PHP Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(433) : eval()'d code on line 110
Thai person traveling to Singapore
    Thanks

so happy! Thai person traveling to Singapore

Is a visa required for a Thai person traveling to Singapore on holiday? My stepdaughter is taking a short trip to visit a friend and she was told she doesn't need a visa prior to traveling there. People say a lot of things, most of which is of questionable veracity. Anybody have first-hand experience traveling as a Thai to Singapore?
    Life is learning. If you stop learning, you might as well be dead.

Thanks

Re: Thai person traveling to Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by visionchaser45 View Post
    Is a visa required for a Thai person traveling to Singapore on holiday? My stepdaughter is taking a short trip to visit a friend and she was told she doesn't need a visa prior to traveling there. People say a lot of things, most of which is of questionable veracity. Anybody have first-hand experience traveling as a Thai to Singapore?
    Hope the below mail answers your question. You will hear stories like how the custom officers were rude to some of the Thai people like asking to check how much money they have in their wallet, and how some of them are "banned" and "refused entry" for no reasons but there are always valid reasons for the Singapore customs to do what they did since Singapore is a lawful country. People who get into trouble are people who:
    1) has only 1 way ticket to Singapore
    2) not enough cash (or even credit card) with them like having only 500THB in wallet
    3) not able to tell the custom officer where they will be staying
    4) single travelling female who dress scandaily
    5) had bad records like previously working illegally in Singapore

Usually, if the Thai person has a valid return ticket, accomodation, and enough fund for the stay, the custom officer will not be difficult to them.

====================
    Dear XXX

Thank you for your email on XX XXX XXXX.

2 We are pleased to inform that visitors holding Thailand international passports are exempted from visa requirement to enter Singapore. Visitors must satisfy the following basic entry requirements before they can be considered for entry into Singapore:
    A passport with at least 6 months validity
    Valid Singapore visa, if applicable
    Sufficient funds to last for the intended period of stay in Singapore
    Confirmed onward/return tickets (where applicable)
    Entry facilities to their onward destinations, e.g. visas.
    Completed Disembarkation/Embarkation Card
    Yellow Fever Vaccination Certificate, if applicable

3 To avoid any inconvenience, please ensure that your girlfriend fulfills the above entry requirements. We regret that we are unable to give prior confirmation on the granting of entry and the period of stay to be given to a visitor as the issue of Visit Pass to visitors is determined by the Immigration & Checkpoints Authority (ICA) officers only at the point of entry.

Yours Sincerely,

Wee Yew Boon
    Senior Customer Relations Executive
    for COMMISSIONER
    IMMIGRATION & CHECKPOINTS AUTHORITY
    ICA Feedback/504745
    =======================================
    Paknam Web Network:​ Thai Travel News and Online Guidebooks

Bangkok Daytrips: Weekend drives and daytrips around Bangkok
    Thailand Guidebook: A free online guide to all 76 provinces in Thailand
    Thailand Blogs: Daily articles and photos about Thai travel, culture, food, religion and much more.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,588 Times in 1,854 Posts

I am not Thai, but here is the announcement posted in the Internet about the matter:

Citizens of the following nations do not need visa:
    » United States of America, Australia, Belgium, Denmark, Germany, Finland, France, Norway, South Korea, Spain, Sweden, Italy, Iceland, Luxemburg, Japan, Republic of Ireland
    » Countries that are members of the British Commonwealth (except India)
    » Philippines (diplomatic, special or official passport holders)
    » Liechtenstein, Monaco, Netherlands, San Marino, Switzerland, Thailand (diplomatic or service passport holders)
    » India (diplomatic or official passport holders)

I hope a Thai national can confirm this based on first hand experience.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Marie View Post
    I hope a Thai national can confirm this based on first hand experience.
    I am not Thai but I can confirm Thai do not need visa (except for more than 30 days stay) because I have been travelling with Thai to and fro Singapore. Most recent was 2 weeks ago.
    Paknam Web Network:​ Thai Travel News and Online Guidebooks

Bangkok Daytrips: Weekend drives and daytrips around Bangkok
    Thailand Guidebook: A free online guide to all 76 provinces in Thailand
    Thailand Blogs: Daily articles and photos about Thai travel, culture, food, religion and much more.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,588 Times in 1,854 Posts

BUCKY, apparently we were posting at the same time. It's nice that your info came from a Singaporean authority. In a similar vein, the experience of your Thai friend counts a lot.

On a personal note, as a frequent traveller to Singapore ( often solo), may I share that I am very careful when entering Singapore as I have seen some ladies who were refused entry because of lack of the above requirements, particularly:

2) not enough cash (or even credit card)
    3) not able to tell the custom officer where they will be staying

Luckily I have not encountered such, but at one time when I was asked where I would stay I just quickly rattled off the name of one hotel though I was not sure yet at that moment where exactly my Singapore-based friend had finally managed to book me. The officer did not require any proof.

Of course, being armed with the requirements is the best way to go, but it might also help to "feign" self-confidence (LOL, I do that a lot) to prevent long interviews by immigration officers.
    Last edited by Marie; 16-05-11 at 11:05 AM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Marie For This Useful Post:

BUCKY (16-05-11)

Thanks

Thanks to all who responded. I will pass the informaton on to my stepdaughter and make sure she is able to meet the necessary requirements.
    Life is learning. If you stop learning, you might as well be dead.

Thread Information