Thanks

Anyone Willing To Play Guide For The Day In Bangkok

My friend is currently on an extended stay in Korea but will be visiting Bangkok within the upcoming week or two.
    During her time in Thailand, more than anything, she wishes to visit Wat Bang Phra or another temple so she can receive a temple tattoo.
    I visited Bangkok last year & had a Yant Ha Taew (Five Rows Yant) done myself. She would like one as well.

Is anyone able to meet up with her & whoever she will be traveling with to make sure she gets to a proper place safely & gets the proper design in ink (not invisible oil)?

She's been visiting Buddhist temples here in the United States & feels this would be the climax of her trip & is desperate to get things done properly. Anyone kind enough to spend a very early & long day helping her?

Let me know.
    Thanks!

I wish it's Thailand, but don't you too? ;)
    Thanks

Re: Anyone Willing To Play Guide For The Day In Bangkok

Hi, I am thinking that she does not really need a person to be her local guide for the day. The times when I went there with my then-bf to get his Sak Yant done at Wat Bang Phra, we got a chaffeur to drive us all the way down from BKK - takes about 2hrs or so, depending on traffic. We got the driver from the hotel we were staying at, and it seeemed that Wat Bang Phra is very well-known among the locals so you will not have any trouble letting the information counter know where you are going. Each time, we didn't even have to say Wat Bang Phra - we only said Luang Por Beng's (the then-abbot who had since passed away a few years ago) temple, and they understood. In case she is worried that they may not get it right, say "Wat Bang Phra, tattoo temple, Luang Phor Beng" and they will know. One good thing is that when she gets her driver from the hotel, the driver is guaranteed (at least in all our cases) to be able to communicate well in English, so she can instruct whatever she needs i.e. type of tattoo and the driver can tell that in Thai to the monks. It went very well in our case. However, as expected, the fees for getting a car and driver in your hotel will be slightly more than what you get off the road but then in the latter case, sometimes the taxi drivers off the road cannot really understand spoken English that well and with Sak Yants, it's worth the money to make sure it's done right (and even if you get someone local to go with you, I assume you will need to pay for a driver and car too anyway).

My then-bf got a visible and an oil tattoo on two different occasions. At those times, we observed that there did not seem to be any overt sterilizer, except for dipping the needle into a what seemed like water. We felt a bit uneasy after that, so when we came back to our country, we did some tests and nothing was caught from the process. I also noticed that the seemingly lack of sterilization (or at least, at that particular time, not sure about now) is also an area of concern for some other people too, judging from what I read from blogs here and there about Wat Bang Phra's tattooing. I suggest that she bring along a packet of sterilizing swap and ask the driver to discreetly suggest to the monk to wipe the needle off it after the previous devotee before tending to you. The monks are ok, I don't think they will mind at all. Anyway, it's up to individual - just a little harmless, non-offensive safety precaution in these times of AIDS and all.

Gd luck, all the best.
    Last edited by yy; 01-08-11 at 10:58 AM.
    Sleep, little one, close your eyes, mother will sing you a lullaby... Sleep in a jewel cradle, sleep, mother will rock you.
    If you don't sleep the midges will go for your eyes and pollen will fall on the cradle....Sleep, close your eyes...
    - Isaan folksong, from "The Price of a Life" (Onkom, 1997)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to yy For This Useful Post:

Marie (01-08-11)

Thanks

Thank you so much for the advice! That's basically what I did when I went to Thailand. I had my hotel call a driver & take me there. I think her deeper problem is that she's worried about the safety of being a young woman traveling alone. I will definitely tell her your story. Thanks so much!

Blog Entries
    Thanks

I'm young boy too, do u think she will be safer when going with a guide like me? haha =P

BTW, u can have someone here to write down what she wanted in Thai and printed, then have the hotel staffs help on it. It's going to be safe here if u dont act too silly

Thanks
    Thanked 1,659 Times in 933 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Maelyssa View Post
    I think her deeper problem is that she's worried about the safety of being a young woman traveling alone. I will definitely tell her your story. Thanks so much!
    I understand her concern. It could be scary for a woman to travel alone for the first time. When I first did it, I had cold feet, too, but then I didn't have much choice because it's part of my job. Then I realized it's not really that daunting.

You may want to check out this thread > http://www.thailandqa.com/forum/show...ile-travelling where Betti wrote some general tips on travelling safely in Thailand. In addition, I presented in one post ( post #15) some supplementary advice focused on FEMALES TRAVELLING SOLO. Your friend may pick up a few useful hints from the following:

1) Arrange a transport to meet you from the airport, especially if you are arriving at night or wee hours of the morning. When you book your hotel you may include this request. Many hotels offer this service usually for a fee. You must weigh the extra expenses against the anxiety of a woman arriving alone at off hours.

2) It is better to choose your hotel on the basis of security and location. Of course this entails some amount of research beforehand, like leafing through some guidebooks or studying a map. A round-the-clock security service, closed-circuit TV and sonar alarms are some features which can help you feel safe. As for the location, pick a hotel close to restaurants, transportation lines, shopping areas and areas that interest you.

3) Unfortunately strangers often judge us by the way we dress. The way we look is the first available information about us; clothes are non-verbal communication. Again, there should be a balance between the tradition of a country and what makes us feel comfortable. But for me I'd rather lean on the safe side and dress modestly as that would avert "wrong ideas" that may put my safety in peril.

4) One seasoned traveller has taught me to avoid consuming foods and drinks offered by total strangers. If you must drink, choose canned or bottled liquiids you open yourself. This is not really being paranoid, but you cannot be too cautious when travelling alone.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Marie For This Useful Post:

djaidee (04-08-11)

I wish it's Thailand, but don't you too? ;)
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Maelyssa View Post
    I think her deeper problem is that she's worried about the safety of being a young woman traveling alone.
    If that's the case, then getting a driver from her hotel may be safer than asking for strangers off the forum to accompany her there. Unless what she means is to get that someone to go with her and the chauffeur. Cos if she is alone with the driver and touch wood, something happens to her, then the hotel has the record of who the driver is, who ur friend is, and may have a higher likelihood of missing her presence more quickly. Thus it reduces the chances of her getting attacked etc. That said, nothing is foolproof, as always. Unless the stranger from a forum is someone many of the other members have met in person and can vouch for i.e. he/she is not of dodgy character. Even then, one never knows (and this is the case with hotel drivers too, I know). For example, I have a couchsurfing membership with the free hosting/surfing travel website and a couple of months ago, another fully verified CS member (I don't know him in any way at all and this was the very first time I ever heard from him) spammed me with requests to let him have my mailing address, claiming that he is visiting this part of the country soon and is expecting a parcel from his mum. I did not give it to him and reported him to the site manager. Who knows what's inside the parcel? A fully verified member means someone who has had his/her home address and real name checked via the bank, thus supposedly reducing the chances of CS members meeting with a strange character when staying over at his/her house. Moreover, when I checked out that guy's CS homepage, there had been other travellers who had hosted him or travelled with him and vouched for him before. My point is that, strangers from forums are at most as safe as getting a driver from the hotel.

P.S. My post is in no way implying anything about Spirit!
    Sleep, little one, close your eyes, mother will sing you a lullaby... Sleep in a jewel cradle, sleep, mother will rock you.
    If you don't sleep the midges will go for your eyes and pollen will fall on the cradle....Sleep, close your eyes...
    - Isaan folksong, from "The Price of a Life" (Onkom, 1997)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to yy For This Useful Post:

Spiritvn (04-08-11)

Blog Entries
    Thanks

ty yy, that's what i want to say =P

Thread Information