PHP Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(433) : eval()'d code on line 110
Business opportunities
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Business opportunities

We are currently living in U.S.A.. Me retired. My wife (thai) and I are thinking of returning to Thailand to live and start a business. We figure that B30,000 per month would see us well. Any suggestions on what type of business could get us that income? We would have about 300,000 to invest. Retail shop, Coffee shop, maybe a small manufacturing outfit. Open to any suggestions.
    Thanks
    Treefella

Thanks

Re: Business opportunities

Is that 300,000 US dollars, well why would you want to work at a business. There are many relatively safe investments that will give you that type of income. An example in Australia would be a portfolio of relatively stable Australian Blue chip shares many of which have fully taxed paid dividends of 5% which will give you this type of income.
    Now if your talking about 300,000 baht to invest, your going to have to be very innovative to make B30,000 per month.

Thanks

As your wife is Thai she should have some good ideas what might work or what not.

She should also ask some Thai relatives and friends in Thailand.
    My interesting blog about Thailand at Thailand Blog ---> click here

Thanks

Sorry but that number is B300,000. I am on a pension that will see us through quite well but was hoping to keep productive and earn while i am still on the youngish side. We dont want to "make our fortunes" while there, we just hope to make a few bucks to add to the till. Maybe even B20,000, just to keep busy.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,930 Times in 1,180 Posts

You, as a foreigner, need to invest a million baht and have at least x number of Thai partners and y number of Thai employees to gain a work permit to work in thailand. Also there are *many* jobs that are not legal for a foreigner to do in Thailand.

David
    My new travel blog: https://www.weekender.blog/

6. The Following User Says Thank You to David_Loves_Ubonwan For This Useful Post:

Mahindrasarath (28-11-11)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by David_Loves_Ubonwan View Post
    You, as a foreigner, need to invest a million baht and have at least x number of Thai partners and y number of Thai employees to gain a work permit to work in thailand. Also there are *many* jobs that are not legal for a foreigner to do in Thailand.

David
    David the business can be in his wife's name, he can sit back relaxes and get a hobby, maybe even work in the business as a volunteer, so long as he's not getting paid, his wife's money that she earns is all in the family anyway.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,930 Times in 1,180 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by paul_au View Post
    David the business can be in his wife's name, he can sit back relaxes and get a hobby, maybe even work in the business as a volunteer, so long as he's not getting paid, his wife's money that she earns is all in the family anyway.
    Legally you need a work permit in Thailand whether you get paid or not, it is a 'work' permit not an 'earning' permit.

David
    My new travel blog: https://www.weekender.blog/

Thanks
    Thanked 3,211 Times in 1,966 Posts

I think the small businesses that do best are filling a niche in their area, so you might need to use some time doing research into what is needed in your community, not just Thailand in general.

Then if you have a few choices you need to take stock of your own talents and strengths and decide what you can put your heart and energy into.

Here in the USA it takes an average of three years for a business to even begin to realize it's goals. You might expect a comparable amount of time in Thailand. You have to be doing something you really believe in to stick with it through the early times.

If you choose retail, remember these three words ~ location, location, location.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by David_Loves_Ubonwan View Post
    Legally you need a work permit in Thailand whether you get paid or not, it is a 'work' permit not an 'earning' permit.

David
    I disagree, if you are paying to do an activity whether it bungy jumping or riding a jet ski, for some that may be considered work, for others it is entertainment. If the husband is found sweeping the floors in the wife's cafe lounge, the wife can say, this guys just a tourist, he paying me to sweep the floors, that's his entertainment, that's how he gets his kicks if he is found cooking in the kitchen, well he is taking cooking classes, he not working, that's his entertainment. What I'm saying, there's a fine line between work and entertainment.

Thanks

Paul, you really make me laugh; do you think she can keep it a secret that in fact he really is her husband.

Do you think the Police Officers are stupid if they find him sweeping the floor every day or taking cooking class many years.

That's a kind of tourist who can be there for many years.

Also I bet they will have a look at his Passport and then they will know that he is married with the owner (his wife) and that he hasn't just a Tourist Visa but lives here.

Paul your advices get more curious the older you get, why don't you just admit once that you were wrong and David was right.
    My interesting blog about Thailand at Thailand Blog ---> click here

Thread Information