PHP Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(433) : eval()'d code on line 110
Isan trip plans?
    Thanks
    My Mum and I are planning our first Thailand trip and are going to start from Bangkok, fly to Vientiane, then travel around to Nong Khai, to Surin, back to Bangkok and then of course for some sun near Trang.

I was wondering what this sounded like to you as a 3-week trip? We would both like to stay away from all the 'touristy sites' and have read a lot of the northeastern areas.

Am getting quite excited about our trip even though we aren't going until November!!

Would be great to hear from you and any information for these places (particularly Nong Khai and Surin) would be appreciated. We are planning to stay at a guesthouse in Surin called Pirom's House and it sounds like he has tours around the area..

Many thanks, Lee

Thanks
    I spent three weeks in a small village up by Yasothon with my wife. It was a nice time. The people were very friendly, it was incredibly inexpensive (except beer, which was just as expensive as everywhere else I've ever been), and in general a good time.

WARNING: I hated the food. There was no comparison between a Thai restaraunt in Bangkok and a Thai restaraunt in Saimun.

Thanks
    LOL the food!!!

Well you just need an open mind, much of the same flavors are present IMHO, don't try to figure out what you are eating. It might even help not to look at it, if it is your first experience enjoy the flavors first then ask

I was very surprised to find out my favorite paste/sauce to dip my rice in was raw beef minced with lemongrass and ground roasted rice. Som moo one of the most popular Sausages is almost a pickled sausage eaten usually raw, made of PORK!!! Took me a couple years, and a couple beers, to finally get the nerve to taste it. Now we make it almost every week in our house.

I would suggest a book on the Lao language as well as the Thai language considering where you plan to go most people will understand the Laotion more so than the Thai, or at least you wouldn't seem 'brand new' to the area

3 weeks is plenty of time to make quite a bit of friends. I wish you good luck in your travels. Let us know what you thought of it when you return to your home. If you go back home!
    Since light travels faster than sound, people appear bright until you hear them speak....and in every forum you will find at least one.

When you critisize someone, walk a mile in his shoes first; then, if he gets mad, he'll be a mile away and barefoot.

Ferret Guest
    I would suggest travelling from Nhon Kai, Udon Thani, KhonKaen, Kalasin, Surin, Korat then Bangkok.
    Don't set any times for each place, just when you get there make a descision then.
    I am personally biased towards KhonKaen, lots to see and do.
    Have a look at this LINK and at the links to various destinations around the area on the left of page.
    Hope it helps

Thanks
    Stacker
    Doubt I'll ever consider the food a big plus in Isan. But that's OK, can't have everything. My wife knows how to cook to my taste, so we'll be cool. We plan to move there permanently in 2008, but I'm eligable to retire now, so if I don't like my follow on assignment then I will move to Thailand next year. Back to Yasothon.

Thread Information