Thanks

Thailand finally gets 3G

Thailand finally gets 3G
    Extracted from channelnewsasia
    By Anasuya Sanyal | Posted: 22August 2011 1427 hrs

BANGKOK: A long wait for widely available 3G in Thailand is finally over, but further complications look likely down the line.

When many countries are rolling out 4G cellular services, smartphone users in Bangkok are just happy to have caught up.

"Compared to other countries, our technology hasn't been fully developed. There are a lot of reasons why," said one Thai national.

"3G arrived really late here. Other countries have had 3G for a long time," said another.

Millions in the Kingdom use 3G optimised devices like iPhones, Blackberries, and iPads, but only a few could take advantage of their full potential.

The National Telecommunications Commission, Thailand's regulatory agency, has never had consistent policies.

And the two huge state-owned operators TOT and CAT Telecom haven't been able to strike deals with all of the private mobile companies who need to license their bandwidth.

Frustrating delays resulted in consumers waiting for 3G.

"If the government permits state enterprises like TOT and CAT Telecom to make deals with cellular services providers to use existing frequencies (for 3G networks), everyone will be able to use it," said Thitichai Attawatchara, Chief Editor, Chief Information Officer World & Business Magazine.

This week one private mobile phone operator simply rolled out the technology and didn't bother with proper licensing.

And CAT Telecom has threatened to sue.

But it was a pleasant surprise for many in Bangkok that 3G has arrived at last.

A new government entity is being set up to handle the issues that still need to be resolved.

- CNA /ls

source
    http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stori...148409/1/.html
    Franklin D. Roosevelt - The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Jasonkoh82 For This Useful Post:

TheSurgeon (22-08-11)

Thanks

Re: Thailand finally gets 3G

The good,the bad and the ugly. I think technology services are great unfortunately follow the money trail when everyone at the top gets what they want then the consumer pays at the end.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to TheSurgeon For This Useful Post:

xfiles20001999 (15-04-12)

Thanks

By waiting Thailand has an affordable mobile system. It's much cheaper for me to call a mobile phone in Thailand from Australia than to call a mobile phone in the same suburb in Australia.
    If you get into technology to quick you pay for that technology, Australians have been ripped off, and now the introduction of the fiber optic network in Australia will mean we will never get cheap telecommunications. I would prefer to pay 10 times less for my communications by just sticking with 3 G speeds for the next 5 years.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to paul_au For This Useful Post:

TheSurgeon (23-08-11), xfiles20001999 (15-04-12)

Thanks

Well said Paul AU. Here in the states the 3 major wireless carries keep their fees and charges all the same so they are the only game in town. You cannot get a smart phone or droid without a data plan which many customers like myself argue they don't want because you can just use free wi-fi everywhere. Now all new customers cannot get unlimited data anymore they have only tiered plans charging you by the GB. So if you are an existing customer you can keep unlimited data but this also traps you into to staying with your current provider and cannot s shop around. For instance unlimited data is US dollars $29.95 per mo. so I myself use 3-4 GB per mo. and that would cost a new customer an additional $80 per mo. on top of the $29.95 on your plan. I think if all executives and management had to start paying for their phones you might see the charges come down. They should really take a long look at the meaning of the words family plan which they so much advertise.

Thanks

Whoa, real?! Here at the Philippines, we are already on 4G. Whoa, but I know that services are cheaper there compared to here.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Can anybody please assist me...........I live in a Village- Non Kho- 10 km from Muang Samsip (Ubon Ratchatani-Thailand) and are having difficulties with my internet connection. I am currently using a CAT CDMA internet 3G mobile modem and the connection seems to have deteriorated since we bought it. We had excellent reception in the beginning (One and a half year ago). I have enquired at several places, but all just want to sell me a new modem with no guarantee that it will work at Non Kho Village. I am thinking of getting a dish installed, but are having no luck in even getting a quotation for such a internet system and I was told that it would be very expensive? Can anybody assist me in getting in touch with a decent Internet provider that can help us get back online?

Thanks

If you have a mobile phone signal, for example one two call, get one of there internet packages, sim net, the top one for 3G is 800bht a month unlimited download, lots of other cheap packages depending on your needs. just stick that sim in your dongle and your away back up and internet connected.
    good luck

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Thanks Ian appreciate this.............I first tried one two call, same as our cellphones, but had very little reception in our house. Then we changed to CAT and had excellent reception until two months ago when the signal went down to 40% and we now have to continuously restart our connection and cannot use Skype etc. I am still adamant to have a dish installed at our house..........if anybody can please give me some guidance regarding this?

Thread Information