PHP Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(433) : eval()'d code on line 110
My Travel Story: Koh Samet by Speedboat
    Thanks

Koh Samet by Speedboat

In May I went to Koh Samet for a day with three Thai friends. When we arrived in Ban Phe we were immediately greeted by a guy on a motorbike who guided us to the speedboat pier. These guys are like human sniffer dogs. No matter how uninterested you pretend to be, they always know that you want to go to Koh Samet and won't let go of you until they have dragged you to their speedboat operator.

Last time I went to Koh Samet was about four years ago and since then they have built an open hall with several desks where you can buy speedboat tickets. We were ushered to one desk and quoted a price of 3,000 Baht for four people for a return trip. I thought that was a bit expensive and mentioned that last time I had paid 1,700 Baht (I omitted to say that this had been the price for two people). We were then offered tickets for 2,000 Baht provided we shared the speedboat with other tourists. We accepted and it took only about ten minutes for the boat to fill up and we were on our way to the island where everybody was dropped off at their chosen destination. On the way back from Koh Samet we did not even have to share the boat with other people.

While on the island we talked to a Thai woman who had been on our speedboat with her farang husband. They had to pay 1,800 Baht for two people. I don't think she was very pleased to learn that we only had to pay 200 Baht more for four persons.

This was my third trip to Koh Samet by speedboat and it was the first time that I had to pay the National Park fee. As soon as we stepped onto the beach a park official approached us and collected the park fee (200 Baht for farang and 40 Baht for Thai visitors). On my earlier visits nobody ever bothered any visitors arriving by speedboat.

TomUK
    You are never too old to learn. You are never too young to teach.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to TomUK For This Useful Post:

pkm (08-11-11)

Thanks

Re: Koh Samet by Speedboat

I just take the local Ferry for 30-40 ThB from Ban Phae to Koh Samet. It takes about 30 minutes. I wasn't impressed by Koh Samet. A lot of Mozzies, lousy roads (because it is actually a National park) and more expensive than Pattaya. I didn't find the food all that great, although my Thai GF & I ate what the locals ate. I never went into any of the more expensive hotels or restaurants. Koh Samet seems to be a favorite of German & Dutch Tourists. Nothing wrong with them, just they tend to push up the prices. There is a nice Aquarium in Ban Phae. Check the day closures.

Thread Information