PHP Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(433) : eval()'d code on line 110
What's r Fav SEA Country After Thailand?

View Poll Results: Your Fav SEA Country After Thailand?

Voters
15. You may not vote on this poll
  • Singapore

1 6.67%
  • Malaysia

1 6.67%
  • Indonesia

5 33.33%
  • Laos

3 20.00%
  • Burma

1 6.67%
  • Cambodia

0 0%
  • Vietnam

4 26.67%
Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast
    I wish it's Thailand, but don't you too? ;)
    Thanks

so happy! What's r Fav SEA Country After Thailand?

We all know so well about our love for this country, Thailand. That's why we are on this forum

But which is the Southeast Asian country you like the most, after Thailand?

Sorry that I leave out Philippines, East Timor and Brunei in the poll cos only up to 7 options are allowed - nothing personal about it!
    Sleep, little one, close your eyes, mother will sing you a lullaby... Sleep in a jewel cradle, sleep, mother will rock you.
    If you don't sleep the midges will go for your eyes and pollen will fall on the cradle....Sleep, close your eyes...
    - Isaan folksong, from "The Price of a Life" (Onkom, 1997)

Thanks

Re: What's r Fav SEA Country After Thailand?

It's always interesting to know which SEA country is our favourite after Thailand. For me, I voted for Laos cos in many ways, it is "same same but different" from Thailand. Maybe the place reminded me alot about the 'lost innocence' of Thailand. It is the only one place so far where I have been to, in which total strangers sharing a bus seat for two (there were already two of us ladies) would see one of them (the local one, obviously... NOT me haha) squeezing the seat a bit more so that another lady (seemingly a stranger) standing could get a bit of the seat too. Small things like these are heart-warming and after a while, one fails to take notice of the dilapidated state of the bus, such that the bus seats have numerous holes in them or that the bus door can never seem to close, even when the vehicle is moving on the road.

And certainly, the monks who would very smilingly explain to me that the main hall in their Wat was closed cos it was lunch hours but would I want to see it if they open the door for me to enter. Also too, the tuktuk driver who would rather explain the "very short only" brisk walking distance of 15mins than to solicit for my business, when I stopped to ask for directions to a talat.

How bout you who voted? What's the reasons behind your choice? And about those who did not vote, is it because Thailand is your one and only love which is unreplaceable? Or?
    Sleep, little one, close your eyes, mother will sing you a lullaby... Sleep in a jewel cradle, sleep, mother will rock you.
    If you don't sleep the midges will go for your eyes and pollen will fall on the cradle....Sleep, close your eyes...

Thanks

difficult one. I picked Indonesia today. maybe yesterday I would have chosen a different one.
    an important point, maybe a country is absolutely fascinating to visit but it would be very challenging and frustrating to live there.
    I haven't been to all of these countries but the ones I have been to (Burma, Laos, Cambodia, Malaysia, Indonesia, Hong Kong) or lived in (Taiwan) are all favourites in one way or another. for example, I enjoyed the "western" aspects of Malaysia, the European feel you get compared to Thailand (important if you haven't even stepped out of the region for half a decade). Burma is the ultimate mindblowing experience. Indonesia for sheer beauty and cultural diversity, and simply for being so different from Thailand but also similar enough. Laos for time travel and one of my defining moments as a traveller. Cambodia as a huge life lesson. all have had a significant impact. ok, I know, "favourite" was your question, but still :-) there is no clear winner for me. not even Thailand is a clear winner. it's just the one I happen to be the most familiar with. we have an intense love-hate relationship.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Betti For This Useful Post:

yy (20-07-11)

Thanks

To each of their own country own uniqueness and their own charming...I believe it is a bit hard to make the hard truths...
    Franklin D. Roosevelt - The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Betti View Post
    difficult one. I picked Indonesia today. maybe yesterday I would have chosen a different one.
    an important point, maybe a country is absolutely fascinating to visit but it would be very challenging and frustrating to live there.
    Betti, I have to agree with you on this. I was pondering over this paradox too when I thought of starting this thread, but because I could not really decide what it was to ask about the fav country (i.e. tour or to live in), I decided just to throw it to the people to respond in any way they like. Yes, thanks for bringing this up.

I have only been to Laos, Malaysia and Indonesia from this list - not all of them too. And have lived in SG for most of my life. I have to admit it's a bit of a struggle choosing between Laos and SG. On one hand, it's patriotism and national pride, coupled with a self-understanding deep down inside of me that no matter how much I find myself complaining about SG, there are so many things which I really like about it, apart from friends and family being there. For example, I will vote for our hawker food 100%, our nation's efficiency in transport and general logistics, plus our very, very safe environment (I always like to boast to overseas friends that we can just walk as lone females in Geylang the red-light district and nothing is going to happen, LOL).

On another hand, Laos remind me so much of what SG (and Thailand) used to be. The SG I never have a chance to experience, but which the elders still talk fondly about. And which, incidentally, resembles that era in SG's history that many of our more popular past TV serials (from the 1980s to present) are based on. And to be fair to Laos, it is unique and beautiful in its own way, which I want to know better before it all vanishes.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,930 Times in 1,180 Posts

Is everybody's favourite SEA country Thailand? I may possibly rate Vietnam above Thailand on my experience.

David
    My new travel blog: https://www.weekender.blog/

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by David_Loves_Ubonwan View Post
    Is everybody's favourite SEA country Thailand? I may possibly rate Vietnam above Thailand on my experience.

David
    I am assuming cos people here mostly have Thai Fever of some sorts! 5555

Thanks

wow you are the first person I can remember saying that Vietnam is possibly number 1. I hear more stories about rampant ripoffs and other mishaps less characteristic of other countries in the region. what was your favourite town or place of interest in Vietnam?

Thanks

Well I put in Indonesia, mainly because I have not been to Cambodia or Vietnam, but I think I would like to go to Vietnam one day.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,930 Times in 1,180 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Betti View Post
    wow you are the first person I can remember saying that Vietnam is possibly number 1. I hear more stories about rampant ripoffs and other mishaps less characteristic of other countries in the region. what was your favourite town or place of interest in Vietnam?
    Nha Trang. After arriving at Saigon airport I went straight to the railway station and eventually got the overnight sleeper to Nha Trang where I spent nearly a month. For the return I got a flight back to Saigon to connect with my international flight. So Nha Trang is all I really experienced.

David
    My new travel blog: https://www.weekender.blog/

Thread Information