PHP Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(433) : eval()'d code on line 110
Single woman safety!
    Thanks

so happy!

Hi all! I'm a canadian woman (unfortunately I have farang stamped all over my glow-in-the-dark forehead) who will be flying into bkk for the first time at midnight.... I have a few little concerns. What's the best thing to do to book a guesthouse (I'm on a tight budget - but not fond of critters or sleeping on the street)? I've been told to go to Khao san road and just walk around until I find somewhere with space... is this safe for me to do at this time of night (and is it a safe place to stay?)? Anyone know how much a taxi is from the airport? Any other safety advice for me? Thanks!

Thanks
    Hi
    Arriving at midnight.
    Do yourself a favor and book at least your first night in advance via the internet.
    Often it's cheaper and you will spare yourself a lot of stress after
    the long flight.
    I've never taken the taxi fron Don Muang to Khao San Road but will
    quess it to be under 350bt.
    Word of caution...ONLY take the taxi from the booth outside of arrivals...from noone or nowhere else.
    Have a great trip

Thanks
    Jake gives good advice for your first night. Book a hotel room on the internet for the first night and then make a decision during daylight about finding a guesthouse if you still want to move. You can compare prices here:

http://www.thailandguidebook.com/hotels/index.php

You will see there are some hotels very near the airport which do free transfers. These start at $34.

Like Jake said, as you come out of customs, follow the sign for "public taxis". Ignore the people asking if you want a taxi. Just outside the door there is a line of people waiting for the taxis. There is a 50 baht surcharge you have to pay for this. It is not a rip-off as that fee guarantees there will always be taxis waiting.

There is also an airport bus which runs until just after midnight:

http://www.thailandguidebook.com/airportbus/index.html

Thanks
    Thanks for the good advice!

Thanks
    I remember when I first got to my wifes village I went out for a walk at night and my wifes mother wigged out. She was afraid I'd get robbed and killed. Too funny since I had no money on me and I never met a soul who was anything but friendly.

Anyway, I would be careful in Bangkok. Lot of rip off schemes and as a woman you can be pretty vulnerable.

Thanks
    I thought I'd answer the question about Khao Sarn Road being safe at night. There's always movements on Khao Sarn, that road barely sleeps cause people coming there from everywhere all the time. Of course there is less people 5am but there's still people around and I think it's very safe, perhaps more safe there than on other places in Bangkok.

Thread Information