PHP Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(433) : eval()'d code on line 110
Weather question~
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Hi, Me and my girlfriend are heading up to Thailand the 13 of june to the 10th of august, just wondering what we should bring, i was told to bring practicle nothing because everything you want you can purchuse, but weather wise will it be hot, cold, im hopeing hot, since im from Canada and i get enough of the cold!

Thanks
    Hey Leah7, I envy you. I'm in Canada and so want to go to Thailand this summer. You can buy many things in Thailand, but it might be inconvenient between the point that you arrive with nothing and the point where you have to battle the traffic and find your way around to get to the shop where you can buy everything. If you plan to go with nothing and buy stuff immediately, you might want to exchange some dollars into Thai baht before you leave Canada, Thomas Cook Exchange centers can get you Thai Bahts, call them several days in advance to make the order. If you arrive on a weekend, likely you won't be able to change your money so conveniently and be forced to take the unfair exchange rates of the hotel, or at the airport. If you plan to do money exchange at the airport, do it inside the terminal before you leave customs. Don't expect everything to be so cheap, if you want good stuff, be prepared to pay, but not as dearly as in Canada. However, food is the best things, in terms of price and taste.

Yes, the weather will be quite hot. Expect some rain. Carry a light jacket which will be useful when you go inside the air-conditioned department stores which are sometimes freezing cold. If you're planning to go to the country, don't forget to look for mosquito repellent. They sell some good natural repellent in Bangkok.

Have a great trip!

Thanks
    Hi Globalwoman,
    I have enjoyed reading your postings here.
    In this particular post, I am curious about your currency exchange recommendations.
    With ATM machines easy to find in Don Muang and offering probably the cheapest 24/7 option almost everywhere in Thailand.
    Why do you suggest going through the far greater expense and inconvenience of ordering baht in your home country?
    I just can't see the advantage, but would like to learn of any that I'm unaware of.

Cheers,Jake

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (Leah7 @ May 02 2004,20:57)]but weather wise will it be hot, cold, im hopeing hot, since im from Canada and i get enough of the cold!
    Yes, it will be hot and wet. Though it won't rain all day. Unless there is a storm front passing through you will only notice the rain first thing in the morning and late in the afternoon. When it does rain, it doesn't rain for long. Don't bring a thick coat for the rain as you will get more wet from sweat than the rain! Thin rain coats can be bought locally or buy an umbrella.

This site gives weather averages for our local city near Bangkok:

http://www.paknam.com/weather.html

It is true you can buy many things cheaper locally (if you don't buy brand names). But, if you are a big size then you might have some problems.

Thanks
    Quote[/b] ]With ATM machines easy to find in Don Muang and offering probably the cheapest 24/7 option almost everywhere in Thailand.
    Why do you suggest going through the far greater expense and inconvenience of ordering baht in your home country?
    Hi, Jake, I was assuming that Leah7 is Canadian and therefore won't have any thai currency on him. I thought it would just be convenient to have some Thai cash when he arrives at the airport. Since Leah7 said he was coming from Canada, at least where I live, Toronto, it's quite easy to get Thai bahts. The advice was specifically for Leah7. Sorry about being so specific and personal about this. Now I realize Leah7 could just as well be coming from some remote town. (Joking, Leah7, )

When I arrive in a foreign country through my travels I usually forget to carry some spare currency of that country and find myself inconvenienced for a while until I can find a place to do my exchange. (Like not being able to pay for the taxi, or a candy, or a coke from the vending machine.) I forgot that most people use credit cards nowadays, and I don't know how convenient it is to get thai bahts from a credit card from an ATM machine. I understand that not all ATM machines takes all kinds of credit cards. And since I've never used my credit cards to give me foreign cash, I don't know how good a rate I would get from the ATM machines. Thanks for raising the point, Jake.

Thanks
    My experience has been focussed on the north east. Clothes there were super cheap. Hand made shits - 5 bucks. I purchased all kinds of locally made products at very good rates.

God I can't wait to retire and move back to Thailand! A couple of more years to go.

Thanks
    I have never been to china

Thanks
    Quote[/b] (MAD MAC @ May 07 2004,20:03)]Hand made shits - 5 bucks.
    That seems a bit pricy.
    There are 10 types of people in the world:
    Those that understand BINARY and those that donít.

Thanks
    5 bucks seems pricey for a hand made Shirt?

You obviously haven't been living in Central Europe. Same product would cost me 75 bucks here.

Thanks
    Oh, a SHIRT. In that case, 5 bucks is very good value. And no, I have never lived in Central Europe. Never plan too. I'll stick to Thailand thanks.
    There are 10 types of people in the world:
    Those that understand BINARY and those that donít.

Thread Information