PHP Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(433) : eval()'d code on line 110
Why would you want to travel to Isaan?
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks

Why would you want to travel to Isaan?

Maybe I am playing devil's avocado here, but honestly, why would you want to spend your holidays in Isaan?

• There are no beaches, no sea to swim in
    • There are no bars and clubs for some entertainment
    • There are no decent restaurants with good western style food

So unless you have relatives in Isaan or your partner is from that area why would you want to go there as a tourist?

I am really curious if anybody comes up with some good reasons to make me want to go there.

TomUK

Thanks

Re: Why would you want to travel to Isaan?

I think that many go there to see "The real" Thailand......or as part of an unplanned tour to take in the rural areas of Thailand, Laos, Cambodia, Vietnam etc I have run across many "backpacker" types of all ages doing just such tours. For me, I do have a wife that comes form Isaan, so I go to see the usual family and friends and get the opportunity to wander the countryside. I like the people and the variety of scenery and countryside.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kfchugo For This Useful Post:

KooNKHaR (02-05-11), yy (01-05-11)

I wish it's Thailand, but don't you too? ;)
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kfchugo View Post
    I think that many go there to see "The real" Thailand .
    I agree with this one, and will like to add, to also see the Thailand as it was fifty years ago, before this this way of life is completely gone sooner or later.

And secondly, the slower, more relaxed pace of life.

Answering your points above, I have never been much of a beach person - beach resorts are always never reasons for me to go to a place. And give me simple Thai streetfare anytime over Western food. Bars and clubs? Quit those ten years ago; they just got too boring for me or should I say, I got too old and/or jaded for them!
    Sleep, little one, close your eyes, mother will sing you a lullaby... Sleep in a jewel cradle, sleep, mother will rock you.
    If you don't sleep the midges will go for your eyes and pollen will fall on the cradle....Sleep, close your eyes...
    - Isaan folksong, from "The Price of a Life" (Onkom, 1997)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,018 Times in 1,175 Posts

If I wanted beaches, bars, and western food, I wouldn't be in Thailand!

Thanks

Im not to sure on this one, ive been Udon thani, korat,Ayutthaya, and krabie town they all have the night life that all tourist areas have, just mostly thai's with a sprinkle of falang.

now if your talking rural villages not having much more than a small shop this is the same in any small village anywhere in the world,then you move up to a small town you start getting the pubs and clubs and nightlife entertainment.

Thailand's no different to anywhere else in the world,give it a go you wont regret it.

Thanks

Well if your an Australian you certainly don't go to Thailand just for the beaches and resorts, simply because Australia has even better beaches and many good quality resorts. So seeing the real Thai culture from a time gone bye in Isaan, is an experience we can't get at home.

I wish it's Thailand, but don't you too? ;)
    Thanks

Sorry, probably sidetracking a bit; there is something that I find so mysteriously seductive about Thailand and its entire vibes that although there are so many places which I really want to spend my time and money to visit, I always find myself going back to Thailand, to slowly explore more and more about it! Quality rather than quantity (of countries), maybe? Even my relatives have commented on why I keep going to Thailand when there are so many other places in the world! I even have an ex colleague who said fervently to me that she would never want to revisit the same country she has ever been to!
    Last edited by yy; 01-05-11 at 06:13 PM. Reason: spelling
    Sleep, little one, close your eyes, mother will sing you a lullaby... Sleep in a jewel cradle, sleep, mother will rock you.
    If you don't sleep the midges will go for your eyes and pollen will fall on the cradle....Sleep, close your eyes...
    - Isaan folksong, from "The Price of a Life" (Onkom, 1997)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,211 Times in 1,966 Posts

I have long been curious about Thai village life, and life in small towns in Thailand.

What is it like to live in a village? Where do people get their water? How do they sleep? I'm quite sure that daily life is different than Bangkok so I'd like to see a different side.

I have purchased many pieces of silk fabric as well as other hand woven fabrics without knowing where they came from or having any information about traditional designs. I would love to see silk weaving in it's usual setting and learn whatever I could. In other words, I have enjoyed the fruits of someone else's labor, so it is only right that I have enough respect to learn about the craft and experience it as closely as I can.

Just some examples.
    Last edited by Susana; 01-05-11 at 08:08 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TomUK View Post
    • There are no beaches, no sea to swim in
    • There are no bars and clubs for some entertainment
    • There are no decent restaurants with good western style food
    I found all that in Isaan, but that wasn't my the reason to go to there. It was more the opposit: Happy, not to be with many farangs at the beach but to chat with some local Thais; happy, not to go to always the same pubs with only farangs, but be invited from some locals for a drink; happy to have some authentic thai food, and not that what you get in many tourist spots.

Almost always I spend a couple of days in the common tourist spots, but when I see all the rude farangs, the unfriendly thais and the rip-off-prices over there, I am quite happy to leave to the before so named "real Thailand".

Cheers,
    Taunusianer

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Taunusianer For This Useful Post:

visionchaser45 (02-05-11)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,442 Times in 638 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Taunusianer View Post
    I found all that in Isaan, but that wasn't my the reason to go to there. It was more the opposit: Happy, not to be with many farangs at the beach
    Just wondering which sea you found? My experience of the "beach" is that it is only available in the hot season when the rivers are running almost dry

Thread Information