PHP Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(433) : eval()'d code on line 110
Damen Sadouk floating market and Tiger temple
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Damen Sadouk floating market and Tiger temple

Hello,
    We wish to see both of these when we go to Bangkok. We can do a day trip with a private tour agency which turns out to be about $100 per person. Is there a place we can stay at and base our trip off of in that area so we can do these on our own by renting a car? Just trying to see what the best way to do this would be.

Also, another place we wish to visit outside Bangkok is Ayutthaya.

Thanks,
    Mallika

Thanks

Re: Damen Sadouk floating market and Tiger temple

I doubt that you can make these in a one-day-trip as the "Floating Market" is a little bit south of Bangkok and the "Tiger Temple" is in the Province "Kanchanaburi" which is north-west of Bangkok.

And besides there are many other nice things to see around in Kanchanaburi, for example "The Bridge over the River Kwai", a very famous Temple with "Floating Nuns" and many more.

For infos about the "Floating Nuns" see this Link:
    http://www.google.co.th/#hl=de&sourc...4083f04b745a38

So best would be that you do a one-day-trip for the "Floating Market" and maybe on the way back visit the "Crocodile Farm" in Samut Prakan which is near by, and another one-day-trip for Kanchanaburi-Province including the "Tiger Temple".

Besides that I think $100 per person is much, best would be you do the trips on your own, rent a Taxi etc. about 1000-2000 Baht for the whole day (Gas must be paid seperately) or look out for little Travel Agencies in Bangkok, you will find them everywhere in Bangkok, almost every Hotel has one in the Hotel Lobby, much cheaper than $100.

Also the Ayutthaya-Trip you can make on your own, would also be a one-day-trip, so best would be to book all these Trips at a little Travel Agency.

I only recommend Ayutthaya, you will never forget this experience.
    My interesting blog about Thailand at Thailand Blog ---> click here

Thanks

Thank you..so sounds like there is no place I can stay at so I can do the floating markets and Tiger Temple(since they are not close to each other?). I will consider renting a taxi. We are interested in seeing this places but as long as the taxi can get us there, I think we should be ok..we don't need guides as such. Would you happen to know what the difference is between using a tour agency to go to the Tiger temple as opposed to just being dropped off there? We have little kids btw, and not sure what the policies are around kids being allowed in the Tiger temple?

Thanks,
    Mallika

Thanks
    Thanked 3,588 Times in 1,854 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mallikamt View Post
    Would you happen to know what the difference is between using a tour agency to go to the Tiger temple as opposed to just being dropped off there?

Mallika
    If you will go to the Tiger Temple through a Tour Agency you will be pciked up from and brought back to your hotel usually by an airconditioned van with a tour guide with you. But then you will be charged on a per head basis. The entrance fee is also usually included in their charges. Kids may pay less, depending on their ages.

If you will be dropped off there, you only pay for the taxi fare, which, chances are, is on a contract basis and not by the meter. The cost is also not per passenger, and you buy your ticket at the entrance of the Temple.

I don't know the current rates now since I was there last more than a year ago. But during that time I think we were charged about 300 Baht for the entrance fee per person. The Tiger Temple visit was a part of the Kanchanaburi Tour which took us to about 7 sites around the vicinity.

I am not also sure if it is easy to get a taxi from the Tiger Temple; I did not see any when I was there.

On the other hand, my visit to Damnuen Saduak was on a different day and comprised of side trips to other 4 tourist destinations.

You may want to consider visiting these 2 places on 2 separate days?
    Last edited by Marie; 25-05-11 at 11:17 AM.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Marie For This Useful Post:

BUCKY (25-05-11)

Thanks

I don't think you can get taxi at these places. Most people go to these places on a package tour or they arranged with the driver in town to send them to and fro the place.

You still can go to Damoen Saduak in the morning and reach Kanchanaburi by around 2pm if you leave by noon. You can stay one night in Kanchanaburi province. There are many places of interests to visit in Kanchanaburi.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	06122008252.jpg 
Views:	225 
Size:	106.7 KB 
ID:	14681   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	06122008331.jpg 
Views:	570 
Size:	79.1 KB 
ID:	14682  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	06122008333.jpg 
Views:	262 
Size:	170.3 KB 
ID:	14683  
    Paknam Web Network:​ Thai Travel News and Online Guidebooks

Bangkok Daytrips: Weekend drives and daytrips around Bangkok
    Thailand Guidebook: A free online guide to all 76 provinces in Thailand
    Thailand Blogs: Daily articles and photos about Thai travel, culture, food, religion and much more.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to BUCKY For This Useful Post:

Marie (25-05-11)

Thanks

BTW I don't think there are "meter" taxi in Kanchanaburi. Only songtiews and private cars. You should be able to find tours to these places easily in the town though.

