PHP Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(433) : eval()'d code on line 110
Ur fav Thai book written in English?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I wish it's Thailand, but don't you too? ;)
    Thanks

Ur fav Thai book written in English?

Hi, what's ur fav Thai book written in English?

I haven't read many, but my fav ones are:

1) Little Angels - by Peter Robinson
    * About the lives of the rural poor who often have to send their children off to the local Wats to become nens or norvice monks because the families are unable to afford basic food and education for them. Based on the true accounts of the little monks he met when he was still an ordained Phra Farang.

2) In Grandma's House - by Peter Robinson and his ex SET beneficiary
    * An autobiological account about the fast-disappearing way of life in rural Thailand, told by the ex beneficiary through his recollections of his childhood and early adolescence with his maternal grandmother who taught him many of the folklores, folk remedy and supernatural tales of yore. Good nostalgic read.

3) Blundering Around In Isaan - can't remember the author but was supposed to be as famous (or almost) as Thai Fever
    * A funny account by a sex tourist who accidentally made his way into then exotic Isaan after becoming almost broke upon an accident in Pattaya but with months of holiday left in Thailand, by following his favourite Thai working gal back to her hometown.

4) The Price of a Life - written by a female Thai author of family name Onkom, translated into English by someone else.
    * Got this book at Wat Phra Keow for about THB200 or less; it's about the life of two slum-dwelling boys in the seemingly 1990s when Thailand was about to put into place a new rule which would prevent people from selling flowers and all to the passing vehicles. A heartwarming take on being poor but rich at heart, against the backdrop of BKK's urban poor, and it incorporated Thai Buddhism's philosophy about karmic retributions. Has a happy-sad ending.
    Last edited by yy; 12-05-11 at 05:21 PM.
    Sleep, little one, close your eyes, mother will sing you a lullaby... Sleep in a jewel cradle, sleep, mother will rock you.
    If you don't sleep the midges will go for your eyes and pollen will fall on the cradle....Sleep, close your eyes...
    - Isaan folksong, from "The Price of a Life" (Onkom, 1997)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to yy For This Useful Post:

Susana (12-05-11)

Thanks

Re: Ur fav Thai book written in English?

I've never been a book worm.

Thanks

Here are some very good Award-winning Thai Novels:

1) The Happiness of Kati
    http://www.amazon.com/Happiness-Kati...5219383&sr=1-1

The Author Jane Vejjajiva is the sister of Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva.

Also available as a Movie:
    http://www.ethaicd.com/show.php?pid=45855

2) Four Reigns
    http://www.amazon.com/Four-Reigns-Ku...5223882&sr=1-1

3) A Child of the Northeast
    http://www.dco.co.th/product_info.php?products_id=599

4) Letters from Thailand
    http://www.amazon.com/Letters-Thaila...ref=pd_sim_b_1
    My interesting blog about Thailand at Thailand Blog ---> click here

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to djaidee For This Useful Post:

Susana (13-05-11), yy (13-05-11)

Thanks

I had the DVD for The Happiness of Kati, and can imagine that it has to be a much better read than the movie because it looks like it has a very good plot, with great potential for very heartstring-pulling potrayal of human emotions and the depth of familial bonds beyond life and conventional views of shoulds and should nots. However, I do not quite enjoy the movie which I feel is probably a much diluted version of the book (which the movie touted as an award winning book) as the organization of the storyline and characters do not quite pull off the impact I am looking forward to, just as though I had just been to a famous eatery I had expected will be very good, but after the meal, feels unsatisfied that the taste had not lived up to its name!

I had another book which I really liked, but which I forgot to add earlier. It's Sing To The Dawn by Minfong Ho, about the educational rights of girls in rural, parchiarcal Thailand.
    Last edited by yy; 13-05-11 at 10:46 AM.
    Sleep, little one, close your eyes, mother will sing you a lullaby... Sleep in a jewel cradle, sleep, mother will rock you.
    If you don't sleep the midges will go for your eyes and pollen will fall on the cradle....Sleep, close your eyes...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by djaidee View Post
    Here are some very good Award-winning Thai Novels:

1) The Happiness of Kati
    http://www.amazon.com/Happiness-Kati...5219383&sr=1-1

The Author Jane Vejjajiva is the sister of Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva.

Also available as a Movie:
    http://www.ethaicd.com/show.php?pid=45855

2) Four Reigns
    http://www.amazon.com/Four-Reigns-Ku...5223882&sr=1-1

3) A Child of the Northeast
    http://www.dco.co.th/product_info.php?products_id=599

4) Letters from Thailand
    http://www.amazon.com/Letters-Thaila...ref=pd_sim_b_1
    I clicked on the links for the other books this morning and their reviews sure look very interesting, especially for A Child of Northeast and Letters From Thailand! I don't know if I remember wrongly, but a diplomatic book titled From Yellow River To Chao Praya seemed to have stated about Letters From Thailand under its chapter on the important Thai Chinese Literature. From Yellow River To Chao Praya was supposed to a documentary book about the history, lifestyle and culture of the Chinese in Thailand and it often makes reference to an age-old good relationship between Thailand and China

Thanks
    Thanked 3,211 Times in 1,966 Posts

While looking thru books in a thrift shop a few years ago I found "The Treasured One The Story of Rudivoravan Princess of Siam" as told by her to Ruth Adams Knight

Published by E. E. Dutton & Company,Inc., New York 1957
    Library of congress catalog card # 57-8999

Born in 1911, the youngest daughter of H.R.H. Prince Naratip Prabhanbongse, Rudi's life eventually led her to a much different set of circumstances than the one most typical for her class. I most enjoyed her description of life in Siam during that time period of her childhood.

I'm quite sure the book is out of print, but you can download the full text at
    http://www.archive.org/stream/treasu...03mbp_djvu.txt

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Susana For This Useful Post:

Nu (13-05-11), yy (13-05-11)

Thanks

Awesome, a full text too!

Thanks
    Thanked 3,211 Times in 1,966 Posts

I've made no secret of the fact that I like real books.
    However, it's good to know that when a book is out of print there are people who care enough to archive it.

Incidentally, www.archive.org archives not only books, but also music & movies. Check it out!

Please excuse the interruption of the proper flow of this thread. This just seems an appropriate time and place to mention this web site.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Susana For This Useful Post:

yy (13-05-11)

Thanks

I think it's fabulous that you mentioned it here!

Thanks

I liked "The Judgement" ('ӾԾҡ') by Thai writer Chart Korpjitti. it's also a movie
    (Thai title: ѡ), a bit dark but good insight into a hidden side of village life

Synopsis: Fak leaves the monkhood to care for his old father. When he returns home, he finds his father has married a much younger woman. She is beautiful but also mentally unbalanced. Then the father dies, leaving Fak to care for his insane stepmother. Soon Fak's neighbors in this remote village are gossiping about him. This rejection by the villagers sends Fak into a spiral of despair and it shows how a conformist streak in society can reduce a man to decadence.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Norb For This Useful Post:

yy (14-05-11)

Thread Information