creature comfort but nothing fanciful).

I feel it will be nice to know the latest costs now, especially as Laos seems to have advanced quite a bit in the past year, with fast food outlets and all since I came back shortly after! I assume Vietnam will be the most costly among all, cos it is the most developed. Not sure at all about Cambodia, though I heard it gets pretty costly in Siem Rep.

I am pondering Myanmar too, but has just posted the query to Billy in his Myanmar thread, since he has just come back days ago from there Thanks in advance, people.
    Last edited by yy; 10-04-11 at 07:59 PM.
    Sleep, little one, close your eyes, mother will sing you a lullaby... Sleep in a jewel cradle, sleep, mother will rock you.
    If you don't sleep the midges will go for your eyes and pollen will fall on the cradle....Sleep, close your eyes...
    - Isaan folksong, from "The Price of a Life" (Onkom, 1997)

Thanks

Re: 2011 Daily Cost For SEA Travel?

I was browsing the Thorn Tree forum again today and came across something similar and very recent (Jan this year) posted by someone else on the Cambodia thread. Seems like AUD$40/day in Cambodia can get one a basic but decent room with aircon, transport, local food and sightseeing. Lower it into the dorm category and there wil be some spare cash for small buys...
    Sleep, little one, close your eyes, mother will sing you a lullaby... Sleep in a jewel cradle, sleep, mother will rock you.
    If you don't sleep the midges will go for your eyes and pollen will fall on the cradle....Sleep, close your eyes...

Thanks

It would be a preferred choice to have another person to squeeze in and it would bring the cost down even further...
    Franklin D. Roosevelt - The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little.

Thanks

Haha I wish too, cos travelling in SEA can really bring costs down lots especially when cars and chauffeurs are hired. However, when it comes to private room sharing, no females are available so far as many of them are just uninterested in SEA travel (one of my cousins said she will love to do a month(s)-long thing if she did not change her job by the end of this year). Sure, I have one guy friend who share the same interest (you haha ) and this is nice to know, but I am just not comfortable with sharing a room with just a lone guy i.e. just me and a guy, whoever he is. Staying in a mixed dorm is different cos there are a mixture of other shes and hes. So dorms are still the best bet so far, in terms of costs and all.

Thanks

Wow I am honoured to be the only guy friend whom share with the same interest. What if the room were share with 3 person? Would it be comfortable with u? It just tally nicely..your cousin, you and me lol..
    Franklin D. Roosevelt - The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little.

Thanks

Well, as mentioned, I won't mind sharing a mixed gender room.

Thanks

Okey do you have any luck on finding a dorm in SEA?

Thanks

http://www.hostelbookers.com/index.c...159&intImage=5

Look this pic no 5. This area certainly reminds me of the days when I in NS haha. The locations seems attractive too. 10 minutes to Siam, MBK famous shopping centre, new Siam Paragon shopping mall, Central world and Discovery center. 20 minutes to JJ weekend market. The Emporium shopping arcade is just at the next station, 7 minutes to Suanlum night bazaar, 15 minutes to Hoe Lumpong Bangkok railway station, 25 minutes to Chaopraya River and many other attractions!

http://www.hostelbookers.com/hostels.../bangkok/9159/

Here is another one at Vientiane. The Guesthouse location looks good as it located near meekong river, in front of a big temple "Vat Phiavat. But the room doesn't seems inviting to me?

http://www.viengthong-gh.laopdr.com/
    Last edited by Jasonkoh82; 11-04-11 at 06:33 PM. Reason: Add more info

Thanks

Yup, I have checked out the webbie before. I also find the one near Hua Lamphong nice, cos it is near to both Wat Hualamphong and train station.

Thanks

Wouldn't you like to try on the next time? Since its near to both Wat Hualamphong and train station..which guesthouse name is it? Is it this one? The reviews are pretty high..

http://www.hostelbookers.com/hotels/...bangkok/56445/

Thread Information