Thailand Blogs: Daily articles and photos about Thai travel, culture, food, religion and much more.

Thanks

I thought the taxi meant arranging a car with a driver in Bangkok, for the whole day, so no need for flagging down one for the return trip.

There are Damnoen Saduak tours with agencies based in Kanchanaburi, actually it may even be closer (meaning quicker to get there) from Kanchanaburi town than from Bangkok downtown (with all the traffic).
    I think I would go to Kanchanaburi for the day, see the railway, the cemetery, the atmosphere, the temples, the tigers (ok... personally, I would avoid the tigers, but that wasn't the question now), stay the night, as it is a very nice place to stay, and then arrange a tour or a car and a driver so that after the early morning trip to Damnoen Saduak you get back to Bangkok (or other sights nearby like the Rose garden or Samphran elephant ground). I think the crocodile farm in Samut Prakan is not even remotely nearby, but with private transport it should be about an hour, because the southern section of the ring road means not having to cross Bangkok.

Thanks

Thanks so much everybody for your useful answers.

If I do the K'buri area for a day and stay there that night, how do I go about paying the driver that we hire for the day from Bangkok? Would drivers not expect to come back to Bangkok?

I'd like to know how hiring a taxi and driver for the day works in general. Since we need an early start for these trips, I'd like to arrange something the previous night if possible.

How much approximately would I need to pay for a driver and taxi for the day? Do we need to pay for their meals? Are tips expected? What are time limits?

Thanks!
    -Mallika

Thanks

If I do the K'buri area for a day and stay there that night, how do I go about paying the driver that we hire for the day from Bangkok? Would drivers not expect to come back to Bangkok?
    If you decided to stay one night at Kanchanaburi, you don't really have to hire a taxi to go there from Bangkok. You can take a bus there at "Sai Tai Mai Bus Terminal". I'm not really sure the english name for this terminal since I'd not taken the bus for many years already. Maybe some others can help you out. The journey takes around 2 hour and cost around 100THB per person. They have regular departures like every 1 hour or so. But if you insist on taking a meter taxi from Bangkok, you can just flag down any taxi (or even at the airport) to negotiate a price. I believe the price for 1 way to Kanchanaburi should be around 1,500- 2,000 THB? Its just for 1 way and they drop you off at Kanchanaburi and go back to Bangkok. But you can probably convince him to be your driver for the rest of the day for additional sum of money.

I'd like to know how hiring a taxi and driver for the day works in general. Since we need an early start for these trips, I'd like to arrange something the previous night if possible.
    If you decided to just take the bus to Kanchanaburi, you should be able to find short tours there in the town. There are many small tour agencies in the main town where you can book short trips around Kanchanaburi including the tiger temple and waterfalls. I suppose you can even find the tours online easily where you can do your advance booking. Most people will just book the tours at the hotel where they will be staying. These day tours usually cost around 1k - 2k per person which will consist of a few venues and usually include lunch.

How much approximately would I need to pay for a driver and taxi for the day? Do we need to pay for their meals? Are tips expected? What are time limits?
    Most taxi will have a fixed price for taking you to the other provinces. They usually hang the price table at the back of the front car seats for their passengers' reference. The price stated is for 1 way only but you can negotiate with the driver on the price. I have a relative who paid 2,000THB for a taxi to bring them to and fro Damoen Saduak from Bangkok. That was few years ago. About 2 years ago, I booked a mini bus from 0700 - 2000 HRS for 1,700THB excluding the petrol. We went to a number of destinations which included Damoen Saduak, Don Hoi Lot, Ancient City in Samut Prakan and Lamphuni Night Bazaar. By the end of the day, we gave another 500THB as tips.

In Chiang Mai, you can also find a car with driver for whole day (0800- 1800) to Lamphun at 1,700THB at the airport. So I assume 1,700THB is the average market rate for 1 day car with driver booking. It also depends on your luck and negotiation skill. The drivers don't usually join their customers for lunch but you can invite them to if you want.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to BUCKY For This Useful Post:

Marie (26-05-11)

Thanks

it is Sai Tai Mai or Southern Bus Station in English. it is inconvenient to get to - need a taxi. the train is much slower but at least the train station is in central Bangkok.

Thread Information