PHP Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(433) : eval()'d code on line 110
Extra ‘n’ sound on the end of words ending in sara i, sor seua
    Thanks

Extra ‘n’ sound on the end of words ending in sara i, sor seua

Hi

Sorry if this is a basic one, I'm a bit of a beginner. I have been trying to learn thai through the medium of karaoke videos and I have come across a few instances of singers putting an extra "n" sound on the end of words ending in . What’s that about? It is just expression? Or is there some significance that I’m not getting? The same singers don’t seem to do it all the time.

For example in ‘ѹ..¹’ (chan reu terr..tii bpai lii yon bpai) by Loso, you’ve got ‘pitten’ and ‘kitten’ right there in the same line ѹ ͧ Դ Դ

today I even came across a chewitten (in ѧ by λ )

am I missing something ?

cheers

Thanks

Re: Extra ‘n’ sound on the end of words ending in sara i, sor seua

I think the "n" sound you heard is because in a song sometimes you would want to make the sound of some words long to make them sound nice and smooth and to make them fit with the melody. But since some words, like Դ and Դ, have naturally short sounds , the "n" sound, produced from the throat, is added to help lengthen the sound of the words.

In a normal conversation, the "n" sound wouldn't be added to those words.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Nymphaea For This Useful Post:

Marie (09-08-11)

Thanks

On a side note:

The vowel in ¹ is one, compound vowel -> , usually pronounced as ia, so ¹ would be transliterated something like bplian

Thanks

It doesn't actually add another syllable but the singer nasalizes the sound, while the tongue and mouth position etc. remain the same.

Thanks

Re: Extra n sound on the end of words ending in sara i, sor seua

You hafta realize that there's a LOT of creative license taken in pronunciation of Thai in songs.

Some words are drawn out, some are shortened, toning is altered to better 'fit the rhythm of the song", etc.

I've watched ʡ perform both versions of ѹ (¹) that he's got; the slow acoustic one and the faster electric guitar one. I've seen them both in person, standing right in front of him, and also just watched the You Tube videos of them too.

In the electric guitar version I can’t hear any ‘n’ sound in the lyrics although in the acoustic version he does definitely make a nasal "n" sound when he sings, but I think it's just to fit the music better, (almost like a humming sound).

But like I said, there's a LOT more lee-way in how Thai's pronounced in singing than in casual conversation.

I wouldn't be overly concerned about how Thais pronounced in song, although it is a good way to start to read and understand Thai. Songs are written more like "poetry" or "prose" and use a LOT of conceptual or emotive words and phrases typically not said in casual conversation.

Good luck,
    Tod Daniels

Thanks
    Thanked 3,588 Times in 1,854 Posts

Even in language like English, singers employ such technique as altering the sound of a vowel (for example, u instead of o) to negotiate fluidly a high note. I guess the point in question is similar to general vocal artistic licenses.

Thanks

Alright - thanks all

Thread Information