Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

What is Tempura Flour?

Recently I saw an advertisement for Thai Gogi Tempura Flour.
    What exactly is this? Does it contain MSG? What ingredients does it contain?
    Last edited by ravip; 11-08-11 at 10:10 AM. Reason: spelling mistake
    It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err.
    ~ Mohandas Gandhi ~

I wish it's Thailand, but don't you too? ;)
    Thanks

Re: What is Tempura Flour?

Usually it does contain msg. That's where the savoury taste of the fried food mostly comes from, as it is the flour for coating food you intend to deep-fry so that it makes the food item very crispy e.g. the tempura (fried) prawns and tempura (fried) vegetables found in Japanese Bento sets etc. Different tempura brands will have a little difference in their ingredients, usually in terms of the differing spices and flavours used.
    Sleep, little one, close your eyes, mother will sing you a lullaby... Sleep in a jewel cradle, sleep, mother will rock you.
    If you don't sleep the midges will go for your eyes and pollen will fall on the cradle....Sleep, close your eyes...
    - Isaan folksong, from "The Price of a Life" (Onkom, 1997)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to yy For This Useful Post:

ravip (11-08-11)

Thanks

I also managed to find the following useful information from another forum.

Tempura flour is for use in coating vegies( As a batter) before frying them. Very popular in Japan.Made in Thailand ,I suspect by a Japanese company under the Go Gi brand.Thais do use it to coat (batter) meat and fish as well.Its composition is 90% wheat flour, 6% Tapioca starch ( tapioca starch comes Cassava or, in Thai: Mun Sumpalung). Baking powder 3%, Others1% ( salt .MSG -A trace)Pack of 150 gram is B15.Mix with water to make your batter.
    Unquote
    It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err.
    ~ Mohandas Gandhi ~

Thanks

And incidentally, I just came back from the supermarket a min ago and when I was there, I was reminded of your post so I checked out the tempura flours offered there. Sadly there were only two brands available (just the conventional ones, not the Thai version) and one of them even includes egg powder as the ingredient. Hmmm, interesting...

I might buy a packet to make tempura button mushrooms tomorrow since the mushrooms are on promotion currently.
    Sleep, little one, close your eyes, mother will sing you a lullaby... Sleep in a jewel cradle, sleep, mother will rock you.
    If you don't sleep the midges will go for your eyes and pollen will fall on the cradle....Sleep, close your eyes...

6. The Following User Says Thank You to yy For This Useful Post:

ravip (12-08-11)

Thanks

Thank you very much for the information - if you try the "tempura button mushrooms" let us know the result!
    ~ Mohandas Gandhi ~

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ravip View Post
    if you try the "tempura button mushrooms" let us know the result!
    Haha sure

Thanks

Oyster mushroom and jin Zheng ku (golden mushroom) comes best with Tempura Flour...in order to make it crispy, you have to fry 2 times. 1st deep fry and remove the oil. The 2nd fry make it fast one and you are ready to go...
    Last edited by Jasonkoh82; 12-08-11 at 04:36 PM.
    Franklin D. Roosevelt - The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Jasonkoh82 For This Useful Post:

ravip (12-08-11)

Thanks

Last evening's my very first attempt with tempura flour, using button mushrooms and eggplants:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P8120470.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	150.5 KB 
ID:	14992

The appearance is nothing to shout about. But as with most fried food, the end-result is sinfully good

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to yy For This Useful Post:

Jasonkoh82 (14-08-11), ravip (15-08-11), trangam (15-08-11)

Thanks

One way to DIY the tempura flour is to use wheat flour, tapioca flour, salt and oil. Add baking flour and cold water to make more crispy. Just in case the ingredient (such as button mushroom) can't hold the flour, you may like to lump a few ingredients in it so that the tempura can hold the few ingredients together.
    Franklin D. Roosevelt - The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Jasonkoh82 For This Useful Post:

ravip (15-08-11)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by yy View Post
    Last evening's my very first attempt with tempura flour, using button mushrooms and eggplants:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P8120470.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	150.5 KB 
ID:	14992

..., the end-result is sinfully good
    That is the most important thing!!!
    ~ Mohandas Gandhi ~

16. The Following User Says Thank You to ravip For This Useful Post:

yy (15-08-11)

Thread Information