Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Driving in Thailand, something we all know?

http://www.channel4.com/news/the-und...hailands-roads

I've been to Thailand many times and been on many buses, i try to keep away from motor bike taxis as much as i can, but i still do use them, now buses? compaired to mini buses, i would use a big bus without any worrys, as what could you do? it would be awful bad luck if you did have a fatal accident from being in one.

But renting a motor bike for me is a definite No no, the video in the post above is a must watch, im just suprised so many people dont know how poor road safety is in most undeveloped countrys,They are all the same! LETHAL!

Thanks

Re: Driving in Thailand, something we all know?

Accidents happen everywhere, I guess they emphasize it more when tourists die in other countries.
    Here in Australia they do anyway.

Thanks

Robski your probably right but something like over 4 times the death rate in Thailand and Cambodia to the western world for road traffic accidents, just look at the amounts that die at Christamas, New year, and Thai New year Songand!!! so-called "seven dangerous days" over the New Year, i cant remember what the term is for the songand holiday period for the same thing, but its something near the above.
    I would hate to think what the numbers are for road deaths in India!!!!!

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Well having lived and driven here for 2 years ..... Take it from me ... Going out on the roads is a lottery. I'm very surprised with this forum ... That when you find this site you go onto the Front Page ... And the first article is about driving in Thailand ... And it starts with driving in Thailand is not only safe .... But easy !!!! Well I think that is a very misleading article .... Some poor person might read that and think ... Hey when I go to Thailand I'll rent a car !!!! Ok ... Lets go through the options .... Driving a car ... Well you have to be ready for motorbikes to be coming at you on your side of the road ... That overtaking is done either side of you ... Lorry's, coaches and minibuses will drive right behind you until you move out of there way ...
    Get on a taxi motorbike !!! Well they will squeeze through all the gaps ... They wont worry about your safety on the back .... Wet weather ... That wont slow them down. Taxi's ... Went in one in Bangkok Saturday !!! I'm sure they are all budding F1 drivers ... White knuckle ride every time. Buses !!! Well buses coaches ... Minibuses ... They all drive like manics ... Of course on the VIP buses you get the added bonus of having your suitcase stolen !!!

Why is it like this !!! Well you can get a driving licence without ever taking a lesson !!! The majority of Thai drivers don't have a lot of road sense .. The condition of a lot of roads is very bad. They don't have a system to ban you from driving .... Classic case is my brother-in-law .... A very nice guy ... But like a lot of Thai men ... Likes a whiskey .... Well one night he went out ... After drinking about half a bottle of whiskey ... Had a head on crash in his truck .... Arrested by the police ... Released without charge 2 hours later ... Comes home and borrows his sisters car and goes out drinking again !!! Nothing more done to him !!! I would imagine that there is a lot of drunk drivers out there. Not saying this is just a problem in Thailand ... But it is very dangerous on the roads here. Having said all that .. I go out most days either in our truck .. Or scooter ... Well proves I'm a bit mad ..lol.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to hoistman For This Useful Post:

cdnski12 (12-03-13), khonrai (31-01-12), mistifarang (30-01-13)

Thanks

We usually go straight from the airport to Kalasin. I have rented a pickup several times and have also taken the A/C bus. I am not in the least bit afraid to take the bus, but have only taken a night bus one time (from Somdet to Pattaya). I do not drive in any major city and rarely drive at night, so I feel fine about it (even though I have to drive on the opposite side of the road than I am used to). I ain't skeered.
    Life is learning. If you stop learning, you might as well be dead.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to visionchaser45 For This Useful Post:

cdnski12 (12-03-13)

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ian71 View Post
    Thai New year Songand!!! so-called "seven dangerous days" over the New Year, i cant remember what the term is for the songand holiday
    Hi Ian ... Sorry to pick you up .. But the Thai New Year is called Songkran.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to hoistman For This Useful Post:

Marie (31-01-12)

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Something I should have mentioned about driving in Thailand .... If someone flashes there headlights at you .... It means don't go
    Its the opposite to what I am used to. In the UK if someone flashed you it meant go !! Its taken me a while to get used to that ... It could be fatal if you go when someone flashes you here ... So if you drive here, please remember that.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hoistman View Post
    Hi Ian ... Sorry to pick you up .. But the Thai New Year is called Songkran.
    Thanks for that, i must admit i've always had a problem pronoucing the word, but for sake of Writing everything in Thai,วันสงกรานต์ or double checking everything you want to write because different ways people pronounce the words in English and the fact you understood the word anyway,

remember if its not written in Thai its not truely correct any way written in western font, as thai tone markers dont exist out side learning thai.
    also puts people off posting anything, as we have the number one person already here for attention to mistake details David! :(

Only being picky here but by following the forum for a long time now, it does seem to have scared off lots of beginners from people being over critical on posts, i hope everyone realises its hard to write a thai word in English when you might only just be able to pronouce it!
    but when your trying to put it down on paper, your trying to translate a thai sound what has no equivilent in English. now obviously if written in thai should be correct, but this is miles off a high percentage of people who vistit the forum.

obviously no excuse for me as i can read and write Thai back of the class ian ha ha, but serious point not every can use a Thai/English dictionary and i think the better at Thai many of us become we forget the how hard it is for the poor beginners.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Now now Ian71 ... I think you are being picky ... But if your 71 .. I'll excuse you.

Attachment 16184

Thanks

Ha ha good one Hoistman, now you be careful driving in Thailand, watch out for those Cement mixers!!!!!

Thread Information